Author Topic: From Staircase to Stage - Raekwon Book  (Read 569 times)

The Predator

From Staircase to Stage - Raekwon Book
« on: December 14, 2021, 02:13:12 AM »
The Chef got a book out -

Book Review: Raekwon Gives Us a Powerful Snapshot of ’90s Hip-Hop and NY Life in ‘Raekwon: From Staircase to Stage’

The last decade has seen an interesting phenomena in hip-hop: It’s stars are getting old yet remaining relevant. Over it’s four plus decades as a genre, this isn’t something rap has really dealt with. It’s a genre focused on youth and constant evolution, changing sounds—and therefore stars—on a seemingly monthly basis. Add in the violence of the 1990s tragically taking a lot of its biggest stars and only now are we starting to see old rap stars. Jay-Z dropped 4:44 in 2017, Kayne West keeps putting records out (for better or for worse) and Eminem still hasn’t slowed down.

More importantly however, this allows them to tell their stories. This serves two purposes: Serving as a guide for the younger generations, and capturing a pivotal time in hip-hop’s development into the dominant culture it is today. Wu-Tang Clan’s Raekwon the Chef, one of the most underrated artists around, is the latest star telling their story in his new book Raekwon: From Staircase to Stage. And he has a lot of wisdom to pass down. He was there in early 1990s as hip-hop left street corners and basements and moved to major labels. Wu-Tang Clan’s 36 Chambers is a classic in every way, with Raekwon front and centre. He came up during the era of where hip-hop was a group endeavour, but seamlessly slid into the solo artist era, releasing his own classic Only Built 4 Cuban Linx in 1995. In short, he was there at the birth of hip-hop and has rode all it’s waves since.

But like all great autobiographies, Raekwon is more than a personal history lesson. Instead, it is a time capsule, capturing ‘80s life in the projects. Through retelling his own life, he dissects the vicious cycles of poverty, the cruelty of the American dream and the hopelessness of trying to drag yourself out of it all. He talks of his own struggles with drugs, of dealing to support his family, and all the mental energy it takes just to survive. He tells similar stories of his friends and neighbours. Combined, it becomes a powerful story of the pitfalls of our racist system, showing how and why these impossible situations force people to make difficult decisions. Mirroring his albums, Raekwon tells his own story and manages to capture so many other people’s lives in the process.

This is when the album is at its best, and fortunately Raekwon knows . Written alongside veteran writer Anthony Bozza, Raekwon does an excellent job of figuring out what’s important in the story and focusing mostly on that. It discusses his childhood and teen years, the making of the classic albums, and the memorable fights and missteps that marked the later years of Wu-Tang. It spares no details of this fights with RZA or the backstabbing and competition inherent within a supergroup. Meanwhile details of his relationships, children, or family relationships are kept to a minimum, only mentioned when necessary. By focusing on the music and not the personal, the book reaches the level of hip-hop history.

Raekwon is an entertaining, powerful and eye-opening snapshot of an era, as well as being a juicy and sometimes scandalous look inside hip-hop’s biggest group. The Chef has found a way to age gracefully in his field, being able to tell his story along the way. It’s no surprise however—he’s always been a hip-hop pioneer.

---------------------------

CBS - Raekwon reflects on Wu-Tang Clan and new book

^ Vlad interviews Raekwon about stories in the new book, click on yt for other parts.

Rae' and Ghost drop more jewels in this recent Nore interview -

----------------------

Salon magazine interview -

Raekwon opens up about life before and with the Wu-Tang Clan

Salon talks with Raekwon about his memoir and stories "too hard, too grimy" for "Wu-Tang: An American Saga"

By D. Watkins

Published December 11, 2021 11:00AM (EST)

"I met my father once." Hip hop icon Raekwon begins his memoir, "From Staircase to Stage," with this line. The talented lyricist and cofounding member of the '90s mega-group Wu-Tang Clan, known on stage as The Chef, didn't have a relationship with his father. When we sat down recently for a conversation about his book, music, career and life, he talked about how his desire for male camaraderie, informed by that absence, impacted his journey into music.

Raekwon is opening up now about his upbringing for his fans and a younger generation, some of whom have been introduced to him through "Wu-Tang: An American Saga," the Hulu series loosely based on the group's early days, now in its second season.

RELATED:  "There's things you don't know about Wu": RZA on "American Saga" & his new post-Katrina heist film

"I went a little bit more in depth with things that I would've wanted to be in the series, but it might have just been a little bit too hard or too grimy or too much," he said of his book, now available from Gallery. "The most important thing was to do it and let it be from the heart. Something that's real, but at the same time, something that gives these youngsters some hope."

Hope is all Raekwon had. Born Corey Woods in Brownsville, New York, in 1970, Raekwon had a loving mother, extended family and a community who cared for him dearly, but that didn't protect him from the societal ills that Black men born in the '70s and '80s in underserved urban communities faced. Police brutality, poor housing, poor schools, food deserts, limited opportunities, racism, gang violence, and fatherlessness — all fell on Raekwon's head before middle school.

When he was six years old, a big cousin said to him, "We are taking you to see your father today." Happily, Raekwon followed him for two blocks to his father's home. His dad walked out, gave Raekwon a giant hug, and said, "You want to meet your grandma?" Raekwon walked another block or so behind his father to meet his grandma.

It was an exciting day of firsts –– a day that could've changed the trajectory of Raekwon's life. He'd have a grandmother to add to the love he already had at home, plus a dad to teach him the streets — how to navigate the blocks, the shooters, the users, the peer pressure, the cops and every other trap waiting impatiently to bind up Black inner-city kids. Raekwon's dad represented hope, but that hope didn't last. While Raekwon sat with his grandma in the kitchen, his dad said he was heading to the bathroom, then slipped out the door and out of his life forever.

"I always wanted to have a male figure to talk to and emulate what they were doing," Raekwon said. "My mom had to work, and she left me to be in the streets, around whatever was outside, so you know, once you walk out that door, you learn everything according to the streets"

Raekwon's verse on the single "C.R.E.A.M," from Wu-Tang's 1993 debut album "Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)," blew him into mainstream. The streets almost instantly took to Wu-Tang's unorthodox style of gritty street raps cut with clips of kung fu and karate flicks.

"Wu-Tang came at a time where things wasn't the way they are now," Raekwon said. "You had to work a little harder. The crew was tighter. It was something about having a team back then. If you had a team, y'all was strong. You wanted to represent and see all your brothers win. You had groups out there before us, but not nine dudes."

Method Man, who had released his eponymous hit single a few months before the album came out, was clearly the group's break-out star. But it was the hustlers, the slicksters and money-getters alike who saw themselves in Raekwon and connected most to him.

It is important to know if you weren't there, and to remember if you were, that the aesthetic of the early '90s was dusty. The dustier you were, the more positive attention you received. This was the uniform in most east coast urban areas: baggy carpenter jeans that swallowed scuffed Timberland boots, or Timbs — mainly the wheat-colored Buttas, or Beef and Broccolis, the brown and green. Tops were Polo, Nautica, Hilfiger — CHAPS if you were cheap, or broke and needed something new. These items came brand new from department stores, out of the back of a booster's Chevy Blazer or straight from your homeboy's closet.

The drink was Colt 45 or Old English or Bud Ice or Seagram's Gin or E&J; Hennessy or Remy if you had some extra money. The blunts were Philly or White Owl, the weed was called Arizona and always seemed to have small traces of buzzed orange hair in it, the snacks were Cheetos and Now and Laters and Laffy Taffys, and the combination of all — the big clothes, the hard booze, the tattered boots, the sticky snacks, the harsh weed, the blunt guts and everything else was dusty. 1994 was dusty. Raekwon managed to shine like diamond, and that set him apart.

Wu-Tang wasn't dirty, but that's what the early '90s was. The RZA performed in dark army gear and stocking caps; Method Man shot a video with half of his braids undone; Ol' Dirty Bastard, wielding 40s of Olde English, had it right there in his name. But not Raekwon. While many in the group excelled at griminess in a grimy era, Raekwon sported 360-degree waves, clean Timbs or fresh sneakers, and a bright gold and diamond figaro link chain that sat on top of his crisp Nautica shirts. Raekwon came on the scene clean, and he knew it.

"A hustler don't stack his money, he shows it on himself for the world to see," Raekwon writes of his early success. "I started making the rounds at different stores too: Saks Fifth Avenue, Lord & Taylor, Barneys."

In the book, Raekwon reflected on the group's evolution as a crew and as individuals as they saw massive success. "As we got on, things start to transition. Egos, money issues, family issues, things of that nature, being a businessman, putting that hat on. Something totally different from being in the streets just a couple of years before that."

In "From Staircase to Stage," Raekwon writes about his adolescence growing up in the Park Hill section of Staten Island: "A beautiful place, but also a dangerous place," full of experienced street dudes who specialized in crack sales, robbing and murder. The beautiful parts of Park Hill allowed and even challenged Raekwon to fall in love with hip hop culture, to connect with future Wu-Tang members, to hone his craft, to see himself as being more than a street guy caught up in a drug game — and to dream outside of Park Hill. The dangerous parts of the same neighborhood slam-dunked Raekwon right into the middle of the drug trade where he warred with other blocks, drug crews and the NYPD during his turbulent adolescence.

"Everything we learned was basically through older dudes in the hood," Raekwon shared with me. "Some hustlers and stick-up kids, but they loved us, they embraced us, they wanted the best for us."

It was Park Hill where Raekwon left his mother's home, when her boyfriend made fun of him because of his lack of formal education and how he hung around in the streets all day. Instead of being a father figure and sharing survival skills, his mother's boyfriend took the opportunity to chastise Raekwon for not having the guidance he needed. Raekwon challenged his mom, asking her to take up for him, but she saw that as disrespectful and ended up kicking him out.

In this moment the rapper dived deep into the spiral of pain, hopelessness, and violence that made up the content of most of his early raps. Those stories and pain still resonate with many fans. His rhymes speak to the deep pain of the fatherless generation. In "From Staircase to Stage," Raekwon bravely takes readers on his emotional journey, beyond what we think we know, right into the center of the reality of a kid who was not supposed to make it.

Twenty-eight years later and Raekwon is revered as one of the most distinctive voices in rap and a standout member of the Wu-Tang Clan. At 51, he's a platinum-selling artist, a record executive, owner of Licataa wine company and founder of Ice H2O records. He is a sought-after collaborator, appearing on tracks with the some of the biggest acts in hip hop, including OutKast, Nas and Kanye West. He is recognized as a pioneer of the Mafioso Rap style, where his thick, tangled lyrics, full of luxuries and gangster references, syrup over tracks in a way that was so real, so poignant, that it's still mimicked to this day.

But the question is, how did he do it? How did he make it this far from poverty without a dad or stable household? The answers to that question and more lie in between the pages of his memoir, a harsh, but honest account of the other side of musical fame. Those moments include the time a guy who was jealous of Wu-Tang's success shot at them, hitting U-God's son; the group member who slept with a fan he met on the road and woke up to his money and Mercedes missing; and the tour when their bus was raided by racist Canadian Mounties in a way that was "unusual for musicians coming into Canada" because they were young Black men.

"I had never been a guy that really just let people into my private life like that," Raekwon told me. "But being that we have so much history in the game, when I think about this young generation, I think it's important that guys such as myself write a book about our stories and our times of being out there in the street, dreaming for this kind of platform."

« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 02:25:54 AM by The Predator »

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: From Staircase to Stage - Raekwon Book
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 04:04:17 AM »
I listened and I wasn't that impressed.  U-God's book was better of the two Wu-tang autobiographies.  Both of them spend a lot of time bitchin about Rza and Divine.

It seems obvious to me Rza and Divine were smarter and handled their business better than everybody else.  I mean... me being a Dre fan the most interesting part was when Raekwon sits down for a meeting with Dre.  And so it's him, Rza, and Dre in a meeting room.  And Dre's talking about doing Rae's Aftermath Album and asking how much Raekwon would want for it.

Now.. this is in the year like 2008.  This is when Busta was over at Aftermath and during this period Busta and Raekwon were running really tight on the strength of them both being 5% Nation and so on...

So Dre asks Rae how much he wants for an album?  I'm thinking in my head that Rae should be paying Dre to do an album for him!!  It should be the other way around.  But here is Dre asking Rae how much he wants for an Aftermath album. 

RAE TELLS DR. DRE GIVE ME $5,000,000 dollars!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 

Are you fuccing kidding me!!  Even Rza was like "That's a bad idea". 

(I mean you wonder why they got so much beef wit Rza and Divine these guys like Ghost, U-God, and Rae have inflated egos and think they are worth all these millions.  But I can tell you in the midwest nobody hardly even knew the Only Built For Cuban Links album even existed in the mid-90's.  That shit may have been huge in New York, but they weren't big in the Midwest.  Wu-tang was big in the midwest, but not Raekwon.  And I'm not saying I agree with that, midwest headz were ignorant, but I'm stating facts.  Rae's albums made zero noise outside of New York)

So in typical Dre fashion Dre says, "Cool" and then smothers the project in red tape, never pays Rae a dime, and then let's Rae have 4 Dre beats they'd already recorded for the album FOR FREE just out of love and respect from Dre's side.  But ultimately it was Dre's way of saying, "look Rae, I love you and I'm a fan of your music, but ain't no way in hell I'm giving you 5 Million"
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: Matty

Matty

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 05:18:00 AM »
sounds like a Dre litmus test, always give them enough rope to hang themselves. and the greed came right through. so that's at least one Aftermath album where the artist was the one to screw it up.

thegooddoc

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 08:13:25 PM »
That story seems unbelievable.  A guy that barely went platinum with his first album wanted $5MM for an album that went on to sell 132,000? 

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 04:02:48 AM »
sounds like a Dre litmus test, always give them enough rope to hang themselves. and the greed came right through. so that's at least one Aftermath album where the artist was the one to screw it up.

Bingo!  That was exactly how I read it.  Dre wanted to see if he was the type of cat he could do business with--and Rae showed his true colors and the same reason he's a bitter asshole to Rza all these years later after Rza made the Wu-Tang a worldwide legend.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 04:06:13 AM »
That story seems unbelievable.  A guy that barely went platinum with his first album wanted $5MM for an album that went on to sell 132,000?

Story is straight out of Rae's own autobiography.

Says a lot about Dre, Rae, and Rza. 

Rza - The fact Rza was able to get a classic album out of those guys in 94' is remarkable, not because they aren't extremely talented, but considering how big of assholes they are to deal with.  Then Rza managed to get the double album multiplatinum and near-classic out of them in 97' (and they subsequently sabotaged the tour.  Rza says sometimes he'd show up and like only 2 other members would be there, and he'd be scrambling around last minute trying to figure out how they could do the show).   He continued to build their brand thereafter--in spite of their efforts to fucc it up.

Rae - Inflated ego and ungrateful

Dre - He's dealt with enough assholes in his career to know what to look for.

Matty

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 08:15:42 AM »
did the book say Dre gave him four beats? because there was only the two on his album from what i remember.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 08:35:23 AM »
did the book say Dre gave him four beats? because there was only the two on his album from what i remember.

Yeah it sure did.  Rae says Dre ended up giving him those 4 beats for free. 

The way Rae explains it Rae demanded 5 mill and Dre actually says yes but then got busy with other artists (which really means Dre was probably like whatever fucc this guy, lol) so that since Dre was busy with other artists and couldn’t get around to Raes project Rae told Dre he wasn’t gonna keep waiting around for Dre so Dre was like “alright cool, my bad I been busy with stuff but tell you what you can go ahead and keep the 4 joints we already did free and clear” so Rae wasn’t mad at him

Matty

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 08:39:40 AM »
i wonder what the other tracks were then? maybe i'm forgetting something but presumably unreleased. weird he didn't use all four if they were free & cleared.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 11:13:27 AM »
i wonder what the other tracks were then? maybe i'm forgetting something but presumably unreleased. weird he didn't use all four if they were free & cleared.

No.. from the book he did use the 4 Dre tracks on the Only Built For Cuban Links album... I got to go check myself though I never heard them

Matty

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 01:13:57 PM »
No.. from the book he did use the 4 Dre tracks on the Only Built For Cuban Links album... I got to go check myself though I never heard them

'Catalina' & 'About Me' are the Dre tracks and they stand out pretty strong as Dre tracks w/ Batson piano elements. unless he mixed/produced someone elses beat i'm not sure what the other two could possibly be.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2021, 12:20:46 AM »
'Catalina' & 'About Me' are the Dre tracks and they stand out pretty strong as Dre tracks w/ Batson piano elements. unless he mixed/produced someone elses beat i'm not sure what the other two could possibly be.

Yeah I went and checked and that’s what I saw... maybe the two others were tracks that Dre owned because Dre is known for also buying beats he likes from other producers... not sure.  But the Dre tracks are dope!

Also notice, Busta is on there... that’s the reason Rae was hanging around Aftermath because Bus and Rae are both 5% fam and were chillin together every day during that era.. So Bus was always bringing him around the Aftermath studio and Rae even served as an advisor for Bustas album.  Rae didn’t actually think he had it any more and Busta was at his side like a big brother trying to build his confidence and get him back in the studio.   Busta is one of those live and breathe hiphop cats (I mean this is the same guy from Leaders of the New School) so he’s always on—but Rae was like ready to give up the game

goodyoung

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2022, 01:12:32 AM »
He didn't.
Rae must have misspoken, I guess. I remember him saying he had 3 Dre beats back then, 2 of which were used on the album. The third one I think was rumored to be titled "1000 Grams" and he wanted to use it in the future.