Author Topic: Tokyo to get world's first 'maglev' elevator  (Read 409 times)

K A I N

Tokyo to get world's first 'maglev' elevator
« on: January 17, 2006, 07:25:08 PM »
TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- The world's first elevators controlled by magnetic levitation will debut as early as 2008, a Tokyo-based company said Tuesday.

Toshiba Elevator and Building Systems Corp. will employ so-called maglev technology -- capable of suspending objects in mid-air through the combination of magnetic attraction and repulsion -- to control the lifts, it said in a statement.

The maglev elevators will be quieter and more comfortable and will travel 300 meters (984 feet) per minute -- not as fast as the company's conventional lifts that can move up to 1,010 meters (3,314 feet) a minute, Toshiba said.

Maglev technology has already been used to develop high-speed trains. The only passenger-carrying maglev train in the world links Pudong International Airport in Shanghai, China, to the city center at speeds of 430 kilometers (267 miles) per hour.

A maglev shuttle in Birmingham, U.K. was abandoned in 1995 after 11 years in operation because of technical glitches.

Sikotic™

Re: Tokyo to get world's first 'maglev' elevator
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 08:01:27 PM »
Man Asians got technology on lockdown. My asian homies go to Japan and buy all the new stuff that's out over there.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

coola

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 08:28:25 PM »
fuck that, it's only a matter of time until the power cuts, the magnets fail, then the elevator drops...

K A I N

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 08:32:11 PM »
fuck that, it's only a matter of time until the power cuts, the magnets fail, then the elevator drops...

I don't think it works that way...either your in motion or not.

coola

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 08:32:54 PM »
^^ i dont know, but you'd think the magnets are powered with electricity.

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 08:37:08 PM »
nope
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

Ðøšïå

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 09:56:33 PM »

you know what a magnet is?

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 11:04:24 PM »
yeah it's powered by electricity, its called electro-magnets or something like that, u can't get enough forces with standard magnets, but that shit must have security systems with generetor if power fail

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 11:46:52 PM »

Apparently you don't.  You know how big a standard non electro-magnet would have to be to suspend a fucking elevator?  Huge.  It's obviously an electro-magnet, they're hundreds of times more powerful than traditional magnets the same size. 

If your mind would have wondered a little farther, maybe you would have tried to realize how they would use a regular magnet to move an elevator up or down.  They couldn't, because you can't adjust the magnetic properties of a stable magnet, you'd have to use an electro-magnet and control the current raising or lowering the level of repulsion or attraction. 

Yet another example of somebody acting like they know shit, when the guy he was critisizing was right the entire time. 

hempside

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 12:23:47 AM »
heyheyhey smoke weed everyday.

Don Seer

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 01:41:21 AM »
that shit must have security systems with generetor if power fail

of course.. probably enough in some kind of capacitor enough to auto drop the elevator smoothly.. plus a back up generator etc..

JMan

• The Young Ghetto Sinatra
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Say No to E-Rape
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 02:05:21 AM »
thats crazy to think there this close to achieveing this type of technology advancement..

K A I N

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 07:29:55 AM »

Apparently you don't.  You know how big a standard non electro-magnet would have to be to suspend a fucking elevator?  Huge.  It's obviously an electro-magnet, they're hundreds of times more powerful than traditional magnets the same size. 

If your mind would have wondered a little farther, maybe you would have tried to realize how they would use a regular magnet to move an elevator up or down.  They couldn't, because you can't adjust the magnetic properties of a stable magnet, you'd have to use an electro-magnet and control the current raising or lowering the level of repulsion or attraction. 

Yet another example of somebody acting like they know shit, when the guy he was critisizing was right the entire time. 

lol shut up

K A I N

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 07:41:32 AM »
Three types of technology

Each implementation of the magnetic levitation principle for train-type travel involves advantages and disadvantages. Time will tell as to which principle, and whose implementation, wins out commercially.

Technology    Pros         Cons

EMS (Electromagnetic)    
Does not carry its propulsion system; can attain very high speeds; magnetic fields inside and outside the vehicle are insignificant; highly reliable computer controlled operations; proven, commercially available technology.
Guideway includes stator packs along entire length which add cost to construction, but do enable high speeds without vehicle weight penalty.

Superconducting EDS (Electrodynamic)    Powerful onboard superconducting magnets enable high speeds and heavy load capacity; has recently demonstrated (Dec 2005) successful operations using high temperature superconductors (HTS) in its onboard magnets, cooled with inexpensive liquid nitrogen.
Up until 2005, the system used low-temperature superconductors refrigerated with liquid helium - an extremely expensive approach; strong magnetic fields onboard the train make the train inaccessible to passengers with pacemakers; vehicle must be wheeled for travel at low speeds; system per mile cost still considered prohibitive.

Inductrack System (Permanent Magnets)       Failsafe suspension - no power required to activate magnets   

New technology

I'm thinking they will use the Inductrack System for elevators  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halbach_array
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 09:11:06 AM by K A I N »

coola

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 08:16:02 AM »
^ con - new techno ?? i doubt they will be using it if a con is thats it's new technology... i think they would most likely use this technology for train systems, like the TGV or watever...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 08:18:10 AM by Chief »