Author Topic: Ice Cube Wants The Last Laugh With Independent LP Featuring Lil Jon, Snoop  (Read 1663 times)

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
NEW YORK — Almost 20 years after N.W.A pushed their first musical offerings independently, one of their founding fathers has decided to put major labels in the rearview and go back to his roots.

"What is a record company going to

"What is a record company going to do for me that I can't do for myself? Nothing." — Ice Cube

do for me that I can't do for myself? Nothing," Ice Cube said Wednesday night in a New York studio as he treated MTV to some selections off his upcoming LP, Laugh Now Cry Later. "It's nothing they can offer me to have a major percent of my record. It's really all about ownership at this time. This is not a new page in the game. This an old page. People are caught up in double, triple platinum. That's lovely, but what's double platinum if you not getting double-platinum money? It's all about what you take home to your family at the end of the day if you gonna make this game a profession."

Not only does Cube feel he's going to benefit financially from going back to being an independent artist, he also says it has granted him artistic freedom. The pioneering MC has recorded more than 30 tracks so far even though he doesn't plan on putting out the album until June 6.

"At some point an artist needs to put his money where his mouth is," he said. "Stop looking for the next advance. A record company's schedule sometimes don't coincide with what you need to do as an artist. By me not being on no schedules or deadlines, I made a better record because of that."

A few years ago, Cube told MTV News that he would be signing to Dr. Dre's Aftermath label and putting out music with the Doc (see "Dr. Dre To Produce Next Ice Cube Record"). That album never surfaced (see "Ice Cube Puts Off Recording With Dre To Focus On Harassing Kids").

"All that was happening before 50 blew up," Cube explained. "That whole situation, you gotta follow the money in this game. Dre's attention went in [the direction of] the artist that's right now. You can't do nothing but say that was a good business move. I probably would have done the same thing. But for me, I can't wait for nobody, I been in the game too long to wait. It was time to do the record and put it out. I did a whole lot of records without Dre on them. I would love to have him participate, but for the most part, I don't need to wait on nobody right about now."

Some high-profile producers have been making themselves available to Cube such as Lil Jon, Swizz Beatz and Scott Storch. Snoop Dogg appears on two records, Juvenile has one cameo and Cube is also in talks to have a guest spot from the Diplomats' Juelz Santana.

Laugh Now Cry Later finds Cube returning to his role as social commentator on "Guns and Drugs." And with "Child Support," he once again reiterates that he helped start the gangsta-rap thing and that there have been many imitators over the years. "Ain't no other kings in this rap thing/ They siblings, nothing but my children/ One shot, they disappearing."

"It's a metaphor," he said. "Only a few rappers dead or alive can do that record. I feel I put in enough time in the game. I was one of the architects of this style, gangsta rap. It was time to get it off my chest and say what I think."

Cube said the album title is "really the state of everything, it seems like, from all of America to urban America to hip-hop. Everybody is doing a lot of laughing and playing and having fun, but someday you gotta pay. That's really what the album is saying."

Cube says he will not be working on any more films until after his album is released.

Rud

• Kingdingaling
  • Connected
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
props man ;)

cube has the right idea, shame bout JS & Juve on the album tho... :-\ still at least its new cube and he does sound fresh and hungry on Child Support....roll on summer!

Westcoast News Network // www.dubcnn.com // Westcoast News Network

Sikotic™

Smart move. He can do it independantly and have it done the way he wants it.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

italianguy

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!

Cube says he will not be working on any more films until after his album is released.

mauzip

props man ;)

cube has the right idea, shame bout JS & Juve on the album tho... :-\ still at least its new cube and he does sound fresh and hungry on Child Support....roll on summer!

what's wrong with juve? :-\

Maxin in the Shade

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Ice Cube Wants The Last Laugh With Independent LP Featuring Lil Jon, Snoop
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 04:37:21 PM »
'People are caught up in double, triple platinum. That's lovely, but what's double platinum if you not getting double-platinum money?'

i liked that comment.
Cube is an experienced head. He knows what hes doing.

i like the thought of a legendary MC going independent. looking forward to it
Always talkin bout the cash he got, the little pesos for shows
And God knows his materialistic raps and wack flows
are like Stay Free pads, fake V.I.P. rappers get garbage disposed
Unrecouped for his flamboyance and reflection
He's leasin rentin and frontin
- Kool Keith 'Haters'

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
cube don't need Juels Satan and Juve..
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

Tha Crip

Cube needs to put out a double album, sounds like he has enough songs and if its independent then he should have the whole say on what goes on his album (always wanted to see a double disc Cube Album)
"I F**k Wit Feds Magazine"

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Cube needs to put out a double album, sounds like he has enough songs and if its independent then he should have the whole say on what goes on his album (always wanted to see a double disc Cube Album)
actually, he does...war and peace project
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

Eihtball

Goddamn...about time a major artist did something like this.  Stood up to those major-label devils and said, "Fuck ya'll!"  This is what more rappers need to do, and now Cube's decided to set an example.  My nigga...

I like what I'm hearing about the album, too, even if Lil Jon is producing some of it.  Hey, you never know...maybe Lil Jon's energetic, up-tempo beats are exactly the sorta thing Cube needs to sound like AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted again.  Kinda sucks that it won't be out until June, tho.

props man ;)

what's wrong with juve? :-\

Yeah, I like Juve's shit...

Tha Crip

lol oh yeah, still there was a long wait for the peace disc and by the time it came out it was like a new album...i want one like all eyes on me, life after death shyt  :-\
"I F**k Wit Feds Magazine"

T-Dub

good to hear that Cube is doing it how he wants to do it and that he is putting the movie biz on hold until he completes his album.  It's hard to do that simultaneously and put out a good album.  Not really feeling the Juelz collab but regardless I'm looking forward to the album.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Cube was always the smart one.

BizzyR.I.P.

Good news. From the first two songs, sounds like this can be a great album.

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
besides those lame guest's mentioned...

good to see a new Cube.