Author Topic: Nas signs to Def Jam  (Read 1404 times)

KURUPTION-81

Re: Nas signs to Def Jam
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 10:31:07 AM »
Does anyone else think nas should be where jay, dre, 50 r . Trying to build an empire not joining one ?

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

ABN

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 10:32:06 AM »
Nas shouldīve gone independet coz with his fan base heīd easily sell 300k on a real indie(Koch only pays their artists 2-3$ a pop and their structured as a major). and that way he could deliever a real hip hop album coz i doubt Def Jam will let Nas' take as many risks as he did with Streetīs Disciple.

Well, "Street's Disciple" was a bit of a commercial disappointment, so that's understandable from a business POV.  From an artistic standpoint, tho, I really had trouble liking that album.  It was too long and frankly, self-indulgent, even by Nas' own standards.  I don't want Nas to go back to doing his Nas Escobar shit and working with Diddy, but there's a point where you can get too ambitious taking artistic risks and wind up fucking yourself over, and Nas definitely reached that point on "Street's Disciple".
donīt wanna hear anyone complain when Nas comes out doin songs with Rihanna,Teairra Mari,Memphis Bleek etc etc coz most likely thatīs whatīs gonna happen. and SD was a solid album IMO and it had an old school vibe to it that i love but i can see how some people find it hard to like it. Nas shouldīve just done his own thing coz when the majors has dictacted him what to do to sell records the results havenīt been pretty(Oochie Walley,Hate Me Now etc). but i hope Nas proves me wrong coz itīs been awhile since i heard a dope album on Def Jam.

Don Breezio

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 10:47:45 AM »
^^^ c'mon hate me now was a dope track...the video was shit but the track was sick...that whole album was dope. just because nas is signing to def jam doesnt mean he's gonna go pop....jay still releases dope shit (blueprint, black album, etc...)...give nas a little more credit than that

ABN

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 11:05:46 AM »
^^^ c'mon hate me now was a dope track...the video was shit but the track was sick...that whole album was dope. just because nas is signing to def jam doesnt mean he's gonna go pop....jay still releases dope shit (blueprint, black album, etc...)...give nas a little more credit than that
Hate Me Now wasnīt dope, donīt wanna hear no floss rapping coz that shit was boring when Nas did it in 99 and itīs still boring. TBA and the Blueprint arenīt nearly as good as people make them out to be and how many dope albums do Def Jam really drop? and how many albums do they release that arenīt full of commercial BS? even TBA and the Blueprint were full of commercial songs and thatīs the last thing i wanna hear from Nas.

wcsoldier

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2006, 11:08:45 AM »
Bad move for Nas music and I don't want to wait for a Nas album for ages

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 11:27:32 AM »
Does anyone else think nas should be where jay, dre, 50 r . Trying to build an empire not joining one ?

He's too lazy to do something like that and actually be sucessful

Jome

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006, 11:28:03 AM »
So the GOD MC signed his SON, Nas' prophecy came true.  :o

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2006, 11:29:49 AM »

LMAO!!!

Mr. Humonculous

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2006, 12:29:07 PM »

lol

Eihtball

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2006, 12:33:00 PM »

I can't really see him doing that; Nas doesn't strike me as being the HNIC type...he's most definitely an MC, not a businessman, whereas Jigga's always been more of a businessman than an MC.  Besides, The Firm was something of a move for Nas in that direction, and we all know how that turned out.

donīt wanna hear anyone complain when Nas comes out doin songs with Rihanna,Teairra Mari,Memphis Bleek etc etc coz most likely thatīs whatīs gonna happen. and SD was a solid album IMO and it had an old school vibe to it that i love but i can see how some people find it hard to like it. Nas shouldīve just done his own thing coz when the majors has dictacted him what to do to sell records the results havenīt been pretty(Oochie Walley,Hate Me Now etc). but i hope Nas proves me wrong coz itīs been awhile since i heard a dope album on Def Jam.

You don't know that Nas is going to go commercial - he already tried that for several years, and he got crucified for it.  Nas knows his audience pretty well by now, and so does his label, so I think we can be pretty sure they'll give him (most of) the artistic liberty he needs to do what he wants.

"Street's Disciple" had a lot of great tracks, but as I said before, it was too self-indulgent.  Nas' ego swelled a bit too much after everyone loved him again for making "Stillmatic" and "God's Son", and that album was pretty much the result of it.  Some artists need to realize that there's a point where you've gotta exercise self-restraint when making "personal" music - Nas' fans may be willing to support anything he does, but I need to see more artistic consistency.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 12:38:20 PM by Eihtball »

$do11a biLL$

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2006, 12:35:31 PM »
I think this is a good deal for him. Hes a big enough name that his album will come out pretty quick on def jam and no be pushed back so much. Hopefully we get to hear him the way he was back in "94-98  8)

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2006, 01:46:46 PM »

I can't really see him doing that; Nas doesn't strike me as being the HNIC type...he's most definitely an MC, not a businessman, whereas Jigga's always been more of a businessman than an MC.  Besides, The Firm was something of a move for Nas in that direction, and we all know how that turned out.

You don't know that Nas is going to go commercial - he already tried that for several years, and he got crucified for it.  Nas knows his audience pretty well by now, and so does his label, so I think we can be pretty sure they'll give him (most of) the artistic liberty he needs to do what he wants.

"Street's Disciple" had a lot of great tracks, but as I said before, it was too self-indulgent.  Nas' ego swelled a bit too much after everyone loved him again for making "Stillmatic" and "God's Son", and that album was pretty much the result of it.  Some artists need to realize that there's a point where you've gotta exercise self-restraint when making "personal" music - Nas' fans may be willing to support anything he does, but I need to see more artistic consistency.

Speaking the truth... again.Have some faith in Nas.

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2006, 04:07:55 PM »
overall i think a good move for nas. nas is a legend and should get treated like one over there so i dont expect them to be telling nas what to put out. the kings of new york together. hopefully some good tracks can follow.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2006, 07:08:50 PM »
as long as Dj Premier is involved I dont care about the label..Def Jam has now 2 big releases : The Roots & Nas

eKardz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I bleed red white and blue, I am a New York Ranger
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2006, 08:42:53 PM »
as long as Dj Premier is involved I dont care about the label..Def Jam has now 2 big releases : The Roots & Nas

and hopefully my nigga 5'9"