Author Topic: KOOOBBBEEE  (Read 9221 times)

TeeRaySix9Teen

Re: KOOOBBBEEE
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2006, 01:19:11 AM »
i just rewatched the game

kobe could have EASILY had 12 assists in that game

mihm missed like three easy lay ups from a kobe dish
parker pissed 2 easy shots
odom missed  2 or 3
brown missed one layup
and there were a couple more "c'mon guys" kobe DID pass the ball

u know im not a Kobe fan. But, like the Dallas game...at least they won. If they would have lost, there might be some criticism of him not passing. But since they won its a not a big issue for that game. I know a lotta people here worship Kobe n all so anything negative about him, cant even be imagined. But for his passing, and a real Laker fan would have to admit this, he should try and set up teammates more from the perimeter. I noticed that Kobe tends to try and set up other players more when he drives to the basket....which is good also cus it breaks down the defense. BUT, ive played with players like that...and believe me, it IS frustrating. It gives other players the impression that he only wants to pass if he can get an assist out of it. I think (Jordan did this alot) that the Lakers would be a far more dangerous if when Kobe came off those screens and curled out to the three point line....around the elbow, he found an open man either cutting to the basket or wide open in the corner for a little 15 foot jumper. You see, that when Kobe curls around those screens (especially if he's hot), he'll have two men on him when he launches a fade-away three. Thats a perfect opportunity to pass the ball instead. You have 3 men from the other team, guarding 4 of yours. And 2 of the defenders are all the way out on the three point line sticking Kobe (thinking he's going to shoot), without any chance of recovering on D if he hits a cutter. Plus, what will happen is this. At some point....when he hits those open guys and they knock down a couple shots, teams will stop following him out on those threes, and wont double him as much because they cant give up wide open shots to the other guys. And Kobe will have more one on one opportunities. All around it would be better for u guys.

LMAO...You're telling us how Kobe should play his game? I think he's doing just fine, and I trust his basketball judgement over yours...

lol youre right. Cus im sure youve never commented on how the Lakers could improve. Maybe you shouldnt be allowed to have an opinion lol. Im not saying how Kobe should play, yeah, he's doing fine. But his team isnt that great. Im guessing youve been watchin em this year....maybe not, just a guess. But man, other then him...its like watching cows fuck. Its Kobe coming off a screen, shooting a fadeaway three pointer with 2 guys in his face....and 4 other guys standing there watching. they wont win in the playoffs like that, i promise you. And i promise you Phil thinks the same way. Its like Barkley said during halftime of one of the Laker games last week. Its a great offensive players job to set up other players. Thats Kobe's job IMO too. He's a great scorer, whereas his teammates need help. the team is obviously far more effective when everyone is in on the scoring. As great of a scorer as u think he is, id guess that a wide open Odom jumper from the top of the key, or a Mihm layup, is still a more high percentage shot then a Kobe fadeaway three with one or two defenders in his face. Agreed? A great scorer (and this was Charles' argument too) can get their shots when they want to, so its their job to get others involved and in a rhythm. theres absolutely NO rhythm to this teams offense right now. Then, at those times when the team needs someone to takeover...thats when Kobe can do his thing.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2006, 01:51:47 AM »

odom missed  2 or 3
brown missed one layup

u know im not a Kobe fan. But, like the Dallas game...at least they won. If they would have lost, there might be some criticism of him not passing. But since they won its a not a big issue for that game. I know a lotta people here worship Kobe n all so anything negative about him, cant even be imagined. But for his passing, and a real Laker fan would have to admit this, he should try and set up teammates more from the perimeter. I noticed that Kobe tends to try and set up other players more when he drives to the basket....which is good also cus it breaks down the defense. BUT, ive played with players like that...and believe me, it IS frustrating. It gives other players the impression that he only wants to pass if he can get an assist out of it. I think (Jordan did this alot) that the Lakers would be a far more dangerous if when Kobe came off those screens and curled out to the three point line....around the elbow, he found an open man either cutting to the basket or wide open in the corner for a little 15 foot jumper. You see, that when Kobe curls around those screens (especially if he's hot), he'll have two men on him when he launches a fade-away three. Thats a perfect opportunity to pass the ball instead. You have 3 men from the other team, guarding 4 of yours. And 2 of the defenders are all the way out on the three point line sticking Kobe (thinking he's going to shoot), without any chance of recovering on D if he hits a cutter. Plus, what will happen is this. At some point....when he hits those open guys and they knock down a couple shots, teams will stop following him out on those threes, and wont double him as much because they cant give up wide open shots to the other guys. And Kobe will have more one on one opportunities. All around it would be better for u guys.

LMAO...You're telling us how Kobe should play his game? I think he's doing just fine, and I trust his basketball judgement over yours...

lol youre right. Cus im sure youve never commented on how the Lakers could improve. Maybe you shouldnt be allowed to have an opinion lol. Im not saying how Kobe should play, yeah, he's doing fine. But his team isnt that great. Im guessing youve been watchin em this year....maybe not, just a guess. But man, other then him...its like watching cows fuck. Its Kobe coming off a screen, shooting a fadeaway three pointer with 2 guys in his face....and 4 other guys standing there watching. they wont win in the playoffs like that, i promise you. And i promise you Phil thinks the same way. Its like Barkley said during halftime of one of the Laker games last week. Its a great offensive players job to set up other players. Thats Kobe's job IMO too. He's a great scorer, whereas his teammates need help. the team is obviously far more effective when everyone is in on the scoring. As great of a scorer as u think he is, id guess that a wide open Odom jumper from the top of the key, or a Mihm layup, is still a more high percentage shot then a Kobe fadeaway three with one or two defenders in his face. Agreed? A great scorer (and this was Charles' argument too) can get their shots when they want to, so its their job to get others involved and in a rhythm. theres absolutely NO rhythm to this teams offense right now. Then, at those times when the team needs someone to takeover...thats when Kobe can do his thing.

Charles Barkely is the biggest Laker/Kobe hater ever, I can't believe you're even bringing him up...Kobe's shot selection, for the most part, has been great. He's usually efficient, especially down the stretch. His field goal percentage is extremely good for someone who shoots as many threes as he does...His fadeaway jumpers with 2 or 3 people in his face are hit and miss. I'd say just about the same as an Odom pull up three from the top of the key...I like Kobe's offense being the primary offense for the Lakers. Sasha's gunna hit those threes in the future on nights when Kobes penetrating only to be trippled in the lane...Bynum is gunna smash on people on dime-pieces from Kobe night in and night out...Smush is gunna penetrate into the lane off a Kobe double team (which leaves the lane open) and dunk on someone like he does. The now is looking good, and the future is looking even better... 8)

TeeRaySix9Teen

« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2006, 02:11:28 AM »

odom missed  2 or 3
brown missed one layup

Charles Barkely is the biggest Laker/Kobe hater ever, I can't believe you're even bringing him up...Kobe's shot selection, for the most part, has been great. He's usually efficient, especially down the stretch. His field goal percentage is extremely good for someone who shoots as many threes as he does...His fadeaway jumpers with 2 or 3 people in his face are hit and miss. I'd say just about the same as an Odom pull up three from the top of the key...I like Kobe's offense being the primary offense for the Lakers. Sasha's gunna hit those threes in the future on nights when Kobes penetrating only to be trippled in the lane...Bynum is gunna smash on people on dime-pieces from Kobe night in and night out...Smush is gunna penetrate into the lane off a Kobe double team (which leaves the lane open) and dunk on someone like he does. The now is looking good, and the future is looking even better... 8)

How is Charles a "laker hater"? lol. How come everytime someone brings up an honest and obvious truth about your team, you guys resort to "laker hater"?. What possible reason would he have to hate the Lakers? I agree with you that Kobe should be the primary offense. But cmon man, it doesnt take much to know that him forcing up threes over 2 defenders, fading away, isnt exactly a good choice as a shot attempt. I mean, compared to him simply dishing it off for a wide open 10-15 foot jumper by someone else....or even a cutter down the lane. How many times did you see Jordan, in this same offense, come off a screen baseline with a defender trailing him...and the screeners man stepping out on him also, only for Jordan to simply dump the ball off to the screening bigman downlow who just rolled to the basket for an easy dunk? Jordan didnt have good bigmen at all....but its an easy play to run.

From ESPN

Is Kobe the MVP this season?

Legler:
He is not the MVP to this point because, as great as he has been individually, the Lakers would have an even better record if Bryant sacrificed some of his scoring to maximize the contributions of Lamar Odom and Smush Parker. Bryant has been the most outstanding player, but Chauncey Billups or Steve Nash has been the MVP.

dont get me wrong, this aint the only opinion on Kobe. Im just saying, Tim Legler's opinion is exactly the opinion i have
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 02:25:13 AM by TeeRaySix9Teen »

acbaylove

« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2006, 06:05:04 AM »
Finally i’ve watched the game. Well, it was been the most incredible performance i’ve ever seen by an NBA player. Period. It’s not only the fact he scored 81 points, it’s how he scored them. He had a pretty good game in the first half, but still the Lakers were struggling and loosing. At home. Once again. Against a supposed-to-be-wack team. So he took the team over his shoulders in the second half, and he started to make the shots his teammates werent making. He scored 27 and 28 points in 2 quarters, litterally winning the game alone and outscoring the Raptors by himself. Impressive performance, and impressive “message” sent to the rest of the League. Way better than the one he sent by elbowing Miller (remember the post-game press conference?). That’s the Kobe i admire, and that’s the player who can get his first MVP throphy.

About the Jordan vs Bryant thing.. Don't get me wrong: i admire Michael Jordan, and i think he's truly a living legend, probably the 2nd best NBA player ever. But i really don't get it when you try to make it looks like if he was unselfish, or perfect. Jordan has led the NBA in field goals attemped for 10 seasons, a record. He has a career average of 22.8 field goals attemps per game against Kobe's 17.8 (it's 25.1 in the Playoff). In the 1987-88 season, he made 2279 shots: only Chamberlain in NBA history has shot more than him in a season. He shot 49 times against Orlando in 1992 (he was almost 30, so pretty mature both phisically and menthally). What i mean is that i understand that you guys remember Jordan for the last 3 season, where he menthally dominated the game, but please don't make it looks like he was a robot, or an UFO. He was a scorer. And i'm sure he dreamed about an 81-points game too. So many times.

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2006, 06:06:00 AM »
I've said it before & I'll say it again...
He's the best I've ever seen (Kobe) & I been thru the entire 80's Laker's
& the championship Bulls teams, During their run's.

Kobe #1

ImO..
Hatesrats 06'

dexter

« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2006, 07:32:29 AM »
I've said it before & I'll say it again...
He's the best I've ever seen (Kobe) & I been thru the entire 80's Laker's
& the championship Bulls teams, During their run's.

Kobe #1

ImO..
Hatesrats 06'

KOBE has 3 THREE Rings     LOL Go LakeShow!  8)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2006, 09:52:46 AM »

odom missed  2 or 3
brown missed one layup

How is Charles a "laker hater"? lol. How come everytime someone brings up an honest and obvious truth about your team, you guys resort to "laker hater"?. What possible reason would he have to hate the Lakers? I agree with you that Kobe should be the primary offense. But cmon man, it doesnt take much to know that him forcing up threes over 2 defenders, fading away, isnt exactly a good choice as a shot attempt. I mean, compared to him simply dishing it off for a wide open 10-15 foot jumper by someone else....or even a cutter down the lane. How many times did you see Jordan, in this same offense, come off a screen baseline with a defender trailing him...and the screeners man stepping out on him also, only for Jordan to simply dump the ball off to the screening bigman downlow who just rolled to the basket for an easy dunk? Jordan didnt have good bigmen at all....but its an easy play to run.

From ESPN

Is Kobe the MVP this season?

Legler:
He is not the MVP to this point because, as great as he has been individually, the Lakers would have an even better record if Bryant sacrificed some of his scoring to maximize the contributions of Lamar Odom and Smush Parker. Bryant has been the most outstanding player, but Chauncey Billups or Steve Nash has been the MVP.

dont get me wrong, this aint the only opinion on Kobe. Im just saying, Tim Legler's opinion is exactly the opinion i have

LMAO@you even questioning the hate Barkely has for the Lakers. It's so fuckin' blatant that the other analysts joke about it with him...Shit, I don't think I've ever heard him predict the Lakers will win...LOLLL. Barkely simply hates the Lakers, and he especially hates Kobe. You can tell by the way he talks about him, not just his game, but he tends to really bash the way Kobe is in general. And ESPN? LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. #1 Laker hating network ever. People on the Lakersground forum call it BSPN. There are analysts out there who do not hate, and there are great sports networks out there with no bias, but you simply choose to quote the haters...LMFAO@Kobe not being MVP. Yea, Chauncey Billups is better and more valuable than Kobe Bryant...L M F A O!

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2006, 09:57:02 AM »
Finally i’ve watched the game. Well, it was been the most incredible performance i’ve ever seen by an NBA player. Period. It’s not only the fact he scored 81 points, it’s how he scored them. He had a pretty good game in the first half, but still the Lakers were struggling and loosing. At home. Once again. Against a supposed-to-be-wack team. So he took the team over his shoulders in the second half, and he started to make the shots his teammates werent making. He scored 27 and 28 points in 2 quarters, litterally winning the game alone and outscoring the Raptors by himself. Impressive performance, and impressive “message” sent to the rest of the League. Way better than the one he sent by elbowing Miller (remember the post-game press conference?). That’s the Kobe i admire, and that’s the player who can get his first MVP throphy.

About the Jordan vs Bryant thing.. Don't get me wrong: i admire Michael Jordan, and i think he's truly a living legend, probably the 2nd best NBA player ever. But i really don't get it when you try to make it looks like if he was unselfish, or perfect. Jordan has led the NBA in field goals attemped for 10 seasons, a record. He has a career average of 22.8 field goals attemps per game against Kobe's 17.8 (it's 25.1 in the Playoff). In the 1987-88 season, he made 2279 shots: only Chamberlain in NBA history has shot more than him in a season. He shot 49 times against Orlando in 1992 (he was almost 30, so pretty mature both phisically and menthally). What i mean is that i understand that you guys remember Jordan for the last 3 season, where he menthally dominated the game, but please don't make it looks like he was a robot, or an UFO. He was a scorer. And i'm sure he dreamed about an 81-points game too. So many times.

So true...

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2006, 10:04:01 AM »
T-Mac's take on it...

"I'm still in awe of what that kid did," said McGrady, whose 62 points against the Wizards in 2004 had been tied with Bryant's 62 against the Mavericks for the most in a game by a current NBA player. "It was just a hell of a performance for him to shoot the ball only 46 times to score 81 points. But not just to be able to shoot it 46 times, but to shoot it 46 times and hit well over 50 percent. There are nights I'm in the 30s of shots taken and I've been fatigued. To take 46 and 20 free throws and end up with 81 points, I didn't believe it.

"We were on the bus and Luther ( Head) yelled out, 'Kobe's got 70-something and there's four minutes left.' I said, 'Luther, stop lying.' I hurried up and got my key and went to my room and called one of my boys to put on the game and Kobe was at the free throw line with 79 points. I said, 'Are you serious?' I don't think I could score that many in a video game."

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2006, 10:05:39 AM »
Phil Jackson...

Lakers coach Phil Jackson, who coached the Jordan-led Chicago Bulls to six championships in the 1990s, said Bryant's single-game performance surpassed anything Jordan ever did on a given night.

"That was something to behold — it was another level," Jackson said. "At halftime we were disturbed about the way we were playing. We came out and Kobe just found a way to do everything.

"It's not exactly the way you want to have a team win a game, but when you have to win a game, it's great to have that weapon to be able to do that."

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2006, 10:06:54 AM »

So true...
i can bet that if shaq wasnt there for his whole career besides these past two seasons that kobes FG attempts would be WAY HIGHER!... there just isnt a comparison they are both there own players.... and so far jordan is the better player kobe still in the league so everyone has to wait til its all said and done.... and kobe needs to earn those championships as the leader of the team before you can start comparing...... get some league MVP's and Finals MVP's and a few more things before it can even be considered... two different players even tho they got similar playing styles

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2006, 10:09:07 AM »
What would the media do if LeBron scored 81?

...I doubt he would get these mixed reviews. Here is what I think would happen if James had scored 81 points instead of Bryant.

- NBA regualr season officially shortened from 82 games to 81

- ESPN changes name to LBJN

- All NBA teams forced to hang a #23 James jersey in their rafters....even the Bulls

- Tim Legler in front of a national TV audience on NBA Fastbreak takes out his LeBron James blowup doll and makes love to it.

- LeBron changes the tatoo on his back to The Chosen Eighty-One

- David Stern starts referring to himself in the 3rd person as "King David"

- ESPN starts a whole new channell, the ocho uno, in which cameras follow around LeBron 24 hours a day

taken form Lakersground.net

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2006, 10:12:40 AM »

So true...
i can bet that if shaq wasnt there for his whole career besides these past two seasons that kobes FG attempts would be WAY HIGHER!... there just isnt a comparison they are both there own players.... and so far jordan is the better player kobe still in the league so everyone has to wait til its all said and done.... and kobe needs to earn those championships as the leader of the team before you can start comparing...... get some league MVP's and Finals MVP's and a few more things before it can even be considered... two different players even tho they got similar playing styles

I bet I bet I bet...You were the one who made that dumbass comment that Kobe wasn't up there on Larry Bird's level. You're too much of a Laker fan to be a Jordan dick-rider, and I wouldn't wanna say it the other way around. Bottom line is, Kobe is the closest thing we've seen to Jordan, and if he doesn't surpass Jordan by the time it's all said and done, I'd honestly be surprised...It seems to me like you don't want him surpassing Jordan or something, or as if you think it'd be blasphemy to mention them in the same sentence...As a Laker fan, you should hope that Kobe can one day exceed Jordan's level of play, and let me tell you something, he's not that far away...

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2006, 10:22:13 AM »
Kobe in the same breath as Michael? Maybe it's time

By John Celestand
Jan. 17, 2005

OK, this is not really an article. Let’s just think of this as a
couple of fans talking -- just being simply amazed at what
occurred the other night. I woke up groggy-eyed from my
sleep, only to turn on SportsCenter like I do every morning. 
I was expecting simply to check out a couple of highlights
about the NFL playoffs, yet I heard the unthinkable. 

“Tracy McGrady scored 43 points last night, (but ) big deal,"
said ESPN's Stuart Scott. "It was about half of what Kobe
scored.”

What?! It couldn’t be. I must have heard wrong. That would
mean Kobe Bryant scored about 80 points! So I called my
friend and former high school teammate Delvon McMillan,
awaking him from his sleep. 

“Del, I know I didn’t just hear this. I know I ...“
He interjected. “Kobe Bryant had 81 points!” he insisted. 
“And he shot better than 50 percent from the field.”
His statement stopped me in my tracks. It had to sink in for
a second. Some things have a delayed reaction. You just

don’t compute them as quickly as others. The same thing happened to me in 2000 when Vince Carter put his elbow in the rim in the dunk contest. I remember watching it with a bunch of my friends. I remember after the dunk, the room being quiet.  Nobody understood what happened for about three or four seconds. Then it sunk in.  His elbow was in the rim. That’s how high he was. Kobe scored 81.That’s how good he is.

I was somewhat ashamed for thinking what I was thinking. I almost didn’t say it.  No real basketball person could ever say this, would dare say this. I thought about how my friend Delvon would view me after the ludicrous statement I was about to make. I mean, he played college basketball, too -- so it wasn’t as if I was talking to some slouch off the street. 

But I conjured up the nerve and I did it.
”Do you think he is a better scorer than Jordan?” I asked
I had done it. I asked the stupidest question of all time. Oh my goodness, he would think I was an idiot. As soon as I asked it, I wanted to take it back. All of my basketball validity was now lost. 

“I would have to say yes,” Delvon responded. “Kobe’s got the ultimate skills.”
He had done it. He said it. Now there were two men who would be hauled off to the funny farm if anybody found out about this. We would have to keep this a secret.  Nobody could know what we had confided in each other. Maybe Jordan was no longer the greatest scorer ever. 

I tried to make it sound better.
“Maybe Jordan is the best clutch scorer ever; Kobe is the best overall scorer,” 
I reasoned.
“Kobe is clutch too," Delvon said. "He’s hit big shots in big-time games in the playoffs, regular season, and the Finals.

“He scored 81 -- do you get it?”
I tried to reevaluate what were saying. I hope that Mike never found out about this.  We were betraying him. But this was the present. Kobe was the present, and the present is always so much clearer.
Of course, Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points. The difference, is that Wilt was so much more physically gifted than his opponents. He was so huge, so strong, so much more athletic than the helpless defenders that tried to guard him. Even Bill Russell, the greatest defensive center of all time, looked like a child compared to Chamberlain. 
Kobe is a guard, many of his shots coming from 15 feet and out. The players guarding Kobe are his same size and strength. Some of the players may be even stronger and more athletic. It doesn’t matter. They can’t stop him. He scored 81 points.

“I know it’s hard to fathom that maybe Kobe is going to be better than Mike," Delvon said. “But he had 81 points. I turned on the TV on a day after the NFC and AFC championship games and Kobe’s the lead story. That’s unreal.”

Why I am I so surprised? I witnessed his greatness firsthand. I remember in practice always wanting to take on the challenge of guarding him. I was a competitor.  I wanted to get better. Even if he torched me, it was for my own good. 

But there were many days when I would leave doubting myself -- because I just couldn’t stop him. No one had ever left me so bewildered. There was nothing I could do. If I beat Kobe to the spot, he shot over me. If I got too close, he drove past me. If I backed off too far, he shot the jumper.  If none of that worked for him, he posted me up.

Nobody could stop him and I was no different. I should have saved those days of anguish and just realized that I wasn’t that bad -- that he was just that good. 

I think Delvon summed it up best.

“There’s nothing you can do," he said. "There’s nothing anybody can do. He’s the Man. He only stops scoring when he feels like it.”

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2006, 10:29:46 AM »
Quotes from around the league...

"I'm not in that kind of shape to score that much. When I had 56 (in high school), my shoulder was so tired I had to ice that thing down. That takes so much energy to score those kinds of points because, think about it, you're not making every single shot. There are lots of trips you miss shots and still got to play D. No way I could do that."
-- Detroit's Chauncey Billups

"It's beyond words. For a two-guard to do that in this era when defenses can be geared around one player, it's out of this world. . . . I don't feel so bad about the 45 he got on us now."
-- Pacers coach Rick Carlisle

"I don't think I could score that many in a video game."
-- Houston's Tracy McGrady

"(Shaquille O'Neal) told us to get him 50 shots (in the next game)."
-- Miami's Antoine Walker

"He's just one of those guys I have a lot of respect for. He's strong-willed and he believes in himself to the core."
-- Minnesota's Wally Szczerbiak

"Can anyone get 100? If you can get 81, absolutely. He just needs to take 10 more shots."
-- Miami coach Pat Riley

"The No. 1 thing he said after the game which impressed me was not that he scored 81 but that's what he thought he needed to do in order for his team to get the win."
-- Detroit coach Flip Saunders