Author Topic: Jay-Z Sets To Bring Dr. Dre, DJ Premier, Just Blaze & More For Nas' Next LP  (Read 1655 times)

K A I N

Nas is a sucker.

jeromechickenbone

Just Blaze, Kanye West, Timbaland, Dr.Dre and DJ Premier.

or

Salaam Remi, Chucky Thompson and L.E.S..

Uhh, hard choice. ::)
Jay knows how to pick dope beats, something that seems to be a problem for Nas, he's pretty much hit or miss, 50/50.

I'm not really looking for a Dre beat. They don't mesh too well. And i also don't think Nas would come off well with Timbaland either. People are forgetting that Jay also mentioned Pharrell earlier, which is another collab that i don't want to see on a Nas album. Just and Kanye suit his style well, and Premo goes without saying.

Why do people think Nas wouldn't sound good with Dre? Nas has only rapped on 3 Dre Beats and 2 of them were dope as hell[Phone Tap & Firm Fiasco] As far as people like Timbaland and Pharrell, Jay just wants Nas' record to sell. His last couple of records didn't sell shit.

Do you remember "Nas is Coming"?  Thats one of the only tracks i skip IWW.  The chorus was corny as hell, and the beat was pretty boring.  I can't think of too many other instances that i purposely skip Dre beats, but i just don't like their chemistry.

Don Breezio

But I dunno about Dre...that was one of the most ill-advised partnerships I can recall, and pretty much nothing hot came out of their collaboration (except MAYBE "Phone Tap" on The Firm's album).  Not to mention the fact that Dre is doing so much shit right now that there's pretty much no chance the album will be able to get some Dre beats and make the Fall release date at the same time.

What are you talkin about? nas sounds great over dre beats....Nas Is Coming is one of my favorite nas tracks of all time...phone tap was dope...I would love to hear dre do another beat or two for nas...and i dont doubt that the beats will be done soon....dre is doing a lot but hes doing stuff for everyone else instead of his own shit lol...I think the dre/nas collabo will happen and it will be sick

Eihtball

What are you talkin about? nas sounds great over dre beats....Nas Is Coming is one of my favorite nas tracks of all time...phone tap was dope...I would love to hear dre do another beat or two for nas...and i dont doubt that the beats will be done soon....dre is doing a lot but hes doing stuff for everyone else instead of his own shit lol...I think the dre/nas collabo will happen and it will be sick

I don't see how you can say that, because "Nas Is Coming" was one of the worst tracks on "It Was Written", IMHO.  "Phone Tap" is a good beat, but Nas still sounded out of place on it.  About the only Nas/Dre collabo I thought turned out decently was "East Coast-West Coast Killas" from "The Aftermath" compilation.  Nas has taken several stabs at G-Funk throughout his career (most recently "Smokin" from "Stillmatic"), and it just sounds wrong to me - Nas' vocal tone and wordplay sound much better over jazzy rather than funky production.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Nas is selling fine, every album except The Lost Tapes has gone platnium.  He can excutive produce his own albums, they will be critically praised (for the most part) and they will sell.  At this point in his career he doesn't need someone else telling him how to make his own albums.

jpm

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Gotta wait and see for the final project before really minding yourself on something precise
www.ReallyHipHop.com for all the latest hip-hop media available!

Jome

I'm not really looking for a Dre beat.  They don't mesh too well.  And i also don't think Nas would come off well with Timbaland either.  People are forgetting that Jay also mentioned Pharrell earlier, which is another collab that i don't want to see on a Nas album.  Just and Kanye suit his style well, and Premo goes without saying.
Do you remember "Nas is Coming"?  Thats one of the only tracks i skip IWW.  The chorus was corny as hell, and the beat was pretty boring.  I can't think of too many other instances that i purposely skip Dre beats, but i just don't like their chemistry.

It's not comparable, it's nearly a decade ago, they both came a long way, they have different styles now than they had back then, and the ones they did together was pretty dope, even though it didn't seem like they both gave their 100% to the project.

Thinking that Premier would do a whole Nas album alone is a little gullible, that won't happen unless your name is "Guru".
Kanye fits Nas fine, and so should Just Blaze, as long as he brings his serious beats, and not the wannabe Timbaland club tracks.

Timbo aint good as before though, and im sure Pharell will messed up the Vibe of the Album

You crazy, Timbaland only brings out the real heaters for the big artists and labelmates, Jay-Z always get good beats from Timmy.
Neptunes could mess it up though, they fucked up the flow on Jay-Z albums before.  >:(

Nas is selling fine, every album except The Lost Tapes has gone platnium.  He can excutive produce his own albums, they will be critically praised (for the most part) and they will sell.  At this point in his career he doesn't need someone else telling him how to make his own albums.

God Son & Street Disc. wouldn't have gone platinum if they weren't double albums though..

herpes

I'm not really looking for a Dre beat.  They don't mesh too well.  And i also don't think Nas would come off well with Timbaland either.  People are forgetting that Jay also mentioned Pharrell earlier, which is another collab that i don't want to see on a Nas album.  Just and Kanye suit his style well, and Premo goes without saying.

It's not comparable, it's nearly a decade ago, they both came a long way, they have different styles now than they had back then, and the ones they did together was pretty dope, even though it didn't seem like they both gave their 100% to the project.

Thinking that Premier would do a whole Nas album alone is a little gullible, that won't happen unless your name is "Guru".
Kanye fits Nas fine, and so should Just Blaze, as long as he brings his serious beats, and not the wannabe Timbaland club tracks.

Timbo aint good as before though, and im sure Pharell will messed up the Vibe of the Album

You crazy, Timbaland only brings out the real heaters for the big artists and labelmates, Jay-Z always get good beats from Timmy.
Neptunes could mess it up though, they fucked up the flow on Jay-Z albums before.  >:(

God Son & Street Disc. wouldn't have gone platinum if they weren't double albums though..

gods son wasnt a double disc.  Having a bonus disc with 3 songs on it doesnt make it a double LP.  But i could of sworn even as a double LP streets disc. didnt go plat

Jome

gods son wasnt a double disc.  Having a bonus disc with 3 songs on it doesnt make it a double LP.  But i could of sworn even as a double LP streets disc. didnt go plat

I think RIAA counts is as 2CD though, cuz that's what it is, wether it's 3 or 12 tracks.
Streets Disciple was certified platinum almost exactly 1 year after its release, certified late november 05.

jeromechickenbone

It's not comparable?  Its Dre and Nas doing an actual collabo together - what the fuck are we supposed to base it on? Their potential?  Yeah, they have potential, but look at their EXISTING track record.  I can name 20 Classic Nas tracks, none of which have Dr. Dre productions behind them.  It wasn't like the collab was unlistenable, but I'd take Nas over production from L.E.S., Salaam Remi, Premier, Large Pro...i could keep going. 

Would you not say that Nas and Pete Rock was a dope combination?  By your standards you can't make the connection because they worked together over 10 years ago. 

As far as Primo and Nas - you can throw out that we are gullible, but both Nas & Primo said it was happening.  Of course take everything with a grain of salt when it comes to these guys, but i never once heard from Nas that Jay was Exec Producer of his album either.  It's not unrealistic at all that Preme was going to do the majority of the tracks.  He recently dropped what, nine beats on Big Shug's album? 

Jome

It's not comparable?  Its Dre and Nas doing an actual collabo together - what the fuck are we supposed to base it on? Their potential?  Yeah, they have potential, but look at their EXISTING track record.  I can name 20 Classic Nas tracks, none of which have Dr. Dre productions behind them.  It wasn't like the collab was unlistenable, but I'd take Nas over production from L.E.S., Salaam Remi, Premier, Large Pro...i could keep going. 

Would you not say that Nas and Pete Rock was a dope combination?  By your standards you can't make the connection because they worked together over 10 years ago. 

As far as Primo and Nas - you can throw out that we are gullible, but both Nas & Primo said it was happening.  Of course take everything with a grain of salt when it comes to these guys, but i never once heard from Nas that Jay was Exec Producer of his album either.  It's not unrealistic at all that Preme was going to do the majority of the tracks.  He recently dropped what, nine beats on Big Shug's album? 

Like I said, it's not comparable because Dre totally changed his style up, and you can't go wrong with the #1 producer in rap with a top 5 rapper.
Nas seemed to be heading into a deadend street, going from the strong Stillmatic, to the decent God Son, and then with the lackluster SD, I say get rid of Salaam Remi, LES & the Chucky fella!

Having Premier do a whole Nas album, if unlikely, means that the album would end up sounding like too much of the same, like the latest GangStarr album, it's good to add some variety in there, even though I hope he skips the Neptunes idea, and Timbaland/Nas is also a combination that have yet to convince me..

Eihtball

I think RIAA counts is as 2CD though, cuz that's what it is, wether it's 3 or 12 tracks.
Streets Disciple was certified platinum almost exactly 1 year after its release, certified late november 05.

I'm actually not 100% positive.  "All Eyez On Me", "Life After Death", and most recently "Speakerboxx/The Love Below" all got certified Diamond, even though all of those albums only sold 5 million copies apiece.  But then again, Eminem's"Encore" has been certified 4x Platinum, yet according to Soundscan, it did actually sell close to 4 million copies - and it had a bonus disc with a few extra tracks.

"Street's Disciple" was a slight commercial dissapointment, I remember hearing that.  I believe I heard mention in an article that it sound about 650,000 copies.

Like I said, it's not comparable because Dre totally changed his style up, and you can't go wrong with the #1 producer in rap with a top 5 rapper.
Nas seemed to be heading into a deadend street, going from the strong Stillmatic, to the decent God Son, and then with the lackluster SD, I say get rid of Salaam Remi, LES & the Chucky fella!

L.E.S. did produce "Life's A Bitch", which is one of my personal favorite Nas songs ever, but I'll admit that none of those cats seemed capalbe of creating anything I could call "dope" on "Street's Disciple".  It was nice of Nas to bring some close friends on board, but I would have preferred some A-listers myself.

As far as Dre goes, I won't knock it until I hear it.  Even so, it's still very hard for me to picture Dre and Nas having any real chemistry; I can't imagine Nas sounding good over the "Westside Story" beat, for example.  Generally speaking, Dre has produced tracks for party-oriented rappers since "The Chronic" days, and I just think Nas is a bit too hardcore for anything Dre does.  Same for Timbo, and the Neptunes...even harder for me to imagine.

Having Premier do a whole Nas album, if unlikely, means that the album would end up sounding like too much of the same, like the latest GangStarr album, it's good to add some variety in there, even though I hope he skips the Neptunes idea, and Timbaland/Nas is also a combination that have yet to convince me.

Well, there's a flipside...if the producer is very capable and knows how to keep the music diverse and interesting, it results in 100% consistency from start to finish, and that's how "Doggystyle" and Eminem's first albums turned out so perfectly.  Generally speaking, I prefer variety, but hey, the "dynamic duo" shit has been a tradition of hip-hop culture for years now, and personally, I can see a Nas/Primo collab working, provided Primo gives Nas the same kind of devotion he usually shows Guru on most GangStarr records ("Ownerz" was dissappointing, I'll give you that, but GangStarr otherwise has an almost perfect track record).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 04:42:37 PM by Eihtball »

$do11a biLL$

Timbaland better give Nas a "Put You On The Game" type track. Not some oogie boogie boogie type shit. Nas ain't like that.

Okka

Just Blaze, Kanye West, Timbaland, Dr.Dre and DJ Premier.

or

Salaam Remi, Chucky Thompson and L.E.S..

Uhh, hard choice. ::)
Jay knows how to pick dope beats, something that seems to be a problem for Nas, he's pretty much hit or miss, 50/50.

I'm not really looking for a Dre beat.  They don't mesh too well.  And i also don't think Nas would come off well with Timbaland either.

Nas sounded dope over "Nas Is Coming", "Phone Tap" and "East Coast/West Coast Killa", and they were all Dre beats and Nas sounded good over Timbo beats too ("You Won't See Me Tonight" and "You Owe Me"), but orcoursse i would love to hear a new Nas album with only Premo beats on it though...

herpes

im like 99% positive gods son isnt considered a double disc.  I dont even think all the copies of gods son have the bonus disk.