Author Topic: Cash Money & No Limit's success?  (Read 1044 times)

UWA 187

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
Cash Money & No Limit's success?
« on: January 31, 2006, 08:59:47 AM »
I've seen a few people drop info about the big success Cash Money & No Limit had during their peak years and was just wondering if anyone could go into more detail about it?

BigBDrugStores

Re: Cash Money & No Limit's success?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 09:55:47 AM »
what do you need to know about cash money?

Knoshen

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • bitches=WE$T COA$T- J Bananas-El trauma =Bitch
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 01:40:33 PM »
How could anyone take themselves seriously and actually drive around pumping big tymers

there is more substance on a piece of snake shit then on a big tymers record

J2K

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 09:29:41 PM »
How could anyone take themselves seriously and actually drive around pumping big tymers

Lol , some of their songs are dope...

E.g i thought that "This How We Do It" had a dope beat , even though some of the shit they rap about doesnt make sense..

CoreG37

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 09:32:20 PM »

Lol , some of their songs are dope...

E.g i thought that "This How We Do It" had a dope beat , even though some of the shit they rap about doesnt make sense..

it made sense to the millions of people that bought that shit...

Citizen-Y

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 04:50:07 AM »
I remember back in 98 I was a big No Limit head and I went to the store to look at some albums.  I picked up this one thinking, damn a new No Limit cd.  Had that style of cd case, fake bling and shit and even looked identical on the back to No Limit shit.  It was a Cash Money cd.  I was thinking, who the fuck and why are they copying P's shit?

Don Breezio

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 03:18:34 PM »
no limit and cmr got their success because of the way they presented themselves...dope beats, lots of cash...and tons of women....while no limit may not've been the first to come out with that style...they are the first ones that really commercialized it...cash money did the same thing pretty much...except they werent original about it...they basically were another no limit...

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 03:36:59 PM »

The music is about having fun.  Yeah its about money, bitches, and drugs, but so is a lot of other music.  I think their whole style is awesome, all they do is talk about living the high life.  What's wrong with that?  I don't need to listen to depressing shit all the time.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 07:24:49 PM »
Well I was in LA during that entire time, and I wasn't really usin the internet to check for music until 2000-2001, so I only know what I saw on TV.

Master P was doin it big on the independent scene back in 94, and the first major release he came out with was Ghetto D, which dropped in 1997. It was #1 on the main Billboard charts. The CD with "Mr. Ice Cream Man" might have dropped in 96, and I think the video was on BET, but I don't remember it bein that big. He was able to get his independent label a deal with majors because of the success he had in the underground, and he established that game in Richmond CA from what I remember hearin. Ghetto D's biggest single was "Make em say uhh" which got A LOT of TV play on MTV and BET. In 98, he dropped "Da Last Don" and that sold a lot too. Silkk the shocker, Mystikal, C-Murder, Mia X, and a few others had pretty good sales in 97-98, but they definitely burned themselves out. In 98, P had EVERYBODY sayin "Uhhhhhh" just like 50 has had everybody sayin "G-g-g-g-g-Unit" the last two years, and how the Westside Connection (not 2Pac) had everybody throwin up dubs and yellin WESTSIIIIDE back in 96. Their prime in the mainstream was 97-98, and they started to decline afterwards even though they had some success in 99.

I remember in 98 when we first heard Snoop got signed to No Limit....many of y'all might not believe it, but everybody who was my age in LA, which was 13 and in 8th grade, was happy as hell to hear it, and we didn't have the mentality that people on the west and on the internet have now. If the same thing happened today, most people on these boards would be like "fuck no, Snoop sold out, No Limit is trash, Snoop is gonna fall off hard!!!" but nah we were happy. Still a G Thang got major play, and that CD sold good, even though some songs on there were HORRIBLE when we listen to them now. However, this kept No Limit alive, and Snoop came back with a much better, more west-coast based album in 99. However, the end of 98 is when Cash Money hit the mainstream scene. The first song that was major that came from them was Juvenile's "Ha". I don't know how the country felt it, but I thought that song was garbage when it came out, and I saw their CD covers and said damn who the hell is this tryin to imitate No Limit? I wasn't really a die-hard No Limit fan, but in 99, I bought A LOT of their CDs....I probably owned anywhere from 8-12 CDs, and that's a lot for a 9th grader to have just from one company.

"Ha" was the first major song, but I think they took off when "Back that azz up" dropped. I first heard it on Juve's CD around summer 99, but it didn't really start gettin major play nationwide till Fall 99. The other big songs they had that year were "Bling Bling" "Follow me now" and "Cash money is an army". It seemed as if they capitalized off of No Limit's success, and their silent but obvious beef helped to fuel record sales. They threw a LOT of subliminal disses to each other between 98 and 2001, and some were obvious, but they rarely said each other's names. Somehow, Cash Money started to run things around late 99, and No Limit started to fall off in the mainstream. The Hot Boyz album dropped, BG dropped, Lil Wayne dropped, Big Tymers dropped, and they all had singles to go along with the albums that all did pretty good. One of the obvious disses was on the Hot Boyz album. Master P had a song on "Da last don" called "Thug girl", and on Cash Money's "I need a hot girl", they said "fuck a thug girl, that raggedy hoe can suck my dick". I am 100% sure that people who were in New Orleans knew a lot of things that went on behind the scenes that fueled their beef. Also, the fact that they were by far the two biggest and most successful camps coming out of New Orleans, which had never been a big scene for rap, and they NEVER collaborated during the time when they were both hot, made it obvious that they weren't gettin along.

When No Limit started fallin off, Master P started to even imitate CMR's style of production, especially when KLC and da pound (now known as the Medicine Men) left, and those are the ones who had created that No Limit sound that made them so hot. You can hear many No Limit songs that dropped from 99-2002 that sounded IDENTICAL to Manny Fresh production, especially the drum patterns. Listen to "Rock the boat" and you'll hear what I mean. I can't pinpoint the reasons No Limit fell off, but most of the albums that were comin out were soundin very formulaic and were just bland. Lil Romeo sold a whole lot with his single "My baby" in 2001, which somehow was the #1 single of the year on the Billboard charts. But it was obvious that P must have bought all the singles, or either the younger crowd loved it. The last successful No Limit CD that dropped was Snoop's "Da last meal" in 2000.

Somehow, Cash Money survived, and turned out to have a longer run than No Limit, and they are still a very successful company. It might seem like most people hate No Limit and like most Cash Money music right now, but 7 years ago, things were a lot different. We just saw CMR as a rip-off No Limit, even though I've heard people in New Orleans say that No Limit was bitin their style from the start.

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 08:06:06 PM »
I've always liked Cash Money, and I've never liked No Limit.  The difference is I think Cash Money's production is of a way higher quality.  But ayways, yeah I remember when "Ha" came out when I was in like 6th grade, and then "Back That Azz Up" was the most popular shit at my middle school, in white suburbia.  EVERYONE, including the girls, had a copy of "400 Degreez."  And then "Bling Bling" blew up as well.  Its kinda funny looking back on it now, cuz everyone at my school was on Cash Money's tip.  I think I developed a lot of my taste of rap music around Mannie Fresh's style.  "Get Ya Roll On," "Number One Stunna," & "U Understand" were also huge hits at the time.  And keep in mind this is in a white suburban middle school, so all of this shit was only popular because it was on MTV.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 08:24:58 PM »
R-Tistic was on point.  I can vouch, as i bumped both of their shit in the late 90's.  No Limit fell of for ONE REASON - Their in house producers, Beats By The Pound, demanded more $$$, and P wouldn't pay them.  So they bailed.  BBTP were talented dudes and were a huge driving force behind the sound of No Limit.  P owns the name "Beats By The Pound" which is why they are now known as "The Medicine Men".  They were definintely talented producers.  Like he said, it may sound like a joke to you younger cats, but No Limit was the shit back in the day.  I remember when Make em Say Ugh came out, that is all you heard.

Cash Money was very similar, again largely in part of very good production from Mannie Fresh.  Cash Money was more on the flashy side, obviously invented the phrase "bling bling".  Now of course, Mannie Fresh has left Cash Money, so its my bold prediction that they will fade away.

$do11a biLL$

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 08:39:20 PM »
I've always chose No Limit over Cash Money. I bought like every No Limit cd i could find at the cd store one time when i was like 13 and from then on ive been getting every new one until everyone bailed out on Master P and he did that wack "Gameface" shit but "Good Side Bad Side" was a good comeback album for P. C-Murder was my favorite artist on the label because he talked about the realest shit in his songs and his style is one of a kind too. Magic, Mac, Mystikal, Fiend, Big Ed, Krazy, and Snoop Dogg of course were also great on No Limit.

The only artists on Cash Money i would listen to for years were Juvenile and Big Tymers. I never could figure out what was so good about B.G. until a couple of years ago when i listened to some old albums of his. They weren't great but on an average rate of his albums it would be like 3/5 IMO and im glad i never copped Lil Waynes first 2 albums.

Now both labels seem pretty wack. Master Ps last album was lame, the Tru album sucked, Silkks album was a disgrace, Lil Romeo is just Lil Romeo, C-Murders album was pretty good but it wasnt released on No Limit. Master P recruited rappers with simple ass names like Black, Tank, Pop etc. which all havent really impressed me.

The only reason Cash Money still is alive and well is Lil Wayne. Ever since he came out with Tha Carter hes been on fire on both Carters and just about all of his mixtapes. Hes among the best rappers there is now IMO. Baby has never impressed me at all. Mannie Fresh basically was the Big Tymers. Turks gone, BGs gone, Juves gone, Mannies gone, TQs gone they definetly arent the same as what they used to be at all either. Hopefully their new talent in Curren$y and Boo & Gotti help them out alot.

WestCoasta

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 08:42:06 PM »
the best shit about Cash Money's music is the Mannie Fresh production and Juvenile and sometimes B.G. is okay... and Lil' Wayne sometimes

AZ§o§a

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 11:09:58 PM »
Juve, and lil wayne.. are the only two that can rap.. and really the only two that have been sellin albums
juve - juve the great.. and he has another one on the way....
peep
juvenile - booty language
           - whats happenin
and both weezies albums are sick
carter 1 and 2

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2006, 09:05:07 AM »
R-Tistic was on point.  I can vouch, as i bumped both of their shit in the late 90's.  No Limit fell of for ONE REASON - Their in house producers, Beats By The Pound, demanded more $$$, and P wouldn't pay them.  So they bailed.  BBTP were talented dudes and were a huge driving force behind the sound of No Limit.  P owns the name "Beats By The Pound" which is why they are now known as "The Medicine Men".  They were definintely talented producers.  Like he said, it may sound like a joke to you younger cats, but No Limit was the shit back in the day.  I remember when Make em Say Ugh came out, that is all you heard.

Cash Money was very similar, again largely in part of very good production from Mannie Fresh.  Cash Money was more on the flashy side, obviously invented the phrase "bling bling".  Now of course, Mannie Fresh has left Cash Money, so its my bold prediction that they will fade away.

Damn, I didn't know that P owned the name, but that happens a LOT just like with Prince having to change his name, so it makes a lotta sense. I donno why he couldn't find anybody else to drop dope beats like they did, and why he didn't just decide to pay them more. They went off to make major hits like "Move bitch" after leavin him. KLC was one of my favorite producers...everytime I bought a No Limit CD, I would open to see what songs he did on there and would always anticipate when it would come on.

Yeah, Mannie Fresh definitely helped to make Cash Money, and when I first heard Carter II, I felt like CMR was in trouble for lettin him go. But Lil Wayne is hot as hell down south..he's probably on 75% of the people out here's Top 3 list for southern rappers, and probably top 5 or 10 for all rappers. So he will be the only one that's really gonna keep them alive in my opinion. He's also connected in the game, and is always workin with other artists who are hot, so that will keep his name around for a while. I also realized that he is just 23 years old, and that's young as hell for somebody who has been out for 7 years and is just now reachin his prime. I'm not a great fan of his like that, I think he's coo but a bit overrated, but that's how I see it for him.