Author Topic: Rap phenomenon III is......  (Read 999 times)

AZ§o§a

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: Rap phenomenon III is......
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 08:37:28 AM »
i wont buy the album but i got love for jay

Elevz

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 08:47:18 AM »
Uh. Jay is still alive, and as a matter of fact he's still got a major role in today's rap game. Why do they make him out to be a "Rap Phenomenon" by putting him next to Pac and Big? That doesn't make sense to me.

I would have expected volume 3 to be Big Pun, KRS-One or Rakim... Jay ain't no phenomenon. He's really good, but not that much of a phenomenon iMO.

kingwell

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 11:34:44 AM »
jays dope man lol why cant certain people except it.  Dudes got 2 and a half classic albums

Reasonable Doubt
The Blueprint
The Black Album (was very dope but not quite classic in my opinion, very close tho)

*awaits "your a dickryder" comment*

omg you are such a dick ryder..  bitch please!

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2006, 11:37:42 AM »
jays dope man lol why cant certain people except it.  Dudes got 2 and a half classic albums

Reasonable Doubt
The Blueprint
The Black Album (was very dope but not quite classic in my opinion, very close tho)

*awaits "your a dickryder" comment*

i 2nd that

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Don Breezio

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 02:28:30 PM »
The Dummest fucking idea ive ever heard of.  Jay-Z a phenomenon?......come on. You might as well make one for the DIP SHIT crew.  This man has no classic albums and only was the talk of rap because all he did was hype up his "retirement." 

Drop your thought

PEACE

i think youre a dumbass who hasnt heard reasonable doubt or in my lifetime, and are basing your assumptions off the big pimpin video

I’ve heard his WHOLE catalog and yet you seem to know me so well when in fact the only reason people hyped blueprint was because he had "the takeover" and reasonable doubt was alright album but def not a classic.  Reasonable doubt was not even called a "classic" till 2001 when Jay was in his beef with Nas and he started calling it a classic HIMSELF.  Just like how he was begging on the BLACK ALBUM to be called a greatest of all time contender. 

SUCK MY DICK bitch

You don’t know me

PEACE

what are you talking about? people were talking about reasonable doubt long before 2001. i remember buying it in 97 and calling it a classic then! jay has a great catalogue

reasonable doubt - classic
in my lifetime - classic
hard knock life - commercial classic
life and times - yeah ok this one was shit
the dynasty - near classic
the blueprint - near classic
blueprint 2 - yeah again this one was shit
black album - near classic

someone said that these phenomenon things are supposed to be about talent and catalogue...well jay damn sure has the talent and hes got an impressive catalogue...not only those albums but he's got the 2 best of both worlds albums, and tons of tracks on soundtracks and guest spots...the dude has been around since big & pac....i mean...someone mentioned big pun...for what? cuz he died...the dude is definitely not a phenomenon...dont get me wrong pun was dope but he only had 2 full length studio albums, 1 album of remixes, and a terror squad album...and the only good ones were the 2 studio albums...

personally i think jay is a good choice for phenomenon 3...and i hope number 4 is nas

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2006, 03:13:05 PM »
personally i think jay is a good choice for phenomenon 3...and i hope number 4 is nas
NO MORE WAR

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2006, 03:24:01 PM »
The Dummest fucking idea ive ever heard of.  Jay-Z a phenomenon?......come on. You might as well make one for the DIP SHIT crew.  This man has no classic albums and only was the talk of rap because all he did was hype up his "retirement." 

Drop your thought

PEACE

i think youre a dumbass who hasnt heard reasonable doubt or in my lifetime, and are basing your assumptions off the big pimpin video

I’ve heard his WHOLE catalog and yet you seem to know me so well when in fact the only reason people hyped blueprint was because he had "the takeover" and reasonable doubt was alright album but def not a classic.  Reasonable doubt was not even called a "classic" till 2001 when Jay was in his beef with Nas and he started calling it a classic HIMSELF.  Just like how he was begging on the BLACK ALBUM to be called a greatest of all time contender. 

SUCK MY DICK bitch

You don’t know me

PEACE

what are you talking about? people were talking about reasonable doubt long before 2001. i remember buying it in 97 and calling it a classic then! jay has a great catalogue

in my lifetime - classic

someone said that these phenomenon things are supposed to be about talent and catalogue...well jay damn sure has the talent and hes got an impressive catalogue...not only those albums but he's got the 2 best of both worlds albums, and tons of tracks on soundtracks and guest spots...the dude has been around since big & pac....i mean...someone mentioned big pun...for what? cuz he died...the dude is definitely not a phenomenon...dont get me wrong pun was dope but he only had 2 full length studio albums, 1 album of remixes, and a terror squad album...and the only good ones were the 2 studio albums...

What the fuck are you talkin about? O.K. you are a jayz fan and everyone has different tastes, but THREE FUCKIN CLASSICS? THREE NEAR FUCKIN CLASSICS? ::) Son hold your breath. You are seriously abusing the word classic. So according to you Blueprint and The Black album are up their with The Chronic, Doggystyle, Death Certificate, Illmatic, Ready To Die, and Me Against The World? No such thing as near classic...you are reaching wit that one. Jayz is the most overrated rapper in hip hop history. Ppl say sales don't matter, guess what congratulations to jayz because he broke that rule.

You said you bought Reasonable Doubt in 1997 and called it a classic...that doesn't matter...look at what were the general consensus views. Back in 1996 when Reasonable Doubt came out...ppl thought it was a great album, but not classic. Ppl didn't start calling it a classic until Jayz did in 2001. Also if it wasn't for pac/big's death, Jayz would have been a nobody.

I am willingly to bet major money if it wasn't for Jayz's sales...ppl wouldn't be talkin about Jayz albums like that. Also Jayz was good lyrically, but not that good. At MOST I will give you Reasonable Doubt as a classic.
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

Don Breezio

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2006, 03:26:31 PM »
of course nobody called it a classic in 96! just like nobody called the chronic a classic in 92! or doggystyle a classic in 93! it takes time!

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2006, 05:20:37 PM »
of course nobody called it a classic in 96! just like nobody called the chronic a classic in 92! or doggystyle a classic in 93! it takes time!

i agree with that and i am also a jay-z fan.

but i wouldn't call the black album a classic.
NO MORE WAR

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2006, 09:16:08 PM »

Disagree. After two years of the release of chronic, doggystyle and other classic albums...they had a huge impact on the game and where seen as classics...or if they were not using that word...definitely the top albums of their era. When Reasonable doubt came out...it had very little impact...only ppl in new york cared for the album...ppl say it said it was a great album, but not classic. Reasonable Doubt didn't have the same attention as Ready To Die, Me Agaisnt The World, Illmatic, Chronic, and Doggystyle. Plus they were other albums labeled as instant classics such as Only Built 4 Cuban Linx.

In 2001 when Jayz was beefing with nas and was at his peak popularity wise...that's when he started calling Reasonable Doubt a classic. Ppl accepted that cuz of Jayz sales and popularity. That is the sole reason why ppl call reasonable doubt a classic. If it wasn't for Jayz sales and popularity...most people would not be calling that album a classic.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 09:19:39 PM by makaveli11 »
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

Don Breezio

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2006, 09:45:42 PM »
^^^ so by your logic people only see reasonable doubt as a classic because jay-z said it? so if ludacris came out saying back for the first time was a classic...that would mean that millions of hip hop fans would view it as a classic? no. Reasonable doubt is viewed as a classic because it is one. just like the chronic is viewed as a classic...because it is one. I know a lot of people that were calling reasonable doubt a classic before 2001. thats like saying that illmatic is only a classic because nas said it was

truedupbluedup

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2006, 09:53:01 PM »
The Word "Classic" gets thrown around so much nowadays. People label any cd they want classic. The word classic seems like an opinion to me now, even though thats how it shouldnt be. Besides a few cd's people will never agree on whats classic... I think All eyez on me, death certificate and dogg food are classics. But there alot of people that wont agree with me especailyl about Dogg Food. So what really is the definition of a classic?

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2006, 10:07:02 PM »
that mixtape is not legit...someone jacked the concept.

Sikotic™

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2006, 10:18:35 PM »
lol @ people calling this wanna be Biggie a phenomenon.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Elevz

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2006, 04:53:37 AM »

in my lifetime - classic

I'm really sorry, but I can't do nothing but laugh at the list of classics Jay-Z has according to you. Get real with it; Reasonable Doubt is the only album he has that could possibly fit that title. The rest of his catalogue is pretty much average to wack, a few exceptions there. He sure does come strong on most of his guest appearances, but does that make him a phenomenon?

To me, the title phenomenon is something that would suit someone who used to be all over the rap game but for some reason isn't anymore these days. Jay-Z still is all over the rap game, as is Nas. Biggie and Pac died at the peaks of their careers, that's enough to turn them into legends and phenomenons. Would Jay-Z really fit that title? I think not.

The reason why I mentioned Big Punisher as a possible third rap phenomenon... It was basically what I'd expected them to do, rather than this being my opinion, but anyway. Big Pun has been gone for some years now and to this very day he's known as the rapper with the most incredible breath control ever. And that for a 600 pound fatass. Not bad, huh? Some people label Capital Punishment a classic. He was the first Latino solo rapper to go platinum. He may not have had as much impact on the rap game as Biggie, but then again, Pun didn't have any much publicised beefs. Who knows what it would have been like if Pac hadn't died and he'd have ran into a fight with Big Pun in 1999 instead of with Biggie earlier on. Pun may just not have had anyone to challenge him. You say Pun only had 2 studio albums, a TerrorSquad album and a remix album... May I remind you, that's more than what Big had at the time he got labelled a "Rap Phenomenon"?

I'm not saying in order to be a rap phenomenon you must die first. Rakim and KRS-One would be some great acceptable options for rap phenomenons. They bring back nostalgic memories, and that's what a rap phenomenon's supposed to do. Whenever I now hear Jay-Z, I think of the current Def Jam boss. Not much of a phenomenon if you ask me.