Author Topic: Rap phenomenon III is......  (Read 998 times)

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Rap phenomenon III is......
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2006, 01:13:32 PM »
^^^ so by your logic people only see reasonable doubt as a classic because jay-z said it? so if ludacris came out saying back for the first time was a classic...that would mean that millions of hip hop fans would view it as a classic? no. Reasonable doubt is viewed as a classic because it is one. just like the chronic is viewed as a classic...because it is one. I know a lot of people that were calling reasonable doubt a classic before 2001. thats like saying that illmatic is only a classic because nas said it was
My logic? What are you talkin about? I didn't say in order for an album to be a classic, it has to be called a classic from the artist that made that album. I said the only reason ppl call Reasonable Doubt a classic is because Jayz said so. Jayz got away with this because of his sales and popularity which was at its peak when he was beefing with Nas. That's when Jayz started calling Reasonable Doubt a classic which was in 2001. When Reasonable Doubt came out, it was seen as a great album, but not a true classic from the general consensus like The Chronic, Doggystyle, Me Against The World, Ready To Die, and Illmatic.
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

Don Breezio

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2006, 10:40:06 PM »
The reason why I mentioned Big Punisher as a possible third rap phenomenon... It was basically what I'd expected them to do, rather than this being my opinion, but anyway. Big Pun has been gone for some years now and to this very day he's known as the rapper with the most incredible breath control ever. And that for a 600 pound fatass. Not bad, huh? Some people label Capital Punishment a classic. He was the first Latino solo rapper to go platinum. He may not have had as much impact on the rap game as Biggie, but then again, Pun didn't have any much publicised beefs. Who knows what it would have been like if Pac hadn't died and he'd have ran into a fight with Big Pun in 1999 instead of with Biggie earlier on. Pun may just not have had anyone to challenge him. You say Pun only had 2 studio albums, a TerrorSquad album and a remix album... May I remind you, that's more than what Big had at the time he got labelled a "Rap Phenomenon"?

I'm not saying in order to be a rap phenomenon you must die first. Rakim and KRS-One would be some great acceptable options for rap phenomenons. They bring back nostalgic memories, and that's what a rap phenomenon's supposed to do. Whenever I now hear Jay-Z, I think of the current Def Jam boss. Not much of a phenomenon if you ask me.

hmmm....alright i'll give you pun...when you put it like that he would be a decent fit...i still think jay-z is good for it...but i wont say pun wouldnt be a good one

Just Another Sunny day in California

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Twin Turbos....yeeeee
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2006, 12:18:50 PM »
lol @ people calling this wanna be Biggie a phenomenon.

hahaha tell me about it, he probably retired because he ran out of Biggie rhymes to steal and use for himself.
Oh I like this one... One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy's sayin', "Whadda ya want from me?