Author Topic: Christians vs. Britney Spears  (Read 770 times)

Eihtball

Christians vs. Britney Spears
« on: February 03, 2006, 01:35:48 PM »
What's this shit about only Muslims being intolerant of their beliefs being mocked?

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- A conservative advocacy group that urged a boycott of NBC's recently canceled drama about a pill-popping priest turned its wrath Thursday to an upcoming "Will & Grace" episode that it says will mock Christ's crucifixion.

But NBC executives insist the group's objections stem from faulty details in a press release mistakenly issued by the network earlier this week, and that neither a script nor story line for the episode in question has been written.

The latest religious flap at NBC flared after the network announced Tuesday that pop star Britney Spears will make an April 13 guest appearance on "Will & Grace," playing a Christian conservative talk-show sidekick to Jack, the gay character portrayed by series regular Sean Hayes. (Read story.)

According to NBC's initial synopsis of the episode, Jack's fictional TV network, Out TV, is taken over by a Christian broadcaster, leading Spears' character to do a cooking segment on his show called "Cruci-fixin's."

The American Family Association immediately raised objections to the planned episode, saying it "mocks the crucifixion of Christ" and will "further denigrate Christianity" by airing the night before Good Friday.

On its Web site, the Mississippi-based advocacy group called on its supporters to urge network affiliates to refuse to run the episode and to write letters of protest to NBC.

NBC countered that the dispute stems from an inaccurate press release that went out without being properly vetted.

"Some erroneous information was mistakenly included in a press release describing an upcoming episode of 'Will & Grace,' which in fact has yet to be written," NBC spokeswoman Rebecca Marks told Reuters late in the day.

All that has been decided is that Spears will play a central role in an upcoming episode that will likely air sometime in April, Marks added.

There was no immediate comment from representatives for Spears, whose guest spot on the gay-themed sitcom will mark her first public performance since she had her first child in September.

The same organization urged an affiliate and advertising boycott of the recent NBC series, "The Book of Daniel," a drama starring Aidan Quinn as a Vicodin-addicted Episcopal minister who talks to Jesus.

NBC, a unit of the General Electric Co., yanked the program from its schedule last month after just three weeks on the air, citing abysmal ratings.

The network also had trouble finding commercial sponsors for the show, and several smaller affiliates declined to carry the series, objecting to its portrayal of Christian themes.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Christians vs. Britney Spears
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 01:42:21 PM »
I don't think there's a person in the world that doesn't know how stupid fanatical Christians can be. Some of the evangelical Christians as far as away from the concepts and beliefs of Christianity as one can get.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 01:44:19 PM »
Boycott vs. Riots. Big difference.

I'm not  defending either group, but a boycott causes only damage to TV ratings in this situation.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 01:45:50 PM »
Didn't they even try to ban Harry Potter books from the library ::) They said it taught kids that witchcraft is good. I'm not sure what type of Christianity though. All religions are bullshit.

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 01:49:45 PM »
Some Christian groups in the United States have denounced the series, saying it promotes witchcraft or Satanism. "It contains some powerful and valuable lessons about love and courage and the ultimate victory of good over evil," said Paul Hetrick, spokesman for Focus on the Family, a national evangelical Christian group based in Colorado Springs. "However, the positive messages are packaged in a medium — witchcraft — that is directly denounced in scripture." [3]. The official exorcist of Rome, Father Gabriele Amorth, believes that the Harry Potter books can be a bad influence on some children by getting them interested in the occult (see Christian views on witchcraft).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_censorship

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 01:51:46 PM »
^^ You don't think that there is a difference between boycotting something and riots in the street?

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 01:55:32 PM »
^^ You don't think that there is a difference between boycotting something and riots in the street?
Of course, but my point is them trying to ccensor something they don't like no matter how stupid it is.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 01:57:15 PM »
[url]http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?aid=411[Anti Abortion Violence!!!/url]

"Over the last 20 years, anti-abortion terrorists have been responsible for six murders and 15 attempted murders (see Lake of Fire), according to the National Abortion Federation. They have also been behind some 200 bombings and arsons, 72 attempted arsons, 750 death and bomb threats and hundreds of acts of vandalism, intimidation, stalking and burglary."

J Bananas

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 03:23:30 PM »
fuck christianity and islam.

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 03:26:05 PM »
Do you think these Christians will react like this:

http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=101809.0

Eihtball

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 03:58:35 PM »
Do you think these Christians will react like this:

http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=101809.0

Well, Christians have carried out their share of terrorist attacks and such (as Javy pointed out, the abortion doctor killers are good examples).  Not to mention they're some of the most anti-gun control people out there, and there are these right-wing militia groups and shit like that (remember when the CSA wanted to assassinate Jesse Jackson back in the late-80s'?).  So yeah, I'd say Christianity has its share of intolerant muh'fuckas and such.

Since this is DubCNN, might I remind you that it's Christian assholes that have been responsible for most of the crusades against gangsta rap?  If you're a Christian, what do your parents and peer think of you listening to such immoral and profane music?  Surely, that's hypocritical right there?  I've always told you shouldn't be listening to this kinda music, and it seems this is another example of your contradictions.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 04:39:32 PM by Eihtball »

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 04:50:07 PM »

Since this is DubCNN, might I remind you that it's Christian assholes that have been responsible for most of the crusades against gangsta rap?  If you're a Christian, what do your parents and peer think of you listening to such immoral and profane music?  Surely, that's hypocritical right there?  I've always told you shouldn't be listening to this kinda music, and it seems this is another example of your contradictions.

Surely you can't deny that gangsta rap sends harmful messages to children. I, on the other hand, am an adult.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 04:52:04 PM »
religion sucks. get over it. the only decent religions are the ones that dont involve a "god". buddhism shits on all other religions.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Eihtball

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 04:57:02 PM »
Surely you can't deny that gangsta rap sends harmful messages to children. I, on the other hand, am an adult.

I have often spoken at lengths about the harmful effect I believe gangsta rap is having upon black youth, in case you been sleeping on most of my posts.

But unlike you, I'm not a Christian, so it's not as if this music contradicts my scruples.  Besides, you avoided my question completely: What do you think of your fellow Christians working so hard to suppress gangsta rap records (and yes, I know those aren't the ONLY ones doing it)?  Christians have been single-handedly responsible for almost all media censorship in this country.

Sikotic™

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 05:22:10 PM »
Back in the day soeone told my brother to throw away his pokemon cards because they're satanic. Some christians are real freaks.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE