Author Topic: Knicks/Raptors Trade  (Read 1720 times)

PLANT

Re: Knicks/Raptors Trade
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »
Why not just buying a niggas contract out then? Is a waived player still buggin your salary cap when you bought his contract out and send him packin?

Houston rule!
Man, you just dont get it do you?  Its not rocket science.....If you buy the players contract out, then you are still paying the 17 mil to buy out Jalens contract.  Now that Jalen is a Knick, New York has to pay Jalen and took over his contract.  So the Raptors dont owe Jalen shit anymore therefore Toronto now has an extra 17 mil to play with.  Obviously Jalen was not part of that Raptors future plans, but it was hard for them to get rid of him becuase his contract is worth so much and hes way overpaid.  Typical of the Knicks to pick up a player like that.  They always go after guys like Penny Hardaway, Eddie Curry and now Jalen Rose who are overpaid and overated players.  

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2006, 11:00:05 AM »
Of course you have to give him money when you buy him out no shit but he won't be on your roster anymore and that what it's all about isnt it?
That you have to pay some millions only matters if the owner is a broke dude. Cause them millions from buyin him out wont get on the salary cap
So they shouldve just done that instead of what they did. Like Mavs did Finley. I'd be hella pissed if Mavs traded Finley and picks for bullshit players instead of buyin his contract out.

Toronto basically traded a 1st round pick for Davis which is a horrible trade at that. They shouldve just give 15 mil to Rose in the offseason and send him packin, situation would be the same only that they still had the pick.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

PLANT

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2006, 11:06:17 AM »
man you are making me feel like smashing my head off the wall

The point was not to get rid of Jalen, but to get rid of his contract.  If you bought him out, then you wouldnt be getting rid of his contract now would you?

Toronto would rather sign other players like Mike James ect. and have some cap room instead of keep Jalen and his contract. 

Here is an example......Lets say the cap is 50 million per year and Toronto had 48 million invested in its players.  They only have 2 mil to work with, which isnt gona get you jack shit in the NBA.  So they trade Jalen to the Knicks and his contract with 17 Million left on it.  48-17 is 31.  So now Toronto only has 31 million invested in its players for next season and they have 19 million to play around with and get guys they need and add some pieces to the puzzle. 

The reason they traded Jalen was becuase they had to now.  They need to make moves this year and cant wait till Jalens contract expires or they wont have a chance in resigning players like James and Bosh becuase they simply wont have enough money.  If they had just waited unti, Jalens contract expired than all that money would have been tied up this summer and they wouldnt have been able to make any moves.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 11:13:08 AM by PLANT »

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2006, 11:15:07 AM »
it's not that Im missin the point homie, it's just that as far as I know, when a nigga got his contract bought out, you got rid of both of them. the nigga and the contract. lakers did it with grant, mavs did it with finley, knicks wanted to do it with houston.

whatever, let's stop talkin bout that.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

PLANT

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2006, 11:16:59 AM »
ok well why would you buy someones contract out when you could just dump them to someone else (knicks) and now they have to pay it.?   sounds like a smart business move to me

TobyTizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2006, 02:38:12 PM »
Its not that smart though. Giving away a pick and $ for it. Also, at the moment the Denver pick is sitting at 22nd. If they (for example) lose a few games and fall back 2 games, the pick goes to 13. Denver are in a weird situation where if they fall back in the stands just a little, they fall a lot. Some geek on the Toronto board was explaining it.

Also, how can you call Eddy Curry overpriced? We are paying him around 8mil this season. He is a 22 year old 6'11 post threat with A LOT of game. 90 mil for Dalembert = overpaid   63 mil for Chandler = very questionable  50mil over 5 years for Eddy Curry, not as bad as you'd think. Penny Hardaway we took on to get Marbury, so that explains it. Due to our cap situation (and endless cash supply), when we make a trade, we generally have to take on extra money as well. Like when we traded Nazr for Malik and 2 1st round picks (one of which is David Lee). We took on extra years of Malik's contract, to get two 1st round picks. We wont be under the cap until atleast 07/08. Allan Houston, JYD, Shandon Anderson, Mo Taylor, Malik are all off at the end of 06/07. Without resigning any players at this point in time and dropping all of them, we go from $120m to $47m. But obviously we will have other guys added before then, possibly Mike James ;)

PLANT

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2006, 03:13:44 PM »

Also, how can you call Eddy Curry overpriced? We are paying him around 8mil this season. He is a 22 year old 6'11 post threat with A LOT of game.

Well I agree EC does have game but his heart problems worry me, he already had to sit out almost a whole season and theres no telling when it might happen again.  When you are diagnosed with a heart murmer or irregular heart beat, it doesnt go away.  Hoepfully he remains healthy tho, I do think he is a good player. 

But 8 mil a season for Curry is still alot of money when you also have to pay for Marbury, Crawford, Richardson and now Rose.......Yikes :-\
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 04:29:45 PM by PLANT »

acbaylove

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2006, 04:04:14 PM »
What about Jerome James?

PLANT

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2006, 04:28:52 PM »
What about Jerome James?
I forgot about him.......Whats his contract worth?  Isnt it around 60 mil or so?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2006, 05:11:24 PM »
This is what they fired Babcock for? Sure they wanted to dump Jalen, but they coulda' done A LOT better....

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2006, 05:40:13 PM »
i predict the toronto raptures will soon become the cinncinati/jacksonville/pittsberg/richmond/des moins/ montpierre/ hatford/albany/buffalo or lansing raptors

We're a top of the line intl city/.//the fukk u think this is?
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

TobyTizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2006, 05:46:51 PM »
What about Jerome James?
I forgot about him.......Whats his contract worth?  Isnt it around 60 mil or so?

$30mil, but obviously so far he hasnt been worth it. But, at the time it we would have been starting Channing Frye at the C as we didnt have Eddy Curry or Antonio Davis, so Isiah sorta had to sign James. We got lucky after with EC and AD. Curry's heart condition was a worry for me too, but he has been cleared to play, and all in all he only missed like 20 games last season from it. The 8 mil for Curry is not a problem to me, because there arent that many dominant young big men around (Amare, Bosh, Dwight Howard, Okafor, Yao) so if you have one, give him the money he deserves. Crawford is worth his money half the time, then the other half I could do better.

Anyways, the reason the deal never got done before was Babcock thought picks were VERY valuable, and if you look at his resume he never really traded a pick. Toronto needed to focus on Bosh, and by clearing up more capspace this shows a real committment to keep him, and possibly James. So I do think it made sense for Toronto in some sense, but I still feel NY got the better. Jalen Rose was never gonna be around long term, so better to get him outta the flow now...

who knows, AD will probably get released and sign with Chicago again... PLANT anyword from Davis yet about his playing situation?

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2006, 06:34:45 PM »
Raw deal for the Raptors ???

PLANT

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2006, 09:26:44 PM »
... PLANT anyword from Davis yet about his playing situation?
The player has 48 hours to report to the team after they've been traded. The Raptors play tomorrow so we will see if Davis is in the house. ??? Im kinda doubting he will even play for the Raps tho, considering his history here and all....