Author Topic: Rakim or Big Daddy Kane  (Read 526 times)

"THE" MoSav

Rakim or Big Daddy Kane
« on: February 04, 2006, 01:26:36 AM »
I have heard both of these guys but they were kind of right before my time so i dont know a WHOLE lot about them. I just know noth are considered legends but I would like to hear more from them. Who was better and what are some of there biggest hits Rakim and Big Daddy Kane

Songs ive heard....

Aint No half Steppin
Dont Sweat the technique
Microphone fiend
I aint No Joke
R.A.K.I.M
and a few more songs featuring Rakim.....

The Best of 3 Worlds

Elevz

Re: Rakim or Big Daddy Kane
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 07:23:37 AM »
I just love Big Daddy Kane's style a whole lot more. I really believe he's got one of the best flows ever and he got wordplay too. Some must haves for Kane are

Raw (remix)
Set it off
On the bugged tip
Ain't no half steppin'
It's a Big Daddy thing
Another victory
Mortal combat
Young, gifted and black
Wrath of Kane
Pimpin' ain't easy
Warm it up, Kane
Nuff respect (off the Juice soundtrack)

Oh well. The list is big, I suggest you just give his albums a try :D

Elevz

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 07:28:17 AM »
Rakim has a lot that you really need to listen to though.

I know you got soul
I ain't no joke
Follow the leader
Paid in full
Eric B. is president
Let the rhythm hit 'em
Microphone fiend
Move the crowd
Know the ledge (once again, off the Juice soundtrack)

Once again... It should be worth it just checking his entire catalog. Think of all the stuff that Rakim did after he split up with Eric B. that I haven't even mentioned yet.

ABN

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 08:55:45 AM »
well if you want Ra in his prime then just check out his albums with Eric B. from what i´ve heard from my oldest brother and his friends shit really changed when Ra hit the scene and everybody who couldn´t hang with him lyrically was forced to step their game up. and if you listen to Ra´s shit compared to everything else that dropped in the 80´s it amazing to hear how superior Rakim really was. people didn´t nickname him the "god MC" for nothing. skip his last 2 albums coz their not up to par with what Ra´s capable off. only thing you can really complain about Ra´s older albums is the production coz Eric´s not a great producer.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 09:20:33 AM »
Ra really did revolutionize what an MC is today.  If you're a younger cat trying to get into his stuff, i'd recommend starting with his solo's that he dropped in the mid/late 90's.  The only reason I say this is because the production on the Eric B. & Rakim joints is def old school, and if you haven't worked your way up to it, you prob won't feel it as much. 

I'd recommend getting "The 18th Letter".  The album as a whole has its ups and downs, but there are some INCREDIBLE tracks on there.  My favs are "18th Letter", "Remember That","It's been a long time", "Guess who's back".  Those songs def have a more contemporary production style, and Ra is great as always.

Don't get it twisted, the tracks that Elevz listed are ESSENTIAL to really know inside & out what makes Ra one of the greatest.  But i'm just saying i'd ease into those tracks.

More about the production on the Eric B. & Rakim albums:  I've read lots of things that suggest that Eric B. wasn't really a producer at all.  He was really just the DJ spinning the records, scratching and such during performances.  I've read Rakim played a big role in the soundscapes of those songs.  Another thing i've heard is that the majority of their records were actually ghost produced by Large Professor.  It wouldn't surprise me.

Oh and props for trying to educate yourself on hip-hop. 8)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 09:22:53 AM by Jrome The Damaja »

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 09:31:57 AM »
I love BDK's charisma/wordplay, but personally I prefer Rakim. To me they have two totally different approaches to the microphone...Rakim has a more personal, serious relationship wit the microphone IMO, but BDK is more on braggin wit his ill metaphors and style. Too bad that battle between Rakim/BDK never happened...Rakim would have gotten BDK on wax. ;D

Anyway like someone said, check out 18th Letter...it is a really great album and I believe it can hang wit some of his older stuff...if you really like the album check out Follow The Leader...the production is really dope and it's more aggresive...after that check out his classic debut Paid In Full. If you are constantly bumping all three of those albums, you know what is up. 8)

P.S. Anyone have "Break The Wrath In Half", "Riff The Raff", and "Candy Kane"?
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 09:47:15 AM »
thanks guys...Im going to go check it out everything listed i am on limewire downloading all these tracks everyone listed...It seems like most of you guys give Rakim the edge, and just by listening to a lil bit of these guys i can tell how much different they are. It sounds like Rakim is more modern to me. I really do like BDK's flow and how he rhymes so many words together so fast for that time. BUt rakim's voice and presence on the Mic really keeps me hooked. I am starting to see why now everyone calls Rakim the GOD MC. THANKS for yall help!

The Best of 3 Worlds

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 03:25:26 PM »
Ra really did revolutionize what an MC is today.  If you're a younger cat trying to get into his stuff, i'd recommend starting with his solo's that he dropped in the mid/late 90's.  The only reason I say this is because the production on the Eric B. & Rakim joints is def old school, and if you haven't worked your way up to it, you prob won't feel it as much. 

I'd recommend getting "The 18th Letter".  The album as a whole has its ups and downs, but there are some INCREDIBLE tracks on there.  My favs are "18th Letter", "Remember That","It's been a long time", "Guess who's back".  Those songs def have a more contemporary production style, and Ra is great as always.

Don't get it twisted, the tracks that Elevz listed are ESSENTIAL to really know inside & out what makes Ra one of the greatest.  But i'm just saying i'd ease into those tracks.

More about the production on the Eric B. & Rakim albums:  I've read lots of things that suggest that Eric B. wasn't really a producer at all.  He was really just the DJ spinning the records, scratching and such during performances.  I've read Rakim played a big role in the soundscapes of those songs.  Another thing i've heard is that the majority of their records were actually ghost produced by Large Professor.  It wouldn't surprise me.

Oh and props for trying to educate yourself on hip-hop. 8)

I agree, first start with 18th letter, than get his older stuff.

My favorite Rakim joint is Know the Ledge (Juice), that song is incredible. If any of yall have the video, please hook it up.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

$do11a biLL$

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 10:14:39 AM »
lyrically Rakim but i like Big Daddy Kanes style better

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 10:35:38 PM »
since i been listening to some of these suggested tracks i think i like Rakim better and i think he is the better MC, but Big Daddy Kane has such a tight style and a dope flow. so this one is close... :argue: i cant decide...

The Best of 3 Worlds

AZ§o§a

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 10:42:28 PM »
kim

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 09:16:27 AM »
ive always liked big daddy kane more. they both had great flows, but rakim had no energy. big daddy kane had that style to his flow
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 10:18:48 AM »
from what Ive heard Im going with Rakim, but Kane is amazing also  ;D

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 10:39:44 AM »
Big Daddy Kane

sharjiel

• 'G'
  • PAKI...What!!
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 02:09:07 PM »
rakim has a sick style(insane) , but my personel fav is Big daddy kane...on the mic,,,freestyllin...he wud take it!!

Rakim, BDK, KRS...those were sum good days fa hip-hop!!!
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sittng next to you saying...'Damn we fucked up' -