Author Topic: Cash Money & No Limit's success?  (Read 1043 times)

Eihtball

Re: Cash Money & No Limit's success?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 11:02:48 AM »
I dunno about ya'll, but I could never stand No Limit.  And the main reason I hate No Limit is because P essentially got rich by imitating the West Coast sound and re-selling it as pop music.  Almost nobody on No Limit had any talent whatsoever (except for Snoop and Mystikal), and Beats by the Pound's production was simply a bastardized, cheaper version of G-Funk.  The only reason No Limit records sold well was because they were done so cheaply that they sounded raw, and white kids like that because the more underground it sounds, the more they think of it as "street".

As far as Cash Money - yeah, their records didn't have much substance, but at least they came up with their own unique (for the time) production style and they actually contributed something new to hip-hop.  More than I can say for P.

ExZit

• CPG Recordz CEO
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • COMPTONS MOST WANTED
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 12:32:56 PM »
This is a intresting topic... at least at the moment, when Cash Money got a Cult-status!

but what label do u think have had the best roster of artists and released albums?

No Limit:
Master P
Mystikal
Snoop Dogg
C-Murder
Soulja Slim
Silk Tha Shocker
Lil Romeo
etc....

vs

Cash Money:
Lil Wayne
Juvenile
Mannie Fresh
Baby
BG
Turk
Mack 10 & TQ
etc..

wich artists do u think will stand the test of time and never forgotten?

i feel Master P is the biggest name of them all, but Cash money got a better "overall" roster!
- - ExZit's top 5 Albums of 2006 - - -

- - ExZit's top 5 Albums of 2005 - - -

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 03:06:24 PM »
i could never listen to any no limit song, well, like 2-3, while i was bumpin cash money like crazy, everything from juve's, lil wayne's, hot boys debut, all dope ass albums, dope flows and hot beats....

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2006, 06:27:36 PM »
I dunno about ya'll, but I could never stand No Limit. And the main reason I hate No Limit is because P essentially got rich by imitating the West Coast sound and re-selling it as pop music. Almost nobody on No Limit had any talent whatsoever (except for Snoop and Mystikal), and Beats by the Pound's production was simply a bastardized, cheaper version of G-Funk. The only reason No Limit records sold well was because they were done so cheaply that they sounded raw, and white kids like that because the more underground it sounds, the more they think of it as "street".

As far as Cash Money - yeah, their records didn't have much substance, but at least they came up with their own unique (for the time) production style and they actually contributed something new to hip-hop. More than I can say for P.

No doubt that No Limit def has some West Coast elements to it, but so did the Geto Boys.  And P lived in Richmond, Cali for a while, he dropped those "West Coast Bad Boyz" albums, so obviously he was influenced by the west coast sound -  Just like I am, and i'm from the midwest.  And not all of their songs were raw and cheap sounding.  Make Em Say Ugh was a clean ass record, and arguably their biggest hit.

Talent wise, they had a decent pool.  You mentioned Mystikal and Snoop, but BBTP were talented, and so was Mia X and Mac.

Citizen-Y

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 06:32:17 PM »
Mack 10 was an affiliate with No Limit.  Hell, he played a part in I'm Bout It.  West coast motherfucker jumping out of a whip in Ben Davis flashing steel.

Maxin in the Shade

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2006, 08:52:06 PM »
Mack 10 was an affiliate with No Limit.  Hell, he played a part in I'm Bout It.  West coast motherfucker jumping out of a whip in Ben Davis flashing steel.

what was his Cash Money album like?
Always talkin bout the cash he got, the little pesos for shows
And God knows his materialistic raps and wack flows
are like Stay Free pads, fake V.I.P. rappers get garbage disposed
Unrecouped for his flamboyance and reflection
He's leasin rentin and frontin
- Kool Keith 'Haters'

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2006, 10:39:24 PM »
I dunno about ya'll, but I could never stand No Limit. And the main reason I hate No Limit is because P essentially got rich by imitating the West Coast sound and re-selling it as pop music. Almost nobody on No Limit had any talent whatsoever (except for Snoop and Mystikal), and Beats by the Pound's production was simply a bastardized, cheaper version of G-Funk. The only reason No Limit records sold well was because they were done so cheaply that they sounded raw, and white kids like that because the more underground it sounds, the more they think of it as "street".

As far as Cash Money - yeah, their records didn't have much substance, but at least they came up with their own unique (for the time) production style and they actually contributed something new to hip-hop. More than I can say for P.

No doubt that No Limit def has some West Coast elements to it, but so did the Geto Boys.  And P lived in Richmond, Cali for a while, he dropped those "West Coast Bad Boyz" albums, so obviously he was influenced by the west coast sound -  Just like I am, and i'm from the midwest.  And not all of their songs were raw and cheap sounding.  Make Em Say Ugh was a clean ass record, and arguably their biggest hit.

Talent wise, they had a decent pool.  You mentioned Mystikal and Snoop, but BBTP were talented, and so was Mia X and Mac.

Yeah...their overall sound definitely didn't reflect G-Funk...they actually re-defined what southern music sounded like, and that's why South music is so 808-heavy and has that bouncy "crunk" tempo to it. Before No Limit, down south music sounded soulful like with Outkast and Goodie Mob, and was suuuuuuuper fast tempo and strictly for dance, like Luke's music. No Limit's sound was somethin like crunk, but most of their songs were a lot more laid back. Yeah some of P's older songs sounded like they were G-Funk inspired, such as "Mr. Ice cream man" "Bout it bout it" and "How you do dat there"....but their biggest tracks, such as "It ain't my fault" "Hot boyz n girls" "Make em say uhh" "Thinkin about you" "That's that nigga/rapper" "Hoody hoo" and "No Limit Soldiers" had their own sound that helped begin the evolution of what Lil Jon and the rest of the artists down south sound like.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 10:42:25 PM by R-Tistic »

We Fly High

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2006, 11:17:33 PM »
young bleed how ya do dat there is classic as fuck.

Woodrow

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2006, 11:32:50 PM »
Damn, did anybody catch Master P interview on Julio G tonite?!! Crazy shit!

I'll hook up the audio if anybody is interested...

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2006, 01:03:15 AM »
i liked 96-98 NO LIMIT.... never like cash money....

what else?

Citizen-Y

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2006, 03:44:59 PM »
i liked 96-98 NO LIMIT.... never like cash money....

what else?

what

Eihtball

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2006, 06:08:48 PM »

Oh, I know P was in Richmond...No Limit was based there for a while, so it figures P would be influenced by Dre, Snoop, and other popular West Coast rappers.  But generally speaking, their shit was wack.  Sometimes, they were entertaining, but that was kinda rare.  And most of No Limit's stuff did have an underground kinda sound to it, obviously not the singles, but most of their other shit.  I remember one summer when I came from college, and my little brother (who was about 12 then) was bumpin No Limit albums, and spouting bout how their shit was so street-sounding.  I've always thought that's how No Limit got over - their music was extremely cheap (I think KLC said in an interview that their recording budgets were ridiculously low), so it came across sounding like something from the underground.  And all the suburban kids were like, "Aiight, word, this some street-level gangsta shit right here!" even though it was really just cheap.

Yeah...their overall sound definitely didn't reflect G-Funk...they actually re-defined what southern music sounded like, and that's why South music is so 808-heavy and has that bouncy "crunk" tempo to it. Before No Limit, down south music sounded soulful like with Outkast and Goodie Mob, and was suuuuuuuper fast tempo and strictly for dance, like Luke's music. No Limit's sound was somethin like crunk, but most of their songs were a lot more laid back. Yeah some of P's older songs sounded like they were G-Funk inspired, such as "Mr. Ice cream man" "Bout it bout it" and "How you do dat there"....but their biggest tracks, such as "It ain't my fault" "Hot boyz n girls" "Make em say uhh" "Thinkin about you" "That's that nigga/rapper" "Hoody hoo" and "No Limit Soldiers" had their own sound that helped begin the evolution of what Lil Jon and the rest of the artists down south sound like.

There are some clear elements of G-Funk in BBTP's work, even after P had already relocated to his hometown.  The whiny synthesizers, the bits of soulful piano keys, shit like that.  Listen to C-Murder's albums especially - "Life Or Death" is almost a straight G-Funk record.  And Three-6 were already doing "crunk" shit before that.  Remember, P ripped off a lotta cats from everywhere, not just West Coast.  P did help put the South on top, I'll give you that, but I don't think No Limit really contributed much artistically.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 06:13:58 PM by Eihtball »

ABN

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2006, 07:49:53 AM »
man No Limit was so big that itīs crazy, i mean even 1 of Kane & Abelīs albumīs was certified gold. now go out and ask people if theyīve ever heard of Kane & Abel. and whether or not you like P aint that important but you canīt hate on him for gettin the best deal in rap history and he never did commercial music when he was big. he did it his way and when you think about how hardcore most of NLīs singles were itīs crazy that they sold so many units. more rappers should take a few notes from P on how you can get paid without becoming a slave and selling your soul. he actually made 77% of the money with his Priority deal and thatīs unheard of, itīs pretty much impossible to get a major deal and still make indie money but thatīs what P did and he did it by bein a true hustler. like selling 400k of the first TRU album with his brothers indie and thatīs crazy. all of the these new rappers from their south owes all of their success to Master P coz before him you didnīt hear no southern music on the radio or on MTV(that might not be a good thing lol). but No Limit actually had some rappers that could spit like MAC(one of the best rappers from south),Mystikal,Fiend and a couple of more that i donīt remember the names of right now. and yea P did fall of after the Pound left but he really fell of forever when Deadly Soundz stopped fucking with him coz of a debt. Pīs downfall was prolly his hustler mentality coz he kept on taking all of the proceeds and not splitting them with his team and he fucked over all of his artists. and a lot of artists should learn from Pīs mistake coz he released too much shit and thatīs why people got tired of him and guys like 50 Cent should take notice coz if 50 keeps this up the same thing that happened to P will happen to 50.