Author Topic: Red Hot Chili Peppers : By The Way    (Read 188 times)

themovie

Red Hot Chili Peppers : By The Way  
« on: July 11, 2002, 06:50:36 AM »
WHAT'S YOUR FEELINGS ABOUT THIS ALBUM ? ? ?
BETTER OR WORSE THAN CALIFORNIACATION ?
(To me the best still "Blood Sugar Sex Magik")

"Fans of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' sun-baked punk-funk are going to think they've seen (or heard) a ghost when they pop in By the Way -- this ain't your sock-wearing band of merry pranksters anymore.
The SoCal quartet has done what they merely hinted at with 1999's Californication: The Red Hot Chili Peppers have evolved. In part because they were so good at those spastic jams, and because they did them for so long, the unexpected subtlety of By the Way, the way it caresses its melodies and never goes for the big freak-out moment, is almost shocking in its simplicity, and the simplicity of its blissful tunes is mesmerizing.

Sonically, this is the most diverse and intriguing work of their careers, drifting from serpentine psychedelic jams ("Warm Tape") to vaudevillian love songs ("Cabron") to woozy, Doors-like acid trips ("Don't Forget Me"). Everything on here -- even the near-misses -- offers at least a fascinating song construction.

All the slap basses and guitar solos in the world do not a good song make, and the band finally has a grasp on its own dynamic; these atmospheric pop songs, from the loping "I Could Die for You" to the straight-from-the-'60s "Tear" are the most fully realized and beautiful things they've yet written. Even the most typical Chili Pepper moments (and the wiry guitar textures of "Can't Stop" and "Dosed" readily qualify), sound fresh and exciting, buoyed not just by gorgeous background harmonies from bassist Flea (who knew?) and John Frusciante's spidery six string textures, but Anthony Kiedis himself, who gets deep in these songs and sings the hell out of them. A welcome surprise.

Brad Cawn
CDNOW Contributing Writer"
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

BossPlaya

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Much Luv2 lil Villian N NINO Tha Mack OCSA 4 LIFE
Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers : By The Way  
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2002, 08:48:32 AM »

"i putz it down homie for tha BIG S.A 714 till i hit my grave O.C muthafucka till i reach tha top n even then foo i  just wont stop with my gangsta flows or my  gangsta mentality straight takin out all u muthafuckin WANNABES who pussied out cuz in tha city of Santa Ana we aint no nagels puro crazy pimps crazy gangb

Sikotic™

Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers : By The Way  
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2002, 11:17:58 AM »

LMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE