Author Topic: Why We Love Our Music.....  (Read 96 times)

infinite59

Why We Love Our Music.....
« on: March 12, 2002, 07:54:46 PM »
This was from a ficitional short story I read, this guys thoughts are interesting, they kind of describe me when I became a 13 year old hip-hop head in 94'.  (Except I don't believe that my music lacks depth, this was in the 70's) The character is speaking in a barber shop about young people.  The story takes place in the 70's, and the man is angry that the young kids aren't listening to what he listens to.

"Ya see, the young folks today lack discipline-and ain't nothin worthwhile been produced without discipline.  But discipline is based on authority--And what authority is worthy of their loyalty?  Corrupt Governments, Status-ridden churches, the suspicious media, adulterous parents, manipulative peers?  To whom or toward what can they turn?  Solely to music.  Music has become the air they breathe, the very sunlight they absorb.  They imitate it's rythyms in their talk, their walk.  Yet they are soft.  For they have never really suffered.  That's why so much of their music lacks depth."