Author Topic: Mosque Attack Pushes Iraq Toward Civil War  (Read 545 times)

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mo Z. Dizzle, the CEO of WCC Wrestling League
Mosque Attack Pushes Iraq Toward Civil War
« on: February 22, 2006, 06:24:27 PM »

By ZIAD KHALAF, Associated Press Writer 2 minutes ago

SAMARRA, Iraq - Insurgents posing as police destroyed the golden dome of one of
Iraq's holiest Shiite shrines Wednesday, setting off an unprecendented spasm of sectarian violence. Angry crowds thronged the streets, militiamen attacked Sunni mosques, and at least 19 people were killed.

With the gleaming dome of the 1,200-year-old Askariya shrine reduced to rubble, some Shiites lashed out at the United States as partly to blame.

The violence — many of the 90 attacks on Sunni mosques were carried out by Shiite militias — seemed to push Iraq closer to all-out civil war than at any point in the three years since the U.S.-led overthrow of
Saddam Hussein.

Many leaders called for calm. "We are facing a major conspiracy that is targeting Iraq's unity," said President Jalal Talabani, a Kurd. "We should all stand hand in hand to prevent the danger of a civil war."

President Bush pledged American help to restore the mosque after the bombing north of Baghdad, which dealt a severe blow to U.S. efforts to keep Iraq from falling deeper into sectarian violence.

"The terrorists in Iraq have again proven that they are enemies of all faiths and of all humanity," Bush said. "The world must stand united against them, and steadfast behind the people of Iraq."

British Prime Minister
Tony Blair also condemned the bombing and pledged funds toward the shrine's reconstruction.

U.S. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad and the top American commander in Iraq, Gen. George Casey, called the attack a deliberate attempt to foment sectarian strife and warned it was a "critical moment for Iraq."

No one was reported injured in the bombing of the shrine in Samarra.

But at least 19 people, including three Sunni clerics, were killed in the reprisal attacks that followed, mainly in Baghdad and predominantly Shiite provinces to the south, according to the Iraqi Islamic Party, the country's largest Sunni political group.

Many of the attacks appeared to have been carried out by Shiite militias that the United States wants to see disbanded.

In predominantly Shiite Basra, police said militiamen broke into a prison, hauled out 12 inmates, including two Egyptians, two Tunisians, a Libyan, a Saudi and a Turk, and shot them dead in reprisal for the shrine attack.

Major Sunni groups joined in condemning the attack, and a leading Sunni politician, Tariq al-Hashimi, urged clerics and politicians to calm the situation "before it spins out of control."

The country's top Shiite cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, sent instructions to his followers forbidding attacks on Sunni mosques, and called for seven days of mourning.

But he hinted, as did Vice President Adil Abdul-Mahdi, that religious militias could be given a bigger security role if the government cannot protecting holy shrines — an ominous sign of the Shiite reaction ahead.

Both Sunnis and the United States fear the rise of such militias, which the disaffected minority views as little more than death squads. American commanders believe they undercut efforts to create a professional Iraqi army and police force — a key step toward the eventual drawdown of U.S. forces.

Some Shiite political leaders already were angry with the United States because it has urged them to form a government in which nonsectarian figures control the army and police. Khalilzad warned this week — in a statement clearly aimed at Shiite hard-liners — that America would not continue to support institutions run by sectarian groups with links to armed militias.

One top Shiite political leader accused Khalilzad of sharing blame for the attack on the shrine in Samarra.

"These statements ... gave green lights to terrorist groups. And, therefore, he shares in part of the responsibility," said Abdul-Aziz al-Hakim, head of the Supreme Council for the Islamic Revolution in Iraq and the former commander of its militia.

The interior minister, who controls the security forces that Sunnis accuse of widepsread abuses, is a member of al-Hakim's party.

The new tensions came as Iraq's various factions have been struggling to assemble a government after the Dec. 15 parliamentary elections.

The Shiite fury sparked by Wednesday's bombings — the third major attack against Shiite targets in as many days — raised the likelihood that Shiite religious parties will reject U.S. demands to curb militias.

The Askariya shrine, also known as the Golden Mosque, contains the tombs of two revered Shiite imams, who are considered by Shiites to be among the successors of the Prophet Muhammad.

No group claimed responsibility for the 6:55 a.m. assault on the shrine in Samarra, a mostly Sunni Arab city 60 miles north of Baghdad, carried out by four insurgents disguised as police. But suspicion fell on Sunni extremist groups.

The top of the dome, which was completed in 1905, collapsed into a crumbly mess, leaving just traces of gold showing through the rubble. Part of the shrine's tiled northern wall also was damaged.

Thousands of demonstrators crowded near the wrecked shrine, and Iraqis picked through the debris, pulling out artifacts and copies of the Muslim holy book, the Quran, which they waved, along with Iraqi flags.

"This criminal act aims at igniting civil strife," said Mahmoud al-Samarie, a 28-year-old builder. "We demand an investigation so that the criminals who did this be punished. If the government fails to do so, then we will take up arms and chase the people behind this attack."

U.S. and Iraqi forces surrounded the Samarra shrine and searched nearby houses. About 500 soldiers were sent to Sunni neighborhoods in Baghdad to prevent clashes.

On Al-Jazeera television, Sunni politician Adnan al-Dulaimi pledged that the violence would not discourage Sunnis from working to form a new government and claimed the Samarra attack was not planned by Sunni insurgents but "a foreign hand aiming to create differences among Iraqis."

National Security Adviser Mouwafak al-Rubaie said 10 people were detained for questioning about the bombing. The Interior Ministry put the number at nine and said they included five guards.

In the hours after the attack, more than 90 Sunni mosques were attacked with automatic rifles and rocket-propelled grenades, burned or taken over by Shiites, the Iraqi Islamic Party said.

Large protests erupted in Shiite parts of Baghdad and in cities throughout the Shiite heartland to the south. In Basra, Shiite militants traded rifle and rocket-propelled grenade fire with guards at the office of the Iraqi Islamic Party. Smoke billowed from the building.

Shiite protesters later set fire to a Sunni shrine containing the seventh century tomb of Talha bin Obeid-Allah, a companion of Muhammad, on the outskirts of Basra.

Protesters in Najaf, Kut and Baghdad's Shiite slum of Sadr City also marched through the streets by the thousands, many shouting anti-American and anti-Israeli slogans and burning those nations' flags.

Tradition says the Askariya shrine, which draws Shiite pilgrims from throughout the Islamic world, is near the place where the last of the 12 Shiite imams, Mohammed al-Mahdi, disappeared. Al-Mahdi was the son and grandson of the two imams buried in the Askariya shrine. Shiites believe he is still alive and will return to restore justice to humanity.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/iraq;_ylt=Ah5ALOU8fXZKYfF2tT9JWYOs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

disgusting, very very disgusting
no wonder everybody is able to keep taking shots at Islam, we cant even get along within ourselves
i dont get how anybody can do such a thing, bombing such a holy site for the Shias like that
and then to make matters worse, sum Shias shoot up 90 Sunni mosques

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Mosque Attack Pushes Iraq Toward Civil War
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 06:27:54 PM »

pictures of the shrine that was bombed

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 02:22:12 AM »
"Divide & Conquer"
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 02:25:41 AM »
not cool

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 05:19:27 AM »
"Divide & Conquer"
i really don't think the US of its allies were behind this, it just makes their whole situation worse when they're trying to get out.... i think it will be very hard for iraq to move on from this

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 02:44:54 PM »
further proves that the whole war in iraq was a failure to this point. way to 'libirate' the people by creating a situation that leads to a civil war. i guess some people dont understand that the transition from a dictatorship to a democracy isnt always very smooth, especially when u are trying to form a religious government.

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 03:03:26 PM »
"Divide & Conquer"

Yeah, the US really wants a Civil War and the anarchy that would ensure in Iraq.

You are a fucking idiot.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 03:49:58 PM »
i really don't think the US of its allies were behind this, it just makes their whole situation worse when they're trying to get out.... i think it will be very hard for iraq to move on from this

LOL at you saying "when they're trying to get out."  LOL... nobody is trying to get out, America is biulding permanent military installations in Iraq as we speak.  You could be a smart guy, but you really need to learn to read between the lines and see the big picture.  The Neo-con American regime has no interest in "getting out".  That is just polotics.  The grand scheme in Iraq is for them to have a permanent foothold in the region, which is exactly why the US government infact wants, and is creating a civil war in Iraq to justify their occupation in the region.

You just said it yourself.  You said that a civil war would make it harder for the occupation forces to live Iraq. This is exactly the idea.   It serves omnibus purposes.  A civil war will also lead Iraqi people to shoot at eachother and take the X's off the backs of US soldiers.  It's the oldest trick in the book, divide and conquer.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 03:52:35 PM by Allah's Slave: Abdul-Infinite »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 03:52:25 PM »
how easy is it to plant some bombs? no self respecting sunni would do something like this
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 04:35:03 PM »

LOL at you saying "when they're trying to get out."  LOL... nobody is trying to get out, America is biulding permanent military installations in Iraq as we speak.  You could be a smart guy, but you really need to learn to read between the lines and see the big picture.  The Neo-con American regime has no interest in "getting out".  That is just polotics.  The grand scheme in Iraq is for them to have a permanent foothold in the region, which is exactly why the US government infact wants, and is creating a civil war in Iraq to justify their occupation in the region.

You just said it yourself.  You said that a civil war would make it harder for the occupation forces to live Iraq. This is exactly the idea.   It serves omnibus purposes.  A civil war will also lead Iraqi people to shoot at eachother and take the X's off the backs of US soldiers.  It's the oldest trick in the book, divide and conquer.

and what makes u think they'll be staying there after the next presidential elections?

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 04:48:15 PM »

they may want stategic bases there but i garentee you they don't want 140k troops there perminatly, if this is all about oil then the instability is counter productive, Iraq is producing way less than it did under sadam even when were sanctions in place, i always thought the idea was to bring more oil supply into the markets to bring the price down....and the US already has bases in the region in fact there are few countries in which they don't have bases!

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 04:49:01 PM »

and what makes u think they'll be staying there after the next presidential elections?

i think he meant the troops mite note be there but the US will have a huge influence on the Iraqi government

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 04:57:17 PM »

they may want stategic bases there but i garentee you they don't want 140k troops there perminatly, if this is all about oil then the instability is counter productive, Iraq is producing way less than it did under sadam even when were sanctions in place, i always thought the idea was to bring more oil supply into the markets to bring the price down....and the US already has bases in the region in fact there are few countries in which they don't have bases!

As you hinted towards, America has bases and military operations in 100 countries around the world.  But Iraq is more than just another base.  Like I said, they want a permanent foothold in the region, and when I say region I mean the greater middle east.  Because they are planning on expanding their influence in the middle east and they want Iraq to be their headquarters in the greater middle east.  So this is not just another military base or military operation for the United States, this is part of a grand plan; so expect the occupation to rage on.

As for instability causing a dip in oil revenue, maybe, maybe not.  Maybe on the books, when Iraqi oil ministers look at their revenue's the profits appear to be down, but the US government is getting what they want, openly or in secret, they are getting what they want. 

...If you don't believe what I'm telling you then time will tell, it has already told the story, but some people never learn.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 04:59:20 PM by Allah's Slave: Abdul-Infinite »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 05:38:33 PM »
"Divide & Conquer"

Yeah, the US really wants a Civil War and the anarchy that would ensure in Iraq.

You are a fucking idiot.

Listen up you small dick Polack... you don't know jackshit except what Bill O'Reilly tells your faggot ass to think... you can bring down your dad's Polish flag and put up an American one but you'll still be nothing but a worthless piece of shit Polack who jacks off to white guys in porn.

Anyways... check up on what the British did in the past.. aka their colonial policy, including in Iraq... then read the RAND Corporation report in its entirety... you fucking tool
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 04:53:17 AM »
"Divide & Conquer"

You are a fucking idiot.

Listen up you small dick Polack... you don't know jackshit except what Bill O'Reilly tells your faggot ass to think... you can bring down your dad's Polish flag and put up an American one but you'll still be nothing but a worthless piece of shit Polack who jacks off to white guys in porn.

Anyways... check up on what the British did in the past.. aka their colonial policy, including in Iraq... then read the RAND Corporation report in its entirety... you fucking tool

lmao, i agree with that
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 04:54:56 AM by Bad Boy Killer »