Author Topic: Arabs gonna control U.S. ports  (Read 433 times)

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Arabs gonna control U.S. ports
« on: February 24, 2006, 02:52:19 AM »
The United Arab Emirates firm set to take control of six US ports is to delay part of the deal after objections from leading US lawmakers.
Dubai Ports World had been set to take over ports from New York to New Orleans by buying UK firm P&O.

But some lawmakers, both Democrat and Republican, warn the deal will make the US more vulnerable to terrorism.

The White House has threatened to veto any law seeking to block the agreement, but said it could accept some delays.

DP World's decision to delay the US part of the P&O takeover will be welcomed by the White House, the BBC's James Coomarasamy in Washington says.

Even the threat of a presidential veto has failed to quell the chorus of opposition and at this point a cooling-off period is probably the best George W Bush could have hoped for, he adds.

A White House spokesman had earlier said that although there might be flexibility over timing, the deal should go ahead.

"The safeguards are in place and the president believes it should be allowed to move forward," Scott McClellan said.

"We also recognise that members of Congress want some additional information and we are glad to provide them with that information," he added.

The more people learn about the transaction, the more they'll be comforted that the ports will be secure

George W Bush

Six of the largest US ports - New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Baltimore, New Orleans and Miami - are currently run by British ports and shipping firm P&O, which has agreed a $6.8bn (£3.9bn) takeover by DP World.

'Sense of calm'

After a cabinet meeting on Thursday, President Bush said: "People don't need to worry about security".

"This wouldn't be going forward if we were not certain that our ports would be secure," he added.

The president again stressed the UAE was an important partner in the US-led war on terrorism.

He said briefings with congressmen were "bringing a sense of calm to this issue".

The deal has angered some senior lawmakers.

Bill Frist, leader of the Republican Party in the Senate, said he would introduce a law to block the deal if the government did not delay it so that an investigation could be held.

Critics fear an increased risk of terrorist attacks, pointing out that the UAE was the home of two of the hijackers involved in the 11 September 2001 attacks.

The president of the Arab American Institute, James Zogby, has described some of the language being used against the deal as "shameful and irresponsible".

President Bush has himself suggested that some criticism of the deal is racist in nature.

-----------

LOL... yo CWalker how you feel about a buncha towelheads controlling these huge ports... you think they might let a lil sumthin sumthin slip by?
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

BadBoyKILLA333

• Lil Geezy
Re: Arabs gonna control U.S. ports
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 08:08:16 PM »
bush is a fuckin idiot

h cottie is bac-tive?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The trains are NY veins, the city's a Psycho
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 08:10:58 PM »
LMAO @ the white house approving the agreement before bush even knew about it!!!

that proves washington is completely fucked up from top 2 bottom

I WENT TO STAPLES CENTER WEN I WAS WALKING MY GOLD RAG FALL OF MY POCKET AND THE GROUND WAS WET TO AND DIRTY MY RAG GOT DIRTY A LIL BIT PULL IT IT BACK AND MAKE SURE IT WOULD NOT DROP AGAIN ROCKING MY RAG AGAIN HOMIE 8

h cottie is bac-tive?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The trains are NY veins, the city's a Psycho
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 08:13:49 PM »
oh yeah and if somethin happens because of the ports (godforbid)...bush will get impeached  :drool:

I WENT TO STAPLES CENTER WEN I WAS WALKING MY GOLD RAG FALL OF MY POCKET AND THE GROUND WAS WET TO AND DIRTY MY RAG GOT DIRTY A LIL BIT PULL IT IT BACK AND MAKE SURE IT WOULD NOT DROP AGAIN ROCKING MY RAG AGAIN HOMIE 8

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 04:20:54 AM »

Alex Jones had Wayne Burtlett (economic advisor to Reagan) he said the true figure of debt in total is $66 trillion, and that the arabs own so much of the dollars that this in effect is america defaulting on their debt, consequently they get given assets because they cant afford the repayments. He also said that very soon america is going to wake up to find every stock market has crashed, potentially plunging america into not just a recession but a depression.

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 04:23:52 AM »
??? these are british assets not american and their not even public ones

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 04:42:46 AM »

What claim does britain have to these assets? I wasnt aware of this

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 05:55:47 AM »
uhhh P&O own them!! not the US government or even the british one hence they are not public assets, they are the private assets of the british firm P&O but they will soon by owned by arabs but there is no problem in that....

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 06:08:20 AM »

Yeah apologies I hadnt read the initial thread properly.

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 06:58:07 AM »
this is not a big deal.  the coast guard oversees security over the ports, they do so under british control and will continue to do so under uae control.  all these "open-minded" democrats who are trashing this deal just because the uae is an arab country should be ashamed of themselves, imho.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 07:01:24 AM by nibs »
"a four letter word is going out to every single enemy" - kam

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 07:09:05 AM »
this article talks more about security:

Difficult to Discern Who Runs U.S. Ports

Who's in charge of security at U.S. seaports?

There's no simple answer to that question - a critical part of the debate over the takeover of major port operations by a United Arab Emirates company

All seaports are different and the biggest ones are complex. Responsibility for security is spread among government agencies: the Coast Guard, Customs and Border Protection, terminal operators and state and local port authorities.

Customs and Border Protection oversees the cargo that arrives in more than 20,000 shipping containers that pass through U.S. ports daily.

The Coast Guard approves security plans for 10,000 ships and 5,000 port facilities. Since July 1, 2004, the Coast Guard has been responsible for making sure those plans are carried out.

The nation's larger ports have dozens of separate facilities within them, including oil refineries, warehouses, fuel farms, power plants and factories.

The terminal operator is responsible for security at its own terminal and the area within the port where cargo is loaded, unloaded or transferred, according to the Homeland Security Department.

UAE-based Dubai Ports World would operate some of the terminals at a half-dozen of the nation's largest seaports: Baltimore, Philadelphia, Miami, New Orleans, Houston, and Newark, N.J.

"They're required to have a security plan," said Dennis Murphy, former Customs port director at the Port of Norfolk and former Homeland Security spokesman.

The plan has to include security measures such as lighting, fencing, locks and background checks on employees, he said.

"They have to know who the people are who they're hiring," Murphy said.

A fact sheet from the Homeland Security Department said that the "people working on the docks" and security personnel would not change under the pending deal.

Murphy said the entire supply chain is scrutinized by a number of people - including the buyer, the seller and the shipper along with federal officials - who want to make sure cargo moves where it's supposed to move.

"It's an elaborate ballet of information and machinery," he said. "You don't mess around. If you divert a container here and there, there are investigators who will crawl all over your personal life if they think anything is hinky."

Many port security initiatives since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks have been the result of laws passed by Congress.

It was the National Maritime Transportation Security Act, passed in November 2002, that put the Coast Guard in charge of tightening port security.

"a four letter word is going out to every single enemy" - kam

Sikotic™

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 10:07:06 AM »
Bush just owned CWalker

CREAM get the money...dolla dolla bill y'all.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

SHKOOKOO

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 10:34:25 AM »
they hatin on it just cuz the uai is an arab country

Suga Foot

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 04:22:37 PM »
There's a Vancouver port that will be included in the deal.  Nobody here seems to give a shit.  They say less than 5% of the containers get checked anyway, and half the longshoremen are in organized crime groups.  I don't think it could get worse lol.