Author Topic: The East Coast has better rappers, but the west...  (Read 1621 times)

ToNe1904

Re: The East Coast has better rappers, but the wes
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2002, 08:21:11 PM »
Besides Public Enemy, Wu Tang is probably the most influential group or artist period from the east coast......Matter of fact, I might even go as far to say that the Wu are even more influential than Public Enemy was. 36 Chambers [along with Illmatic] brought back that raw, gritty style to hip hop, and it pratically saved east coast hip hop from being burried alive during the "chronic/doggystyle" era. "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx" was perhaps yet even MORE influential. Cuban Linx started ALL the alias trends we see in hip hop today [nobody started using aliases until after Tony Starks and Lex Diamonds], and it was also the album that started all the flossing and ice rockin' that everyone does today. Only difference is, Cuban Linx isnt watered down commerical garbage like alot of todays artists albums are. In addittion to that, Rae and Ghost used that album to start a blueprint which a ton of other artists [including Jay Z with Reasonable Doubt and Biggie with Life After Death] would use. Cuban Linx started all the mafiaso/don trends we see in hip hop nowadays. Illmatic and The Infamous are also very influential, but I think 36 Chambers and Cuban Linx might be two of the most influential albums EVER made. But then again, so is the Chronic and All Eyez On Me.........

but see, thas exactly what im sayin. those albums influence rap on tha eastcoast. i dont see their influence out here. Chronic n Doggystyle's influence stretched across tha whole country. I see muhafuckaz in NY wit 64 impalaz on hydroz lol. I felt Wu...was actually one of tha least influencial groups out of tha ones u names. cus their influence stuck SOLELY to Eastcoast rappers. I mean itz all good, i respect most of tha muhafuckaz u names as rappers. But i hate tha biasness there is. Tha west has contributed JUST as much if not more IMO to rap music as tha east.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2002, 08:28:38 PM »
^^^Naw man, the Wu influenced not only every part of the country, but in many parts of the WORLD. Wu was the first to start the trend of having your own brand of clothes [Wu-wear] for hip hop, and like I said before, they brought all the aliases and don/mafiaso trends that we see in hip hop today. After "Cuban Linx" came out, everyone started using their name with an "aka so & so"..... Trust me, their influence goes faaaaaar beyond the east coast. I live in Cali, and grant it, they arent as popular out here as in NY, but I still see plenty of cats rockin' Wu Wear and bumpin them in their stereos......

I do agree with you about the biases though. I hate east coast dickriders. Actually, most of my fav type of hip hop is east coast hip hop, but im from Cali, and I listen to ALL types of hip hop, though many of my fav artists are from the east. My fav artist ever, though, is a west coast artist, and he went by the name of Tupac Shakur last I saw.
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

ToNe1904

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2002, 08:54:59 PM »
well, i felt like i was seein tha Don/Mafioso shit goin on WAY before that album u talkin bout. i mean, cuban linx wasnt even a big deal out here when it came out. I hardly know anyone who got tha CD back in tha day. and wu tang has neva been a big ticket out here really. Im in San Diego. n shit, they used to come down hea on a regular basis...n only perform in a club. neva in an arena unless it was on sumbody elses tour. and shit...now....i doubt theyd even sell out a club LOL. Theyve had influence for sure, but i dont think anywhere NEAR tha same level as tha other rappers i named. Or even other rappers YOU named. Ill give them this, they did put tha rap focus on tha east....after it had been on tha west for a few yrs. but i jus dont see any long term effects theyve had on tha game. Shit, i bought that 36 chambers bullshit back in tha day lol. i couldnt stand it when i bought...cept for maybe 3 songs. im pretty sure its in mah room sumwhere wit about an inch worth of dust on it lol.

techniec

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2002, 02:30:12 AM »
yo about this alias talk, wasnt snoop callin himself eastwood back in like 92?

S.G.V.

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2002, 08:35:33 AM »

The only ones you listed that are classic are The Chronic, Doggystyle, AEOM, Amerikkkaz Most Wanted, The Predator, Makaveli, Death Certificate, and Straight Outta Compton.

The rest of those albums you listed are NOT classic. I think you're throwing the word classic around too much, or you dont know the criteria of what makes a album a true classic or not.

Trust me, the east has it on lock, end of discussion. The East has probably made more classic albums than the west, south, and midwest COMBINED. Hip hop started on the east, and that is why it is lyrically and musically more prominant than on the west or south.

If I'm throwing the word around loosely then OBVIOUSLY you are, all the albums I listed we LANDMARK albums.....the Too Short and E-40 albums opened the door for the bay, the Lynch and X-Raided albums introduced us to Sacramento, the N.W.A. and Ice Cube albums set the standards for the West Coast, and if u dont think Operation Stackola by the Luniz was not a classic bay album then youre not right in the head....the Mack 10 album...well that was a great album, he was at his peak there, his other albums were not near as good....im too tired to explain the rest....maybe later

SpawntaneusC

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I pledge aligence 2 the West
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2002, 08:51:19 AM »
why iz the topic changed?
There's a new threat on the west and its about to hit Like the Quake in 94......

Kalloge Entertainment

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2002, 09:47:33 AM »
yo about this alias talk, wasnt snoop callin himself eastwood back in like 92?

That is exactly what I was thinking.

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2002, 12:34:46 PM »

If I'm throwing the word around loosely then OBVIOUSLY you are, all the albums I listed we LANDMARK albums.....the Too Short and E-40 albums opened the door for the bay, the Lynch and X-Raided albums introduced us to Sacramento, the N.W.A. and Ice Cube albums set the standards for the West Coast, and if u dont think Operation Stackola by the Luniz was not a classic bay album then youre not right in the head....the Mack 10 album...well that was a great album, he was at his peak there, his other albums were not near as good....im too tired to explain the rest....maybe later

I dont maybe its just me, but when I hear people talking about "classic" albums, I dont hear people mentioning X-raided albums, Brother Lynch albums, or Operation Stackola. When I hear people talk about classic albums, its usually the same ones: Chronic, 36 Chambers, Illmatic, All Eyez On Me, Ready To Die, Cuban Linx, Aquemini, E.1999 Eternal, Doggystyle, Amerikkkaz Most Wanted, Midnight Marauders, etc etc.....now, THOSE are albums that are considered classic by a general consensus. Brother Lynch Hung, X-Raided, and such are only considered classic by their respective fanbases, not hip hop fans in general.

As for the alias thing, Snoop may have been calling himself Eastwood in 92', but if you ask almost any rapper in the industry today who started all the alias trends, I can almost guarantee you their answer will be "Raekwon and Ghostface, with the Cuban Linx album"........

S.G.V.

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2002, 02:52:53 PM »

I dont maybe its just me, but when I hear people talking about "classic" albums, I dont hear people mentioning X-raided albums, Brother Lynch albums, or Operation Stackola. When I hear people talk about classic albums, its usually the same ones: Chronic, 36 Chambers, Illmatic, All Eyez On Me, Ready To Die, Cuban Linx, Aquemini, E.1999 Eternal, Doggystyle, Amerikkkaz Most Wanted, Midnight Marauders, etc etc.....now, THOSE are albums that are considered classic by a general consensus. Brother Lynch Hung, X-Raided, and such are only considered classic by their respective fanbases, not hip hop fans in general.

As for the alias thing, Snoop may have been calling himself Eastwood in 92', but if you ask almost any rapper in the industry today who started all the alias trends, I can almost guarantee you their answer will be "Raekwon and Ghostface, with the Cuban Linx album"........

you dont hear it cuz theyre not really major label relases...sure noo trybe was distributed by virgin....but virgin never pushed their album....x-raideds and brotha lynchs albums are classic...listen to them....then you will change your mind....cuz to be a classic the album doesnt have to be a major label release...it just has to be good...so get off ur commercial mind frame

AxleF

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2002, 06:20:03 PM »
has better albums, production, diss songs and are generally less mainstream

no particular reason why im venting off, its just that i hate east coast dick suckers just as much as white female rap
fans....well almost

the west has much realer cats, a better independant scene, better beefs and diss songs, and better producers

I feel you 100%  I respect the East from the fact that.. it all started there.  No doubt, The East has planted a big assss foot in hip hop history, NO DOUBT!  But the one thing they haven't done is take chances.  (I'll explain.. this is just IMO)

It just seems to me that at a certain point, The East just stopped being creative and settled for this new age Jiggy image.. which, no doubt, sells records.  But it doesn't mean they've grown musically.  It just means that they've settled for record sales.  Which.. I can't knock.  I mean, hey..  We would all die to be able to live like any of them.  (If only we could bring in that type of cash working 9 to 5.)  I'll stick to being a fan.

But, like you waz sayin dogg.. the West has a much better independant scene and devoted fans who support it.  That's what makes them (as you say) "REAL!"  

West Coast artists can't help but relate to their audiance because they sale records at (what I call) "Ground Zero.  Meaning, out they fuckin trunks, at any and every show (even they homies,) when ever, where ever, what ever.. On the concrete... in they old beat up ass Pumas.. they gonna sell these records and thats why I love the Independant hustle game.  That's E 40, Thats JT, Thats Too $hort, etc.  It's complete independance and creative control.  That alone (work ethic) deserve's some fuckin respect.

See.. areas like The Bay aint got no major distributor, calling the retail shops, re-stocking shelf space when they run out.  (The Warehouse and Tower, etc.)  It's usually the artist drive and dedication that moves units and re-stocks shelf space.

Only the core fans check for these albums which makes them even more important then most major releases, even if the major release is dope.  I.E. I take more pride and value in my OG Get Low Records collection then my Deathrow or DPGC collection.  It's just that JT worked hard, got his shit stollen and found a way to keep ridin.

But the East lacks this type fan base and hustle.  They lack fans who hold them to standards so in turn their fans take what ever shit they seem to shovel.  The East has always been about Big Label hustle and has never really recognize the little guys.  Sure, in some cases, but not many.  They've just recently begun to explore the benefits of working independantly.  But there are many more success stories over here on the West.  

Producers, and diss songs I would have say are a toss up.. a matter of opinon.  But as far as realness, and independant hustle.. The WEST GOT IT LOCKED!!!
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure..
~Theodore Roosevelt

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2002, 06:45:53 PM »

alright alright i feel what you sayin, but its my opinion right, and why you gotta say all i listen to from the east, is dmx and puffy, right? i mean that wasnt needed right?

peace

i never said that's what you listen to i said that's all you seem to obviously been exposed to, so yes it was very needed, and again expand your horizons more and take a music apreciation class or 2 and see if you say those same things...if you don't that's cool, nothing wrong with being happy in your ignorance (not a diss)

as for all this influecial stuff that hellrazor and tone are arguing about

all that needs to be said is

PE and NWA are the 2 most influential groups period

like rock head will tell you about black sabath in the rock world "everything your listening to now is sabath"

same can be aplied with PE and NWA, everything your hearing in rap in every genre of it is PE and NWA to a degree, hell you can even spread that into modern rock with those too

wu tang gets their dues but they're like the NY Knicks franchise (historically) compared to the Celtics franchise histor and Lakers

[woa that was a good comparison :)]

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Nino_Brown

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2002, 03:16:52 AM »

Tell me one WestCoast album (Appart from a Dr Dre CD) that can compete with the East top dogs, Nas, Jay Z, Ja Rule, Jay-Z / R Kelly LP, State Property , Mobb Deep, , Ruff Ryders,Kiss, Eve, Joe, P-Diddy, P-Diddy , P-Diddy , P-Diddy , Shyne, KRS One, RAWKUS crew, REDMAN!!!

Camron soon!!!

I cant see one cat out West with an album released recently that can compare to brand nubians GRAND PUBA last album, GHOSTFACE, G Dep, Kool G Rap

The list goes on........ NY has Hip Hop on LOCK, always has/always will.

Knocturnal album was nothing more than cool, Baby S dissapointed me, Warren G was poor compared to his older shit, Nate Dogg still wasnt great, DJ QUIK WILL BE THE SHIT CAUSE HE@S THE GREATEST, Mack 10 was good....

dpgc 4life homieshahaha

S.G.V.

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2002, 10:22:07 AM »

Tell me one WestCoast album (Appart from a Dr Dre CD) that can compete with the East top dogs, Nas, Jay Z, Ja Rule, Jay-Z / R Kelly LP, State Property , Mobb Deep, , Ruff Ryders,Kiss, Eve, Joe, P-Diddy, P-Diddy , P-Diddy , P-Diddy , Shyne, KRS One, RAWKUS crew, REDMAN!!!

Camron soon!!!

I cant see one cat out West with an album released recently that can compare to brand nubians GRAND PUBA last album, GHOSTFACE, G Dep, Kool G Rap

The list goes on........ NY has Hip Hop on LOCK, always has/always will.

Knocturnal album was nothing more than cool, Baby S dissapointed me, Warren G was poor compared to his older shit, Nate Dogg still wasnt great, DJ QUIK WILL BE THE SHIT CAUSE HE@S THE GREATEST, Mack 10 was good....

dpgc 4life homieshahaha

every album sucked this year except for a few...the best album of the year was CRIP HOP by Jayo Felony....not only was it a SOLID album but he ripped but Gay-z and Cac-a-fella....hell even snoop felt the wrath....ok so now u wanna talk about "big dogs" well ill run down the list of the west coast big dogs who kill the east coast.....Tray Deee, King T, DJ Quik, Xzibit, Freestyle Fellowship, Medusa, Ms Marvaless, Brotha Lynch, X-Raided, E-40, Jayo, Snoop, Dre, Kurupt, Daz, Too Short, Yukmouth, Suga Free, W.C., Ice Cube, MC Ren, Booyaa Tribe, Ras Kass, Crooked I....thats just a very short list....so all u east coast dick riders should know....U CANNOT CONTEST WITH THE WEST COAST!!!!

ToNe1904

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2002, 10:34:41 AM »

every album sucked this year except for a few...the best album of the year was CRIP HOP by Jayo Felony....not only was it a SOLID album but he ripped but Gay-z and Cac-a-fella....hell even snoop felt the wrath....ok so now u wanna talk about "big dogs" well ill run down the list of the west coast big dogs who kill the east coast.....Tray Deee, King T, DJ Quik, Xzibit, Freestyle Fellowship, Medusa, Ms Marvaless, Brotha Lynch, X-Raided, E-40, Jayo, Snoop, Dre, Kurupt, Daz, Too Short, Yukmouth, Suga Free, W.C., Ice Cube, MC Ren, Booyaa Tribe, Ras Kass, Crooked I....thats just a very short list....so all u east coast dick riders should know....U CANNOT CONTEST WITH THE WEST COAST!!!!

FINALLY sumbody givin that Album sum fukin propz on this board. (jayo) EASILY tha most underrated album of tha year. And as for tha East. I dont see them as havin better MC's really. They jus talk about a different subject then Westcoast MC's. that doesnt make them betta. It all dependz on HOW u bring that subject (that yur talkin bout) to tha viewers. So for sayin tha east has hip hop on lock, and that they alwayz will...makes NO sense whatsoeva. Cus for a long while they WERENT on top. Tha east doesnt have "hip hop" on lock...they got "hip hop media" on lock.

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2002, 12:00:24 PM »
Look, im born and raised in Cali, and I love west coast hip hop, but anyone in their right mind knows that the east historically will ALWAYZ be the prominant region for TRUE hip hop. The west has its great lyricists, but the great lyricists that reside in the east is endless: Nas, Kool G Rap, almost the entire Wu Tang, Q tip, Biggie, Chuck D, Guru, KRS One, Rakim, and Redman to name just a few. Sorry, but the west coast aint fuckin with that, and this is coming from someone BORN AND RAISED on the west coast. Now, the greatest MC ever is a west coast MC [last I saw, his name was 2Pac], but if you wanna go MC for MC, the east is easily superior. The reason why the east is better is because they care more about the artform than most of the west coast rappers do. Sure, the east coast has its wack rappers {Ja Rule, Puffy, etc etc], but all the MC's I listed above among others are more creative and lyrically better than the majority of west coast MC's.