Author Topic: Rappers that get better/worse with age?  (Read 616 times)

Eihtball

Re: Rappers that get better/worse with age?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2006, 06:34:22 PM »
Anybody who says Snoop has gotten worse needs a serious chin-checkin.  Just because he's not making the kinda music YOU want to hear (early/mid-90s' G-Funk) doesn't mean he's gotten worse.  Snoop's been pushing artistic boundaries and maintaining his grip on hip-hop for almost 15 years now, and his last album actually produced his biggest hit single ever.  So yeah, I'd say that definitely makes him better with age, because even if ya'll think he fell off, there's 2 million people out there that made "Drop It Like It's Hot" a smash hit, and they'd all like to disagree with you.

ANY muh'fucka that's still putting out successful albums has almost certainly gotten better with age...Scarface (15 years in the game and still going), Nas (10 years in the game and going), etc.  As for Daz, Kurupt, Eiht, Spice-1, etc...face it, all those cats are washed up at this point.  If they weren't, people other than ya'll would still be checking for their shit, and they wouldn't be putting out their records on indie labels and trying to earn enough just to eat.  Although with Daz, I'll at least give him a chance and see if he can reinvent himself and sound relevent again when his So So Def album comes out.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 06:41:26 PM »
Anybody who says Snoop has gotten worse needs a serious chin-checkin.  Just because he's not making the kinda music YOU want to hear (early/mid-90s' G-Funk) doesn't mean he's gotten worse.  Snoop's been pushing artistic boundaries and maintaining his grip on hip-hop for almost 15 years now, and his last album actually produced his biggest hit single ever.  So yeah, I'd say that definitely makes him better with age, because even if ya'll think he fell off, there's 2 million people out there that made "Drop It Like It's Hot" a smash hit, and they'd all like to disagree with you.

ANY muh'fucka that's still putting out successful albums has almost certainly gotten better with age...Scarface (15 years in the game and still going), Nas (10 years in the game and going), etc.  As for Daz, Kurupt, Eiht, Spice-1, etc...face it, all those cats are washed up at this point.  If they weren't, people other than ya'll would still be checking for their shit, and they wouldn't be putting out their records on indie labels and trying to earn enough just to eat.  Although with Daz, I'll at least give him a chance and see if he can reinvent himself and sound relevent again when his So So Def album comes out.
So true.

eKardz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I bleed red white and blue, I am a New York Ranger
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2006, 06:42:25 PM »

i was going to say snoop got worse, but actually i agree with you.  he keeps coming out with fresh new stuff, it might not be what i like, but snoop is still on top in the game.  good call.

truedupbluedup

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2006, 08:37:32 PM »
I dont care about who has gotten worse, but the guys that have gotten better are...

Game (From the first aftermath mixtape he was on until now) 100 bars- 300 bars HE IS WAY BETTEr
yukmouth
Havoc (Gotten better every year and outshines P now)
Jayo Felony

$do11a biLL$

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2006, 08:46:25 PM »
Definetly LL Cool J. I was switching through channels today and caught his new video with JLo and its almost like "Laffy Taffy" bad.

Another one that came to my mind was The Beastie Boys. They can never be like they were when they were on Def Jam. They still come out with tight music but they rap about fuckin Sasquatch and robots and shit like that too much now.

C-BLUE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • evil don't die
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 12:01:58 AM »
eiht is completely fuccin washed up. he came from bad to fuccin horrible.and daz he was never a rapper..the nigga sounds like a neuro patient on wax. so daz sticc to producin and stop pretendin you a Crip. Snoop..the nigga could flow under a Dre beat but he is shit without it. He came from aspirin gangsta rapper to a freaky ass commercialized pop artist.

LL Cool J = washed up
Yukmouth = just wacc
The Game = a fake, no street credibility
Jayo Felony = his old shit is raw, but he's mislead now
Kurupt = good flow for a studio gangsta
Spice 1 = tight lyricist, but the recent beats are wacc
Ice Cube = tight lyricist. beats are tight. but never been a real G.

westkoastanostra

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2006, 01:09:54 AM »
^^^yea but have u checked out his mixtape he put out in 04...that shit was fire!

na i never heard about tht, what is it?

its called "westcoast heavy hitter" i think he stepped his game up right there....

WestCoasta

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2006, 01:26:01 AM »
I think Tha Alkaholiks got worse

mauzip

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2006, 03:35:39 AM »

i was going to say snoop got worse, but actually i agree with you.  he keeps coming out with fresh new stuff, it might not be what i like, but snoop is still on top in the game.  good call.

mauzip

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2006, 03:45:56 AM »
a couple that aren't mentioned yet:

better:
Lil Wayne -> undeniable
Kanye West -> undeniable
Bun B -> his guest features the past 2 years have all been fire, but his album was disappointing

worse:
Eminem -> undeniable
Ja Rule -> he released a handful good tracks, which I really liked, but Venni Vetti Vecci was definately his prime as far quality music goes
The D.O.C. -> I hate to say it, but that car accident really did him no good :(
Xzibit -> his first three albums are dope as fuck, whereas his last two albums weren't even worth buying

evan the dude

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Alaskan Connection
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2006, 03:51:07 AM »
eiht is completely fuccin washed up. he came from bad to fuccin horrible.and daz he was never a rapper..the nigga sounds like a neuro patient on wax. so daz sticc to producin and stop pretendin you a Crip. Snoop..the nigga could flow under a Dre beat but he is shit without it. He came from aspirin gangsta rapper to a freaky ass commercialized pop artist.

LL Cool J = washed up
Yukmouth = just wacc

I can agree with ya on LL, but Yuk? I believe Yuk has grown greatly as an artist from the days of the Luniz. He is an entreprenuer, always thinking of new ideas and searching for new talent. As for his flow and lyrics, I believe he has maintained his own unique style, which is dope. It's nothin like a lot of the artists out there today, westcoast or wherever. It's dope.

Get the dubcnn "california love" wallpaper here!!

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2006, 04:50:52 AM »

So true.

Mygla

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2006, 07:33:53 AM »

Xzibit -> his first three albums are dope as fuck, whereas his last two albums weren't even worth buying

triple WORD on that one...

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2006, 08:32:56 AM »
Most rappers get worse when they get older. When your young your hungry you dont give a fuck. 99% of all  rappers lose it once they in the game for a while. Its a shame man.

$do11a biLL$

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2006, 08:55:05 AM »

triple WORD on that one...

Symphony In X Major and What A Mess made Man Vs. Machine worth buying. WOMD definetly was a big dissapointment.