Author Topic: DPG Dillinger & Young Gotti II detailed review  (Read 725 times)

youngmessnucca

DPG Dillinger & Young Gotti II detailed review
« on: February 27, 2006, 03:28:16 PM »
1. The Saga Continuez...just an intro with cops pulling over some guys and then gunshots errupt n/a

2. DPGC Muzic...This is the best song to come out of SoCal this yea, still in rotation months after it was leaked. It is a simple 4-measure beat, but has a hard-hittin and funky as hell bassline, Daz did a great job on this one. There lyrics could use more effort, as is the case on this whole album, but the flow, beat & chemistry is so on point. Daz & Kurupt flow off of each other so well, it makes you wish they hadnt split and we could had 4 more years of songs like this.  5/5

3. Blast 'Em Up...Another skit with gunshots n/a

4. Cuz I'm A Gangsta...A great track by DJ X-Tra Large on this one. Kurupt shines the most on here with some of his best verses of the album but Daz is still a little better. A nice, dramatic beats with alot of classic DP elemnts to it, including that trademark dark feel and hissing keys. One thing that I must stress is that Daz should NEVER EVER try to sign a hook again. 4.5/5

5. Hittin' Donutz In Tha Streetz...Very laid back, G-Funk feel too this. Westcoast fans never seem to be happy without the G-Funk, and Daz sprinkled this whole album with a touch on practilly every track. It comes through the most on here. Good lyrics, although not too good, but this song is a mellowed out classic Dogg Pound song. It has the distintiction of being the only song where the "break-up" is addressed by Daz or Kurupt, even then its not much to talk about. 4/5

6. Say It...Lol this threw me off at first as being a glittery, pop sing-along type track, but Daz pulls off this beat very well. A strumming bass line, and an overall joyus oresence make this song very fun too listen too. It also has a call and response chourus ( kinda like Juelz Santana's "Oh Yes" or "Oh Boy" ) that the ladies would love. This could be a great single the right machine behind it. This is a much sweeter song than the usual DPG songs about females, its a good change of pace. 5/5

7. We Gitt...The song about getting fucked up on this album...Compared to "We About to Get Fucced Up" on D&YG, these guys sound like amatures here, spitting generic flows about dope that EVERYONE has heard a million times already. It's sad, becuase the album starts to lag here, and the effects of 15 + years of drug & alcohol abuse start to catch up with them. They must have been really wasted to not put no effort in this. The production, which stays top notch throught the album has a southern feel, with constant bass, so even though the lyrics are freestyled garbage, you can turn this up and let it play...The last song they did like this was purp though, this is fuckin bammer. 3.5/5

8. U Remind Me...Another love type song, this vibe has been done by DPG many times and is too repetitive too listen to. Soopafly helps on the beat, and its got and OK tempo to it, but all around is just plain boring. Terrible lyrics on this, cliche'ed female hook and this is also the point in the album where Kurupt starts to fade right into the beats. Again, the ladies will love it, but too boring to get more than 1 spin. 2/5

9. Make Me A Beliver...I'm 50/50 on this track. On one side, a slamming, top-notch beat by Daz with that undeniable DPC sound too it ( playing with pitch ), alot of different musical elements on here. The other hand is, Dillinger & Gotti serve this beat no justice. Daz voice sounds wierd, hes sings for the 2nd verse, and Kurupt just plain sucks ass on here. Towards the end of the track when Daz starts talking about a girl sucking the vein on his dick, you get sick to your stomach. That guy is on some serious dope! 3.5/5

10. I Luv When U...Another ladies track with an extrelemy laid back feel too it. Predictable female hook again, but Daz spits some very good lyrics on here, and Gotti has a funny verse on here. Good song about the ladies on here, lyrics are better than usual, the beat is a little bland though 3/5

11. What U Gone Do?...This sounds like a throwback Daz beat from 98/99 era...Daz & Kurupt flowing back and forth what more could you ask for? Maybe for Kurupt to put effort into his lyrics cuz this brings the track down alot. It's still a good track, but I'm skip it usually if I'm picking out the best tracks on here. It still does have a good vibe too it, and some people might like this a little better 3.5/5

12. Push Bacc...The 1st song we heard from them since the fall out and it sounded so refreshing to hear em together again. They havent changed much over the years voice, and flow wise. The only difference is that their lyrical complexity has sunken below sea level. Still this a laid-back, celebratory track by LT Hutton and it really was so great to hear them together Im rating this from the chills I got hearing this for the 1st time over the summer 5/5

13. Ride & Creep...This album ends with back-to-back heaters and they are probably the 2 best non-singles on here. The beat on here by X-Tra Large thumps real hard and The Dogg Pound flows so well over this cut. It fits their styles perfectly. Good, strong lyrics on here, mostly by Daz, but Kurupt spits it as well. The song is gangsta-orineted, so in a way the DP hasnt lost their way in this game, they just became less motivated lyrically. A great song to bump over a system 4.5/5

14. Feels Good To Be A Dogg Pound Gangsta...Another great beat, this is the 2nd best track on here behind DPGC Muzic. Kurupt has his best verse on this track, and Diggy Daz does his thing too. A hard rugged beat with a gritty, dark, nighttime mood too it. It is just an above average Dogg Pound track, which makes it great too me 5/5

Total score 4.0 out of 5

This albumwas touted as a disappointment on this board, but I'm not sure why. True, it isnt the best album to come out this year altogether but along with Quik, Mack 10 & Xzibit this was one of top 5 best Southern California albums. The pair, especially Kurupt have lost almost all of their lyrical swords in 2006. They should have put the fued behind them and recorded music from 2002-2005 when they were a little better. Daz is actually strong on every track, but Gotti constantly repeats himself and rhymes the same words with the same meanings over and over on here. It's not that he completely sucks but he used to be a feared MC, now is the WC answer to Mike Jones. The production, mostly handled by Daz with help from Ivan Johnson was top-notch throught the entire LP. The bass bangs, and everything is well mixed, it sounds like quality music. Maybe a track talking about the fued would have been more interesting, but could bring up bad feelings, so I don't mind that. They had fun on this album, most of all the chemistry is still there and it was an above-average effort.

Paul

Re: DPG Dillinger & Young Gotti II detailed review
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 03:43:42 PM »
brilliant review, agreed so much on all points, and the album is a party album, lyrically it is below par, but like you said the production was top notch. i really liked u remind me and what u gone do more thn u stated and i dont really hav any time for we gitt(but the beat is still nice). like you i dont understand why this album got alot of hate, because behind quik this was 1 of the best produced albums to come out in 2005. 8)
funkyfreshintheflesh

youngmessnucca

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 12:41:39 PM »
thanks

WestCoasta

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 10:35:31 PM »
We Gitt... the effects of 15 + years of drug & alcohol abuse start to catch up with them. They must have been really wasted to not put no effort in this.
lol

agreed, you're pretty much on point

it's a chill album, nothin great, but definitely some dope tracks, not bad by any means

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 12:36:04 AM »
to me it was best album of 2005

Vegasmac25

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 08:28:04 PM »
to me the album was tight and the track We gett is a fucking banger but like you said its shit that they have rapped about but it doesnt bother me.

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 10:01:15 PM »
Good detailed review, I thought the album was solid but I expect alot more from Daz and Kurupt and thats why Im not a huge fan of this album