Author Topic: Lil Jon Has Big Plans For E-40 And The Hyphy Movement  (Read 1046 times)

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
Lil Jon Has Big Plans For E-40 And The Hyphy Movement
« on: March 01, 2006, 07:09:14 AM »
"We in New York showing New York how the Bay Area does it," Lil Jon proclaimed recently at the legendary Electric Lady Studios, where he was hosting a listening party for his label BME's

latest signing, E-40.

"We just acting a rectum!" corrected 40, using his own unique slang and getting hyphy with some friends from "Cali-fool-ya." If the late Mac Dre, also a Bay Area rap icon, had been there, even he couldn't have mustered up a "thizz face" (think 3rd Base's gas face) — not with all the soul food, hot new hip-hop and the bevy of strippers provided by Lil Jon.

"They have this thing in the Bay called the hyphy movement, and we're bringing 40's album to New York since this is the capital of press, of rap, of television, of everything," explained Jon (see "Hyphy: Crunk, Northern California-Style"). "Everything starts from New York. If it don't break in New York, then it won't be worldwide."

The King of Crunk produced E-40's biggest hit, the hyphy anthem "Tell Me When to Go," and E-40 said people shouldn't be surprised — after all, crunk and hyphy are cousins.

"My boy Too Short and Jon are [very close]," said E-40. "We stayed in contact. I been in a few of [Jon's] videos. We did one of the coldest songs about the South, 'Rep Yo City,' on my Grit and Grind album. Then we did 'Anybody Can Get It' [on my next album.]"

"When we did 'Rep Yo City,' we saw the label 40 was on wasn't marketing and promoting him correctly," Jon interjected. "We just stayed in contact when he got off the label. He said, 'Let's do something.' I said, 'OK.' "

"This dude just don't do crunk music, he does it all," 40 said. "He does R&B, he gets on the hip-hop backpack. He know how to do it all. The boy is dummy. All the blaps he did for me. He did it right in front of my tall can face."

"That means I did all the beats while he was sitting right there," a smiling Jon translated. "That's another thing you gotta learn, when you pick up 40's My Ghetto Report Card album, get your notepad, 'cause you gonna learn a lot of lingo."

E-40 said the title of his upcoming release refers to the fact that he never "did nothing foul in the game." 40 said his credentials are "straight A's across the board."

Mike Jones, UGK, Too Short and T-Pain are among his guests on the project, due March 14.

Now that 40's LP is done, Lil Jon can start working more heavily on his own upcoming LP, Crunk Rock — especially since Jon and TVT Records have resolved their financial strife. Earlier this year, he said he would never record for them again.

"Me and TVT was going through our thing and I hadn't been on no records," Jon said, explaining how Crunk Rock's first single, "Snap Your Fingers," came about. 40 and the Young Bloodz's Sean Paul also appear on the track. "We was working on 40's record when I came up with the hook almost instantly. I just put [the song] out in the streets, 'cause they hadn't heard me in awhile. The record took off almost immediately. Just off the Internet, the record was at 1,000 spins. That helped us close the deal [with TVT] because the record got so hot. It showed me my fans want to hear some more me.

"[The song] is basically talking about what's going on in the clubs of the A," Jon added. "Everybody snappin', rockin', taking it easy, having a good time."

Jon isn't revealing the lineup for his album just yet, but he said plenty of industry friends will be present and to expect a classic. Crunk Rock doesn't have a release date set yet.

Nima - Dubcnn.com

Re: Lil Jon Has Big Plans For E-40 And The Hyphy Movement
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 08:27:58 AM »
Dope article!

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 09:30:39 AM »
Yeah that article was great, funny as hell. I said it before that people from the Bay should love Lil Jon for helpin them much more than anybody else outside the Bay, and especially more than L.A. producers/artists. Hopefully it can take off. Most people I know from the east coast seem to hate E-40, but if you force feed it to em, they'll follow suit too.

Woodrow

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 09:46:53 AM »
If Lil John can't get the West Coast (non Snoop/Dre) played in NY, I may officially be resigned to the fact that it's never going to happen.

Mr. RuthlessG

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 01:04:35 PM »
It would be nice to see E-40 blow up but I don't think it's going to happen especially on the east coast.

However I do and have never liked Lil Jon and I not going to jump on his bandwagon now just because he's popular.

Also what is the deal with this Hyphy movement to me it's too much like the crunk movement here in Georgia and I hate it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 01:20:26 PM by Mr. RuthlessG »

Addicted To Cake

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, Whos Next?
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 01:18:13 PM »
all ths hyphy shit is gay. its a gimmick just like atlanta used crunk to blow up now the bay wants to bite.

music coming from the bay was alot better in the 90s before this gay ass hyphy music came along.

J Bananas

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 01:31:51 PM »
Most people I know from the east coast seem to hate E-40, but if you force feed it to em, they'll follow suit too.

i like ur thinking.

WestCoasta

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 01:39:18 PM »
Lil Jon sounds like a cool dude, despite all the "yeeeeaaaaahhhhh" and wack lyrics. He is a talented producer though.

ehh.... I guess I agree.... put aside some of the dumb shit he's done.... I've actually heard some dope tracks he's produced....

at least he's helpin out the West, gotta give him his due for that

Addicted To Cake

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, Whos Next?
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 01:40:49 PM »
why would u wanna forcefeed crap music??

theres a reason e-40 has been out for over 13 yrs and yet people outside of Cali dont really care for him.

Give it up already. The Gay Area lost!

westkoastanostra

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 02:11:36 PM »
tight article! this hyphy movement is picking up! the west is coming back!

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 02:12:10 PM »

THAT'S WHY WE SLOWLY DOMINATING YOUR RADIO STATIONS RIGHT? ENVY US HOE !!!!

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

regimemob510

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 02:20:05 PM »

THAT'S WHY WE SLOWLY DOMINATING YOUR RADIO STATIONS RIGHT? ENVY US HOE !!!!

^^^^exactly u faggets.  hate on the bay all u want, just remember ur favorite rapper was from the bay and always had love for the bay.  and fuck that game tell me when to go remix.  u LA faggets show no love to the bay, so u niggas wanna take our words, take our swaggar and try to be like us.  FUCK THAT SHIT, REAL RECOGNIZE REAL AND U A STRANGER CUZZZ!!!  FAKE NIGGAS GET MERCKED ERRYDAY!!!!!  REMEMBER THIS SHIT WHEN THE BAY BLOWS UP, REMEMBER HOW U NIGGAS WAS HATIN ON US, NOW U WANNA LOVE US, REMEMBER THAT SHIT, CUZ WE GON' REMEMBER WHEN WE PULL OUR STRAPS OUT AND GET TO CLAPPIN U FAGGETS!!!!  WAIT TILL SUNDAY WHEN U SEE HOW SICK THE BAY REALLY IS ON MTV!!!!  FAKE NIGGAS GET ELIMINATED!!!!!!!  MOB SHIT NIGGA!!!!

WestCoasta

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 02:20:47 PM »
^^^ enough of this nonsense... I'm from L.A. and I got no problem.... don't take 1 dudes opinion and place it on everybody

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 02:28:04 PM »
And it's not like you guy are "dominating our radio" I've heard that E-40 track and San Quin here on LA radio. I have no problem with the Bay but you gets are way too sensitive.

regimemob510

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 02:28:47 PM »
^^^ enough of this nonsense... I'm from L.A. and I got no problem.... don't take 1 dudes opinion and place it on everybody

your just one person, there are countless people on this site from LA who's job is to talk shit about bay area rap.  all im saying, is remember wut u said, cuz we're gonna remind u when the whole nation is bumpin our shit.  believe it....