Author Topic: Warren G Finds The 'Light' With Nate Dogg; Considers More 213  (Read 578 times)

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
Grinding the rough streets of Long Beach, California, as a youngster wasn't easy for Warren G.

The West Coast rapper, also known as the Regulator, has dealt with some harsh demons on his way up and out of the 213 — gangs and drugs, to

"I talked to Snoop the other day, and we talked about doing another [213 LP]. Once we do it, it's going to go pretty fast." — Warren G

Photos, audio and video from this story

"Groupie Luv"
Hard Way
(TVT) 
   Warren G
"I Need a Light"
In the Mid-Nite Hour [Clean]
(Hawino/Lightyear) 

name two. He describes his journey in In the Mid-Nite Hour's autobiographical second single, "I Need a Light," featuring longtime friend Nate Dogg, who, along with Snoop Dogg, took much of the trip beside him.

"The song talks about a lot of situations, what I've been through from me growing up to now," G told MTV News recently. "It's also a lot of situations Nate and Snoop have been through [too] — just us being hip-hop artists and the life of living in Long Beach."

"This is a lot deeper than other songs we've done together," Nate added. "It's about how when you're going through troubles, people deal with stress differently. Like, I have so much going on that I just need to relax. There's just so much stress going off."

Throughout the track, G, who refers to himself at one point as a "serious basket case," spits rhymes about running with a gang and getting arrested. Then he segues into his decision to leave that lifestyle and start doing right by his family and others, making the point that change is possible, though not always easy.

Directed by Paul Hunter (Snoop, Pharrell), the clip is a throwback to the early 1940s with a bit of contemporary flair — the duo are decked out in chic black suits, engulfed in rich colors and dark silhouettes and surrounded by flashy cars and beautiful women. But it also shows the rapper's sweet side, interspersing images of him with a bride, a wedding ring and babies.

"The tone of the video shows the classic side of Warren — how he built his empire from the streets of Long Beach and expanded it to the world," Hunter said in a statement. "He's showing everyone that it's all about class and treating people right."

G said he's in a much better place now, mentally, and he's ready to show that to the world. "I'm just happy, man," he said. "There's so much going on, and I just can't wait to have fun."

No doubt the rapper will have his share of good times reteaming with his 213 comrades, Snoop and Nate, as they prepare to unleash some new material in the coming months.

"We will probably drop a single called 'PYT' around early May so it can ride out the summer," G said, adding that he could be joining Snoop on tour this summer with Ludacris and Ice Cube. "He called me and asked if I wanted to get on the tour, and I was like, 'Let's do it!' That was it, done deal. Now we just have to work out the particulars."

Finally, G said another 213 record could soon be in the works, their first new album since 2004's The Hard Way (see "Snoop's 213 Get Wrong Number While Doing Things The Hard Way").

"I talked to Snoop the other day, and we talked about doing another one," he said. "We haven't set it in stone yet, but it's going to go down, and once we do it, it's going to go pretty fast."

G said he plans to step in as the album's producer this time around.

"I can't wait," he said of the supergroup's return. "We make hit records together, and when we get together, man, it's magic."

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Warren G Finds The 'Light' With Nate Dogg; Considers More 213
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 09:04:37 AM »
Thanks for posting this man.

Finally, G said another 213 record could soon be in the works, their first new album since 2004's The Hard Way.

That's the way they should've done it in the first place. My guess though, is that even if they get carcking on this record, it'll be at least 18 months before anything concrete surfaces. I could be wrong though, and I kinda hope I am. 213 record produced by Warren - hell yeah. But I really don't see this happening anytime soon.

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Holler at your Uncle Snoopy..."
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 10:50:51 AM »
Well, I think it's just cool to see MTV.com posting news on Warren in the first place. I've heard "I Need A Light" is doing pretty well for him - hope it continues to buzz!
"Shit ain't all peaches and cream, and I ain't Sara Lee, bitch!" - Lloyd Banks

"I'm Morpheus in this Hip-Hop Matrix, exposing fake shit." - Common

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

"Look at all these conscious rappers - guess who influenced them?" - KRS One

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 10:58:32 AM »
Well, I think it's just cool to see MTV.com posting news on Warren in the first place.

Exactly...I never thought they'd grant Warren G another article months after the release of his album that didn't do THAT well by MTV standards...

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 11:20:45 AM »
Well, I think it's just cool to see MTV.com posting news on Warren in the first place.

Exactly...I never thought they'd grant Warren G another article months after the release of his album that didn't do THAT well by MTV standards...

Yeah, but I think as an independant release it's growing. The "I Need A Light" video has already racked up over 35,000 plays on Myspace.com! :o

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

Rud

• Kingdingaling
  • Connected
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 01:06:47 PM »
and its been downloaded over 12,000 times on dubcnn :o

Westcoast News Network // www.dubcnn.com // Westcoast News Network

Gangstauu

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FC Utrecht 4 Life
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 01:19:22 PM »
i would luv another 213 album wit warren g production this time

One day everything is gonna be fine
But until that day my only reply "westside till I die"  -TQ

West Up

Utreg 4 Life

BiG*WiCkEd

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • G'z Up*HoEz DoWn
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 02:30:31 PM »
Juz like everybody else up in here...can't wait to see if it really drops...but this time have Warren G on the production tip, I know he can really put the music down and make it go worldwide...There'z this unique sound to his beats that have major style....
WICKZ
What Goes Around, Comes Around

My enemies deceased
Died like a bitch
When my album hit tha streetz
Niggas Can't C Me

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 02:53:15 PM »
and its been downloaded over 12,000 times on dubcnn :o

He deserves it. I'm really glad to hear that Warren's at a happy stage in his life and career. To quote his own words, there have been a few times in the past where he came off as upset, "a real basket case". I hope "I Need A Light" turns into a big success for him. The track has definitely grown on me since I saw the video 8)

PLANT

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 02:56:41 PM »
Bigg Warren gotta stay trump tight! 8) :D

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 02:57:44 PM »
I'd love another 213 album if Warren actually produces on it.

evan the dude

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Alaskan Connection
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 03:06:31 PM »

"I can't wait," he said of the supergroup's return. "We make hit records together, and when we get together, man, it's magic." [/i]

Best news I've heard in a looong time. I personally thought the 1st 213 was an awesome album. My boys and i love that shit. With Warren on production, it'll be even better!

Get the dubcnn "california love" wallpaper here!!

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 04:42:31 PM »
This sounds good.  So is that tour he's talking about the same as those dates that were posted up last week for Ice Cube's tour?

Big_Ron

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 10:11:28 PM »
Warren G and DJ Quik should produce the entire album.

Jakubs

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 10:27:03 PM »
I just read this on VH1 News too. Glad to hear that Warren plans to get behind the boards for the next 213 album. It's a shame it didn't work out that way the first time, but better late then never.
AKA: bdjac, Da Bears, Fonksta, Return Of Da Bears, Da Supa Bears, Da Bulls, Jake