Author Topic: Redesigned Nintendo D.S. "Flop" sells out in an hour in Japan...  (Read 411 times)

Trauma-san

O.K., what a flop this thing is.  I think Nintendo will be firing people soon because with consumer response like this, these poor Nintendo employees probably hate this idea and are afraid their jobs are on the line.  Now... this isn't a NEW system.... this is just the Nintendo D.S. with a new case and a different color.  Oh.  And Bruce Springsteen is cool.  That is all. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6145349.html

Sold-out DS Lite available for heavy price
Japanese secondhand shops selling the double-screened handheld at more than double the retail price. Survey shows no signs of waning interest.

Despite being just a redesign of an existing console rather than a new machine, the Nintendo DS Lite sold out quickly in Japan on its first day of release yesterday. Hundreds of customers were seen in line outside stores across the country, and the handheld sold out within hours of its morning release. When GameSpot checked out stores in Tokyo, employees were turning away patrons before the stores were even open for business, already having more people in line than handhelds to sell. The desire for the new DS wasn't limited to just Japan's tech-hungry capital; similar reports were heard from various other regions including Osaka, the second-largest city in the country.

Today, GameSpot went through a number of major shopping districts including Akihabara, Ikeburuko, and Shinjuku, but no retailer had any units available. However, secondhand shops were selling DS Lite units at nearly 40,000 yen ($343), which is more than double the handheld's official price of 16,800 yen ($144). Prices at online auction sites are lower, with deals closing around an average of 26,000 yen ($233).

Gamers who missed out on yesterday's launch will either have to pay a premium to purchase their DS Lite secondhand, or wait until Nintendo makes its next big shipment on March 11. On that date, Nintendo will release the Ice Blue and Enamel Navy color models of the DS Lite, which were delayed due to problems in manufacturing.

The popularity of the DS shows no signs of fading, especially with the new announcements that Nintendo made late last month. The company unveiled a number of new add-ons that will make the handheld function more as a multimedia device, including a Web browser and digital TV tuner.

The latest issue of Famitsu features a report of a survey taken from its official site, and it shows that gamers are looking forward to the handheld's extended capabilities.

When asked about the DS's Web browser, 245 surveyed gamers answered that they look forward to using it, doubling the 121 that had no interest. Among the reasons given by interested users were the use of the two screens for browsing (216 votes), convenient controls with the stylus (180 votes), and the handwriting-recognition software when browsing (155 votes). On the other hand, a significant number of users had no idea the DS's web browser will cost money (3,800 yen/$33--Sony's PSP comes with one for free).

When asked about the 1seg digital broadcast TV tuner, 38.2 percent of the surveyed gamers said they are looking forward to the TV tuner, while only 9.8 percent said they have no interest. A little over half (52 percent) still weren't sure about it. The 1seg broadcast service is still relatively new, with the general public mostly unaware of its capabilities.

For its final question, Famitsu asked gamers who don't own a DS whether they're now interested in picking one upon learning of the handheld's new functions. 58.1 percent said yes, 31.1 percent said they're still thinking, and 10.8 percent said no.

Nintendo has still not announced a release date for the DS Lite in North America.

By Tim Surette -- GameSpot

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Redesigned Nintendo D.S. "Flop" sells out in an hour in Japan...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 04:15:14 PM »
yea heard about that,sellin out fast over there good to see 8)

wonder when it will come out in NA?
rumors have been sayin May,but Nintendo hasnt announced anything yet

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 08:54:33 PM »
I think E3 is in May, so maybe around that time?  I dunno.  The market for the DS is bigger in Japan than it is here, but it's still doing well everywhere.  That's crazy they've got hundreds waiting in line to get a redesigned system, it doesn't even have anything new. 

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 09:04:50 PM »
I think E3 is in May, so maybe around that time?  I dunno.  The market for the DS is bigger in Japan than it is here, but it's still doing well everywhere.  That's crazy they've got hundreds waiting in line to get a redesigned system, it doesn't even have anything new. 

the brightness is significantly brighter,have u seeen the comparison pics?
but yea ur right theres nothing really new about it,just improvments, do u got a DS right now? how u likin it?

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

HD

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WCCWF Champion
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 08:35:27 AM »
nintendo 4 life

BJV

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 07:44:54 PM »
O.K., what a flop this thing is.  I think Nintendo will be firing people soon because with consumer response like this, these poor Nintendo employees probably hate this idea and are afraid their jobs are on the line.  Now... this isn't a NEW system.... this is just the Nintendo D.S. with a new case and a different color.  Oh.  And Bruce Springsteen is cool.  That is all. 

Do I affect your life that much? Msybe you should put that Psych degree to good use and examine your life.

The DS is now at what, 15 million sales? It's still got a long way to go before it catches up to GBA's 65 million or the original GB's 100+ million. That's all I said from the beginning; that it would pale in comparison to the other Gameboys' sales, and so far I'm still right. And Nintendo only employs 3000 people. Not much next to the 150,000 Sony employs, and the hundreds of thousands more it greatly helps in electronic stores. Sony is an important part of the world's economy, Nintendo is not. For the record I am a life long Sega fan, but that doesn't mean I am blinded to the facts of reality. Of course I'm talking to a guy that would sell both his kidneys for a 3-way with Brian Wilson and Michael Jackson.

And for the record, Bruce Springsteen has a new album coming out this April; exactly one year after his last album. It's a cover album of Pete Seeger songs and songs associated with Seeger. It's called We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions and I can't wait. A legend covering a legend.

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 09:56:59 PM »
Yeah, I'll have to check that out...   WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 09:58:25 PM »
Oh, and btw... while you knew two artists I'm madly in love with... I only knew one of yours.  So who's affecting who, eh?

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 08:15:54 AM »
Oh, and btw... while you knew two artists I'm madly in love with... I only knew one of yours.  So who's affecting who, eh?

Are you insane? You go out of your way to promote both of those artists. Every time Jackson completes a new chord for his supposed charity song you create a new thread, and the same can be said about Wilson's endeavors. Take the number of threads I've made about Springsteen and compare them to the number of threads you've made about either of those two. The difference is like comparing the sales of the Playstation to the sales of the N64, or the PS2 to that of GameCube.

And don't hate on Pete Seeger. He's a national treasure.

Danté Williams

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Diggie Dee aka Tha Preacher
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 11:50:26 AM »
At the end of the day, Nintendo is the #1 money maker in the videogame world, while Sony's gaming section makes the company lose money.

MIC

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 02:38:55 PM »
At the end of the day, Nintendo is the #1 money maker in the videogame world, while Sony's gaming section makes the company lose money.

Playstation brand has been Sony's number one money maker for a decade now. It has its better and worse years (like the last one or two when billions were spent on R&D) but contrary to other divisions, SCE is making them tons of cash. I think you've mistaken SCE for Microsoft Entertainment Division.