Author Topic: Is Representative Recall a good thing?  (Read 205 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Is Representative Recall a good thing?
« on: March 07, 2006, 01:27:28 PM »
Representative recall

The Canadian province of British Columbia has representative recall. In that province, voters in a provincial riding can petition to have a sitting representative removed from office, even a Premier presently leading a government. If enough voters sign the petition, the Speaker of the legislature announces before the House that the member has been recalled and a by-election follows as soon as possible, it gives the opportunity to replace the politician in question. Fourteen United States states have similar measures in their constitutions — and many more municipalities — but generally these measures fail to operate more readily than in British Columbia, which in January 2003 achieved a record twenty-two such recall efforts (all but one of them, excluding the recall of Paul Reitsma, ultimately failed, however).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recall_election

I think it's a great idea and if practiced properly would be very effective to keep governments in check.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Is Representative Recall a good thing?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 12:44:54 PM »
No thoughts at all? I guess if it's not about Muslims or conspiracies people don't care.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mo Z. Dizzle, the CEO of WCC Wrestling League
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 01:06:52 PM »
if i understood it correctly, it sounds pretty good

so what Rep. Recall basically is that if ppl feel a a rep isnt doing they're job, ppl can petition to try and vote another member in?
or is it something different from what i wrote?

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 01:14:27 PM »

so what Rep. Recall basically is that if ppl feel a a rep isnt doing they're job, ppl can petition to try and vote another member in?

No, you got it right on.

Paris

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mo Z. Dizzle, the CEO of WCC Wrestling League
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 01:18:03 PM »

No, you got it right on.

alrighty, it's a pretty good idea then; i don't think a lot of ppl are aware of it either
i think they should introduce it in Ontario too (assuming it isn't here), it'll prolly get politicians to keep their main promises instead of backin out on them

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 04:08:42 PM »

No, you got it right on.

alrighty, it's a pretty good idea then; i don't think a lot of ppl are aware of it either
i think they should introduce it in Ontario too (assuming it isn't here), it'll prolly get politicians to keep their main promises instead of backin out on them

Yeah we should have that in Ontario, unfortunately only BC has it.

Rep. Recall is part of an essay I'm writing, I'm using that argument. I figure if Legislators are recalled for promise-breaking it will be an inducement to keep promises.

Paris