Author Topic: What ya'll think of Malcolm Gladwell's "thin slicing theory"  (Read 500 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
What ya'll think of Malcolm Gladwell's "thin slicing theory"
« on: March 19, 2006, 01:10:37 PM »
He has a book called "Blink" he put out in 2004, it's still a best-seller.  I go into it in more detail later, but the basis of the hypothesis is this...

You can know more about a person or a situation in a blink of an eye, then you would learn through years of analysis, because our brain is equipped with an ability of "thin slicing" in which it can automatically weed through all the excess information and focus instantly on what is most important.

^^what ya'll think.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

eKardz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I bleed red white and blue, I am a New York Ranger
Re: What ya'll think of Malcolm Gladwell's "thin slicing theory"
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 01:20:35 PM »
now that is interesting, you got any reviews of that?

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 01:24:04 PM »
now that is interesting, you got any reviews of that?

just go to amazon and read some reviews.. but discuss your thoughts here.

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 02:36:00 PM »

otherwise known as intuition?...

not a bad theory.. mines often very very right with people :)

coola

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 06:28:18 PM »
ohhhh you mean like judging people ?

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 08:47:14 PM »

no, it's way more than that, he does a case study in the book about a marriage counselor who can tell in just 3 minutes of observing a couples conversation whether or not they will get a divorce, with 95% accuracy.  He also does case studies concerning cops and military generals.

h cottie is bac-tive?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The trains are NY veins, the city's a Psycho
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 10:57:38 PM »
i read a couple pages...didnt really hook me but i mite give it a try...right now im on the autobiography of malcolm X...i'm halfway thru and this book is incredible, already one of all-time favorites. it really puts you up on life back in the 30's and 40's. i've gone thru his life as a very young child to the death of his father at age 6 by the KKK up to the time he moves to boston and learns so much G shit then becomes a hustler in harlem. i havnt gotten to the part where he gets locked up but the book is VERY insightful on his life growing up, real descriptive and it seems like i've watched him grow up already. it starts from the time he is born all the way to his death. i cannot say enough about how good this book really is. i recommend it immensely.

I WENT TO STAPLES CENTER WEN I WAS WALKING MY GOLD RAG FALL OF MY POCKET AND THE GROUND WAS WET TO AND DIRTY MY RAG GOT DIRTY A LIL BIT PULL IT IT BACK AND MAKE SURE IT WOULD NOT DROP AGAIN ROCKING MY RAG AGAIN HOMIE 8

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 04:19:31 AM »
i read a couple pages...didnt really hook me but i mite give it a try...right now im on the autobiography of malcolm X...i'm halfway thru and this book is incredible, already one of all-time favorites. it really puts you up on life back in the 30's and 40's. i've gone thru his life as a very young child to the death of his father at age 6 by the KKK up to the time he moves to boston and learns so much G shit then becomes a hustler in harlem. i havnt gotten to the part where he gets locked up but the book is VERY insightful on his life growing up, real descriptive and it seems like i've watched him grow up already. it starts from the time he is born all the way to his death. i cannot say enough about how good this book really is. i recommend it immensely.

Your definitely going to benefit a great deal more from Malcolm X's book.  Don't worry about reading any other book until after you finish the Autobiography of Malcolm X.  The second half of the book is even better than the first. 

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 04:19:52 AM »

Btw, I'm not a major sponsor or advocate of Gladwell or his book "Blink". It was just kind of interesting so I was asking people what they thought of it. 

eKardz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I bleed red white and blue, I am a New York Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 04:43:04 AM »

i read that book last year man.  that is probably one of the best books i've ever read

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 05:53:02 AM »
He has a book called "Blink" he put out in 2004, it's still a best-seller.  I go into it in more detail later, but the basis of the hypothesis is this...

You can know more about a person or a situation in a blink of an eye, then you would learn through years of analysis, because our brain is equipped with an ability of "thin slicing" in which it can automatically weed through all the excess information and focus instantly on what is most important.

^^what ya'll think.

There's another book called "Think, don't blink" that I agree with more.  It basically says that sometimes your first impulse isn't correct, and as higher primates we need to use our mind to it's fullest capacity. 

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 06:46:44 AM »
i saw gladwell speak about "blink" on c-span's book tv, i didn't like the idea at all.  a dirty cop could use his arguments to create a "blinkable" situation and then use that as a cover for murder.  when he was speaking, he basically wrote off the amadou diallo case as an instance where good cops may have found themselves in a bad situation.

i think buddy is deluded off his own sense of self enlightenment.

think of a common bully.  a bully will use mockery and taunting to bait a weaker target into starting a fight they are sure to lose.  using gladwell's arguments, a more crafty bully would create the same situation through more subtle means; and then step back and argue "i only reacted to this bad situation". 

gladwell's arguments, that i heard, could easily be used as a blueprint for an effective form of manipulation.  i remember thinking to myself "this guy's ideas are dangerous" while watching his speech.
"a four letter word is going out to every single enemy" - kam

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 11:46:15 AM »

no, it's way more than that, he does a case study in the book about a marriage counselor who can tell in just 3 minutes of observing a couples conversation whether or not they will get a divorce, with 95% accuracy.  He also does case studies concerning cops and military generals.
So it's reading body language to interpert what someone is really thinking, whether they know it or it's subconcience.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 04:30:46 PM »
Well since I haven't read the book, I can't give an accuarate opinion on its contents.  There is definitely something to be said about trusting one's natural intuition.  As I've gotten older, I've gotten more keen on my own intuition.  I've gotten better and better at sizing up situations / people quickly.  A lot of times, I'll get a feeling about something, not necessarily good or bad, but I won't truly know how to react to it.  Then later, something might come to fruition, and I'll be like "so that's why I was feeling that".  Not on a psychic level, I think it's just years of wisdom and experience, and getting better at identifying things.

My wife has an uncanny ability at character identification.  I'll introduce her to certain people, whether it be co-workers or old friends, and there have been times when she says she gets bad vibes from them.  Over time, I've learned to really trust her intutions in situations like that. (fucking women's intuition I guess)

Having said all that, in no way do I think you can blindly walk around judging everything within a minute of being introduced to it.  This is evidenced by the numerous people that "know" me, yet would never guess in 1,000 years some of the things i've done / still do.