Author Topic: Why is Bay Area so in love with Dirty South?  (Read 1014 times)

Suga Foot

Re: Why is Bay Area so in love with Dirty South?
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2006, 09:49:32 AM »
I know what Rod's sayin about being from somwhere vs. just being somewhere.  You don't have to be from where you were born, you're from wherever you get your charachter from.  Because it's usually your surroundings that make you who you are.  You become a product of your city.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2006, 10:42:13 AM »
this thread proves how stupid the thread starter is

lmao
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2006, 10:52:05 AM »
I have stayed out of this thread for the most part, because anything I say won't have much of an impact when people just want to use anything for an argument.

Personally...The new Bay sound is about as similar to the south's music as The "new west" or new L.A. sound is similar to NY's music. However, most L.A. music sounds straight out of the 90's west coast, OR straight from NY right now. It's not too much inbetween. For Hyphy, SOME songs do have strong South influence....however, how are you gonna mention those artists and producers who sound similar to the south, but NOT mention Rick Rock, who's not only the architect of Hyphy, but who has a completely different sound from the south? He barely uses the typical 808 sounds, and as far as the instrumentation he uses, it's the EXACT same as what he was doin a few years ago on "Automatic" "Change the game" "You can't deny it" "Gasoline" and everything else in the 2000's. Thing is, the drums and overall vibe he has been usin with these instruments is faster and gives it the energy that is hyphy. So yeah, some hyphy songs do sound straight from the south, but it's one thing that makes it different from CRUNK itself.....the tempo is a LOT different. For example....listenin to E-40's CD, the songs that would classify as CRUNK are:
I'm Da Man
Yee
Gimme Head
She say she loves me
However...songs that may be be called crunk, such as "U and dat" are only considered crunk because it's Lil Jon and the 808 sounds...but the tempo and vibe of that song is a LOT different from the bouncy, jump up and down, "whoop that trick" style of music.

So overall....the only major similarity between the Bay and the South is the 808 sound, some of the synthesizers, and the energy...but the tempo and dances alone make it a completely different sound.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »
Lil Jon? Cash Money? Ball & G? lol! I don't see or hear any real Bay influence in their music.

Thats ok. It aint my fault people only see what they want to see. Hyphy is not crunk and didnt come from the south. Its uniquely Bay shit. Dont much care to argue with a brick wall though.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 11:09:22 AM by Turf Hitta »

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2006, 11:07:08 AM »
And yall aint heard the new 40 if  you think thats crunk music. Theres maybe 3-4 crunk songs on the whole thing.

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2006, 11:19:15 AM »
So overall....the only major similarity between the Bay and the South is the 808 sound

The 808 sound was used in the bay 1st! The only similarity is the energy. But the energy is still much different, we don't throw bows, we feel ourself and give it that gangsta urban swagger.

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2006, 11:58:03 AM »
we be to rap what key be to lock

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2006, 12:02:35 PM »
So overall....the only major similarity between the Bay and the South is the 808 sound

The 808 sound was used in the bay 1st! The only similarity is the energy. But the energy is still much different, we don't throw bows, we feel ourself and give it that gangsta urban swagger.

Damn...I was DEFINITELY gonna put that on there but I was in the flow of what I was sayin and forgot to put it. But yeah, I know it was used there first...and even at that, I said "similarity", which is a lot different from sayin "the only thing the Bay BIT/stole/used from the south" you know. Yeah the energy is a whole lot different, but the fact that there is energy compared to the east and even L.A. is what I was sayin.

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2006, 12:11:10 PM »
Gotchu.... Similar but very different culture.

by the way, Have you asked around about how the sales are going down in LA?

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2006, 12:12:48 PM »
Gotchu.... Similar but very different culture.

by the way, Have you asked around about how the sales are going down in LA?

I haven't talked to anybody since yesterday....but oh yeah I forgot to mention, it's sellin VERY good in Tallahassee, Florida

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2006, 04:00:17 PM »
R-Tistic is right, the tempo for Hyphy is much faster than Crunk.

Compare the bpm of "Tell Me When To Go" to "Damn". Both produced by Lil Jon but two different sounds.

Addicted To Cake

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, Whos Next?
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2006, 04:19:34 PM »

Compare the bpm of "Tell Me When To Go" to "Damn". Both produced by Lil Jon but two different sounds.

do u think the average person hearing this album gives a shit about the Beats Per Minute for "tell me when to go??"

get real. Its all Lil Jon. even the tracks that aren't produced by lil jon don't sound anythign like westcoast. His next single with T-Pain is a Dirty South record not westcoast. e-40 is doing nothing for the west whatsoever.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 08:25:51 PM by Addicted To Beef »

WestCoasta

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2006, 07:45:53 PM »
LA always referred itself as the West Coast, that was a HUGE slap in the face for us when the West was on top in the 90's. Now it's our time to bust back to what the LA never included us in. And don't mention 2pac either because he was one of us. It's to the point now where LA rappers want to be on BAY remixes. Don't deny it, you just envy the success. And it's only beginning....
dude ur so lame

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2006, 08:30:26 PM »

do u think the average person hearing this album gives a shit about the Beats Per Minute for "tell me when to go??"

get real. Its all Lil Jon. even the tracks that aren't produced by lil jon don't sound anythign like westcoast. His next single with T-Pain is a Dirty South record not westcoast. e-40 is doing nothing for the west whatsoever.

But nobody thinks Tell me when to go sounds anything like the average crunk song. Other than the four Lil Jon tracks I mentioned, the rest of it sounds nothin like crunk.

U kno what tho...I'm about done with this whole crunk vs hyphy arguin. Nobody will admit to havin a change in opinion about it anyway.

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2006, 08:58:38 PM »
LA always referred itself as the West Coast, that was a HUGE slap in the face for us when the West was on top in the 90's. Now it's our time to bust back to what the LA never included us in. And don't mention 2pac either because he was one of us. It's to the point now where LA rappers want to be on BAY remixes. Don't deny it, you just envy the success. And it's only beginning....
dude ur so lame
You didn't have to state the obvious.