Author Topic: Bayern need Petrov, says Matthaus  (Read 121 times)

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
Bayern need Petrov, says Matthaus
« on: March 17, 2006, 05:54:57 AM »

Bayern need Petrov, says Matthaus

Germany legend Lothar Matthaus has told Bayern Munich they should sign Celtic's Stilian Petrov as a replacement for outgoing captain Michael Ballack.

Matthaus, who spent 12 years at Bayern, believes Petrov has the leadership skills to replace Ballack, who is expected to join Chelsea this summer.

Former Hungary boss Matthaus told Sport-Bild magazine: "I know him from Hungary's games against Bulgaria.

"He plays with his sleeves rolled up and is a leader for 90 minutes."

Petrov has been a big hit at Parkhead since joining Celtic from CSKA Sofia for £2m in August 1998.

Mattahus, who won six Bundesliga titles during his time at Bayern, added: "Since Ballack came to Bayern four years ago the club has had no international success.

"Not that I'm a fan of Ballack's predecessor Stefan Effenberg, but he was always in there, rousing his team-mates."

Matthaus claims that Bayern coach Felix Magath is seeking a leader on the pitch and said: "Magath is aware of the problem.

"He will try to get a player who is more respected by others, a classic number eight, not a Ballack-type not a phenomenal footballer but a personality.

"Magath brought along the name of Mark van Bommel but I'm bringing along another one, Stilian Petrov from Celtic."
NO MORE WAR