Author Topic: Women in the fire & police departments  (Read 752 times)

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
Re: Women in the fire & police departments
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 10:47:06 AM »
I got nothing against women in the fire department. The thing is, the majority of women are not qualified. They're allowed in the department so that the county/city can avoid lawsuits.

I know a guy in the fire department. He said they were running drills and a woman around 5'4 and 125 was suppose to pull him out of a simulated burning building. Now he's around 6'1, 200+ pounds. She gave up on him after 30 seconds.

it sounds like the problem is that women have lower physical standards, as is the case in the military.  i think the solution is that either the physical standards be the same or people with lesser physical capabilities be given tasks according to their merit.

my point was that this was a small issue that detracts somewhat from the larger issue.  i'd prefer errors of this sort than the errors that lead to women being unfairly underrepresented.
"a four letter word is going out to every single enemy" - kam

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 10:48:37 AM »
i see people wanting to take away from women what little they actually have
You think women don't have much?

i think women have about 72% as much as men in the u.s..  slightly higher in some places.  significantly lower in others.  i'd like to see that number closer to 98% across the board; personally.
So would I, but 72%=having little? 72% is an unfair proportion, but find me a women (in America at least) who isn't a feminist that says women have little.
I am under the impression that little is <50%

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 11:14:42 AM »
Quote from: Dat Nigga Ted aka The 10th Nazgűl link=topic=105641.msg1088971#msg1088971
So would I, but 72%=having little? 72% is an unfair proportion, but find me a women (in America at least) who isn't a feminist that says women have little.
I am under the impression that little is <50%

we agree on the 72% and only disagree about how bad 72% is.  so we really aren't disagreeing on the facts.  why shouldn't women have 98% of what men have?  in terms of influence, power, wealth and respect?  social, political and economic standing.  why shouldn't women have 98%?

i think that is abhorrant.

women have no business on the football field.  maybe women shouldn't be firemen, or atleast not general purpose firemen.  but in the areas where sex makes no significant difference, why should sex matter?  why should there be any disparity, let along a disparity greater than 2%?

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 11:19:34 AM »
I never said 72% wasn't bad I'm just saying it dosen't neccesarly translate into "having little." I even said that I'd like to see it at 98%

What I am saying is
<50% is little
50% to 90 is not little, but is not enough
90% to 95% ??
95% to 100% Good depending on your opinion.

Sikotic™

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 11:39:15 AM »
I got nothing against women in the fire department. The thing is, the majority of women are not qualified. They're allowed in the department so that the county/city can avoid lawsuits.

I know a guy in the fire department. He said they were running drills and a woman around 5'4 and 125 was suppose to pull him out of a simulated burning building. Now he's around 6'1, 200+ pounds. She gave up on him after 30 seconds.

it sounds like the problem is that women have lower physical standards, as is the case in the military.  i think the solution is that either the physical standards be the same or people with lesser physical capabilities be given tasks according to their merit.

my point was that this was a small issue that detracts somewhat from the larger issue.  i'd prefer errors of this sort than the errors that lead to women being unfairly underrepresented.

I agree with everything except your last statement. Maybe I misunderstood you, but you'd rather have errors during an emergency like a fire instead of a woman being misrepresented?
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 12:24:20 PM »
I agree with everything except your last statement. Maybe I misunderstood you, but you'd rather have errors during an emergency like a fire instead of a woman being misrepresented?

it should never get to the point of errors during an emergency.  you have people making bad decisions and blaming it on the law.  it doesn't matter if there is a quota in place, if you don't have a competent female candidate then you miss the quota.  if someone tries to sue let them explain why the lawsuit should ignore their deficient physical attributes.  if the local/state/federal govt tries to withhold funds then sue.  how can you meet a quota if there are no suitable candidates?

at some point, for a 5'2 110 lbs woman to be out in the field endangering lives, people have clearly made poor decisions and used the law as a crux.  people should make better decisions.  i don't have a problem with firewomen.  i don't have a problem with the law.  i have a problem with people "cutting off their noses to spite their faces". 

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 12:31:50 PM »
Here in Ontario, for the fire departments, women and men have to meet the same requirements physically to pass that stage and get a certificate.  Here is an example of one of the physical tests that some cities use: http://www.brocku.ca/firefighter/CPAT.html

I also believe that EVERYONE no matter what sex, race, age...whatever, should have to meet the same requirements.  If that means the fire department consists of 95% white males between the ages of 20-40, so be it.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2006, 12:40:51 PM »
It is a proven biological fact that the majority of smart people are men. Same for physical shit. Fuck affirmative action in general. Every motherfucker for himself.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Sikotic™

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2006, 06:45:41 PM »
it should never get to the point of errors during an emergency.  you have people making bad decisions and blaming it on the law.  it doesn't matter if there is a quota in place, if you don't have a competent female candidate then you miss the quota.  if someone tries to sue let them explain why the lawsuit should ignore their deficient physical attributes.  if the local/state/federal govt tries to withhold funds then sue.  how can you meet a quota if there are no suitable candidates?

at some point, for a 5'2 110 lbs woman to be out in the field endangering lives, people have clearly made poor decisions and used the law as a crux.  people should make better decisions.  i don't have a problem with firewomen.  i don't have a problem with the law.  i have a problem with people "cutting off their noses to spite their faces". 
Oh of course, in no way do I have a problem with firewomen. It's not just the law, but the system in general. If they were more equal with their physicals then that would add to more lawsuits. That's gonna cause the district alot of money if they have multiple suits towards women who refuse to accept that they're just not able to handle the physical demand of the job.

Like the homeboy Johnny Taylor sings: "It's cheeper to keep her" & that's how the districts feel about the women.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 02:19:44 PM by -Sikotic- »
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

K A I N

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2006, 07:08:20 AM »
I like seeing female cops getting their ass beat on FOX specials  ;D

They're clowns.