Author Topic: Wenger wants refs to ban divers  (Read 718 times)

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
Wenger wants refs to ban divers
« on: March 24, 2006, 01:15:52 PM »

Wenger wants refs to ban divers

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has called on referees to stamp out diving by suspending guilty players.

Chelsea's Shaun Wright-Phillips is the latest Premiership player to be accused of diving in order to get an opposition player sent off.

And Wenger said: "We have to fight it and there is only one way to punish people diving obviously: suspension.

"Once it is in the game it is difficult to get it out. Once a guy knows he might be punished he will not dive."

Wright-Phillips was accused of diving in Chelsea's 1-0 FA Cup quarter-final win on Wednesday and Newcastle defender Robbie Elliott was sent off.

"My view without going into any individual case is that we are all as managers to fight against it," Wenger said.

"Sometimes the players dive just because they pushed the ball too far and the only way to get something out of the situation is to dive.

"We are all managers who can never say that one of our players has not dived. Nobody can say that in our league.

"I can say that when my team are not involved I am 100% against it."

Arsenal were at the centre of a diving controversy two seasons ago when midfielder Robert Pires won a penalty against Portsmouth to seal a home draw.
NO MORE WAR

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Wenger wants refs to ban divers
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 01:21:05 PM »
i totally agree. suspend the bitches. diving does not belong in the sport and is what n. americans hate so much bout it. i dont even know wehre diving starts. do they like teach them when they get to the pros or sumthin cuz when i played soccer for like 10 yrs when i was young noone would dive or doing anything like that. there should be suspensions to prevent diving and incidents like the one rivaldo had at the last world cup. pathetic display of acting. i say give them a warning obviously first but then after a certain number of warnings like 2 or so suspend them.

Jome

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 01:21:30 PM »
Says the man with Pires and Reyes on his team.  :grumpy:

Sweet & Tender Hooligan

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 01:29:41 PM »
For once i agree with Wenger. Coming from a person who supports a team with Petrov in it may sound strange. But doesnt a blatant dive usually warrant a yellow card anyway?....

The Maestro

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 01:39:11 PM »
Says the man with Pires and Reyes on his team.  :grumpy:

i don't think reyes is much of a diver, he gets kicked off the park most of the time.

pires i agree with tho, especially that pen he "won" kicking stephanovic (sp?) i think it was.
NO MORE WAR

wcsoldier

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 02:59:12 AM »
Lol at Pires diving , this dude has been the nicest dude on the court, never said shit when he hurt by defenders ...... He may dive 1 or 2 times but Inzaghi, Ravanelli, Djorkaeff are/were divers, Pires hell no

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 04:13:16 AM »
Pires will be known as a diver because of that stephanovic incident.

I agree with wenger but i also believe it will be very hard to prove what is a dive and what isnt. For me recent incidents involving lee bowyer, sean wright phillips and del horno were all dives but the bbc pundits all claimed they werent as they were just trying to avoid contact with the player. Where as they called drogba a diver because he exaggerated his fall while been pulled back. Its up to the ref to get it correct when it happens, i think more importantly the FA need to look at harrasment of referes, players from all teams need to show the ref more respect.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

da_notorious_mack

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 07:31:17 AM »
yeah the thing that gets me tho..is theres already rule against diving in place...there jus too inconsistent...

take the liverpool vs benfica game 4 example

crouch goes down...gets a yellow for diving....benfica get a freekick...tv replays show contact...so was he divin?..or jus had too much momentum?...

10 mins later gonzalez goes down...the ref dosent award the freekick...so surely he was diving too?...an t.v replays shown there was no contact...

we dont need new rules..jus need to stamp out inconsistencies....

Don Seer

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 07:33:15 AM »
i wanna ban foreign managers and owners..

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 01:04:04 PM »
Lol at Pires diving , this dude has been the nicest dude on the court, never said shit when he hurt by defenders ...... He may dive 1 or 2 times but Inzaghi, Ravanelli, Djorkaeff are/were divers, Pires hell no

quit sticking up for the french!  :laugh:

i.m.o. people will always do whatever they can to gain an advantage, it's human nature.

it's like when you're playing yourself and the defender is running at pace towards his own goalie, don't u give him a little shove in the back to hope they collide?  i know you've done it.

it's just like liverpool's goal in the semi-finals of the CL last year.

did garcia run to the ref saying, "yeah he cleared it just in time" or did he run away claiming a goal he himself prolly knew wasn't one?

diving is just the same as that, which is just the same as kicking the ball away to waste time in the last 10mins if you're winning.

these are all ways to gain an advantage to win, which is only human nature and I can't see disappearing any time soon.
NO MORE WAR

wcsoldier

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 11:31:38 PM »

This has nothing to do with Pires... Djorkaeff is French too  ;), though I gotta agree with the rest of your post  8)

da_notorious_mack

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 03:37:08 AM »

i.m.o. people will always do whatever they can to gain an advantage, it's human nature.

it's like when you're playing yourself and the defender is running at pace towards his own goalie, don't u give him a little shove in the back to hope they collide?  i know you've done it.

did garcia run to the ref saying, "yeah he cleared it just in time" or did he run away claiming a goal he himself prolly knew wasn't one?

diving is just the same as that, which is just the same as kicking the ball away to waste time in the last 10mins if you're winning.

these are all ways to gain an advantage to win, which is only human nature and I can't see disappearing any time soon.

it did cross the line.... :P

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 03:44:23 AM »

Couldnt agree more.

wilz

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 06:17:04 AM »
we don't see as much diving in scottish football, a few of the foriegners try it (mostly rangers celtic and hearts). Then again it is Scottish nature sort (ie kick the shit outta them)  out of someone who is blatanly cheating.

I thought it was mostly foriegners that dived, but there has been an increase in the number of english people diving.

[img]