Author Topic: Who believes Jimi Hendrix is the Greatest Guitarist ever?  (Read 564 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Who believes Jimi Hendrix is the Greatest Guitarist ever?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2006, 01:09:16 PM »
Hendrix is the standard. 

Can't be. 1 reason is, Hendrix was never around to show the diversity of his playing. 2nd, by being the best, does that mean he's the fastest player? can he play all forms of guitar? I.E. Classical, Country, Jazz, and to be the best, he'd have to be the best in all three of those fields. That's impossible to judge. Playing a chord with your teeth doesn't make you the best. Also, in the form of rap... people say Eminem, rakim, or ras kass is the best rapper. You could no longer proove that. Because, who's to say there's not some person underground who could be better. Same with Jimi. In order to be the best you have to set some standard that "QUALIFIES" him the best. Not just because he's jimi hendrix. Music is the beginning of the standard. But, all else is cannot pe prooven. I'm not knocking Jimi. however, if you talk to any guitarist who teaches they will tell you, it can't be prooven.

I think it's pretty much a given that we are talking subjectively. Jimi is considered the best guitairt subjectively. Artistic skill cannot be judged objectively. It's like judging two painters. You can't objectively say that Picasso was better than Michaelamgelo. To an extent you can objectively determine who can create more life like images as it pertains to what each is drawing, just like you can compare guitar speed, but as far as over all talent it can't be done.

Trauma-san

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2006, 02:26:46 PM »
Hendrix is the standard. 

Can't be. 1 reason is, Hendrix was never around to show the diversity of his playing. 2nd, by being the best, does that mean he's the fastest player? can he play all forms of guitar? I.E. Classical, Country, Jazz, and to be the best, he'd have to be the best in all three of those fields. That's impossible to judge. Playing a chord with your teeth doesn't make you the best. Also, in the form of rap... people say Eminem, rakim, or ras kass is the best rapper. You could no longer proove that. Because, who's to say there's not some person underground who could be better. Same with Jimi. In order to be the best you have to set some standard that "QUALIFIES" him the best. Not just because he's jimi hendrix. Music is the beginning of the standard. But, all else is cannot pe prooven. I'm not knocking Jimi. however, if you talk to any guitarist who teaches they will tell you, it can't be prooven.

You asked, "what's the standard" and I'm just telling you, Jimi Hendrix made himself the standard by which all other guitarists are measured.  You defeated yourself with your own objection.

Shallow's ultimately right, of course it's all subjective to who we are what we like, etc.  8 times out of 10, though, you're gonna get "Jimi Hendrix" when you ask someone who was the best guitarist.  That says something. 

Just Another Sunny day in California

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Twin Turbos....yeeeee
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2006, 05:23:37 PM »
What's the standard to which you can judge a person on who's the best? There's no way to know. Shredding as they call it, cannot be judged as being great. Because, alot of guitarist can shred. (Eddie van halen, Steve vai, and Malmsteen). Classical guitar is the hardest to play. I can't say he was the best. It's all in what you believe. I happened to think Guthrie Govan is one of the best guitarist to live. Jimi could play. But... he was also a showman and could do revolutionary things with sounds. That doesn't make you the best. So again, what's the standard?

Jimi was light years ahead of his time.  He did what most guitarists did in the 80s only doing it 15 years earlier.  Give the man some fuckin credit and respect, you say say Jimi didn't show any diversity are you kidding me??  Jimi's roots stem from rock, jazz, blues, & country.  Jimi began his career as a jazz & blues player playing behind Little Richard.  He did everything from rock, jazz, blues, to even folk so don't argue that Jimi didn't have any diversity to him.  Now i know you have your opinion but lets think of a better agruement for Jimi not being considered the GOAT.  I believe Rolling Stone named him #1, i'm not saying just because they said he was, he automatically is but it does say something.  Jimi passed away in 1970 lets try to imagine what he would have done in the 70s or 80s, considering Jimi was so damn talented before his passing.
Oh I like this one... One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy's sayin', "Whadda ya want from me?

Trauma-san

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2006, 05:33:46 AM »
Yeah, who's seen that performance of Jimi Hendrix acoustic?  He plays "Long Train Coming" or something like that, I only saw it once.  Jimi played, and could play, everything.  Even something like "Highway Child" is kind of country sounding.  DEFINATELY a very diverse well rounded guitarist.  He pretty much played equal measures rock blues jazz and folk, and then other stuff from there. 

Just Another Sunny day in California

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Twin Turbos....yeeeee
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2006, 02:22:18 PM »
Yeah, who's seen that performance of Jimi Hendrix acoustic?  He plays "Long Train Coming" or something like that, I only saw it once.  Jimi played, and could play, everything.  Even something like "Highway Child" is kind of country sounding.  DEFINATELY a very diverse well rounded guitarist.  He pretty much played equal measures rock blues jazz and folk, and then other stuff from there. 

true that
Oh I like this one... One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy's sayin', "Whadda ya want from me?

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2006, 07:11:38 PM »
I dont think there's no question that there never has been a guitarist better than Jimi. This guy changed the sound of rock music FOREVER and he couldnt even read or write music.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2006, 11:32:24 PM »
that was actually true to and extent ^ he knew how to read a few notes but like SRV said once if he tried to think about the music (reading notes) it wouldn't come out as well, he played all from his heart.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Crown

• 'G'
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2006, 02:06:40 AM »
Jimi played fuckin sitars and shit, he totally redifined playing the guitar, like rakim changed hip hop from the RunDMC/LLCOOLJ style of rap.
WE DON'T TALK TO POLICE!

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2006, 05:21:40 AM »
Jimi played fuckin sitars and shit, he totally redifined playing the guitar, like rakim changed hip hop from the RunDMC/LLCOOLJ style of rap.

Sitars were brought into the mainstream by George Harrison and Brian Jones, so I'd give them credit for bringing that onto the Western music scene.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

xGlimpsex

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I. Will. Not. Lose.
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2006, 08:00:11 AM »
I don't know. You got Slash and Dimebag Darrell up there.
Hip Hop: Live, Breathe, Sleep it.

Trauma-san

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2006, 09:39:13 AM »

Sitars were brought into the mainstream by George Harrison and Brian Jones, so I'd give them credit for bringing that onto the Western music scene.

Yup.  George Harrison is hella underrated.  He also was the first to use a version of the Wah pedal, he called his the volume tone control pedal.  A few changes, and they had the wah pedal.