Author Topic: anyone here checkin for john mayer ?  (Read 283 times)

coola

anyone here checkin for john mayer ?
« on: April 03, 2006, 06:21:48 AM »
my friend introduced me to his live album today... so far so good, my kind of music..

anyone who hasnt heard any of his stuff, check out www.johnmayer.com

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re: anyone here checkin for john mayer ?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 07:01:05 AM »
He's one hell of a guitar player but you wouldn't be able to tell by his albums and singles. I've seen some live performances of his, and even his appearance on Chappelle show was good.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Throwback

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 08:07:03 AM »
jea i have his last album. its pretty dope IMHO.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 10:48:11 AM »
his song daughters touches my heart(no homo).

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 03:14:19 PM »
He's too light in the loafers for me.  I'm a guy, and he seems like a 'sweet' guy, to me.  If another GUY thinks you're 'sweet', you're probably too fucking sweet.  Notice I'm not saying there's anything particularly wrong with being sweet, just that if a girl says "awww, you're sweet", that's great, but if you're so sweet and nice that other guys think you are, you took it too far. 

I'm not that impressed by his guitar playing.  Sure, he's good, but he's also got the silver spoon thing going on.  I saw him play somewhere where he was playing "Little Wing" or something, and he got this distorted, manufactured ugly 'blues' look on his face that about made me throw up, because it seemed so fake.  Just my opinion, I don't really have a problem with him but I find no enjoyment in his music. 

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 05:26:29 PM »
hes good, just a little boring sometimes...

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 05:32:21 PM »
hes good, just a little boring sometimes...

Yea... check out his live version of "neon". Showcases that guitarwork

chronic01

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • StR8 Westcoast
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 06:08:34 PM »
john mayer is dope
but i do agree hes got some weird ass faces when he plays live but he does it at every concert or live event

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 11:40:42 PM »
i don't get the hoopla about his playing....he's not really anything THAT special....every thing i hear about him being good at this and that , i find that Henry Garza from Los Lonely boys does , and does better

john mayer=michael bolton of guitar virtuosos

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Trauma-san

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 06:53:16 PM »
No way I'd ever consider him a virtuoso.  The guy can obviously play, but so can about every guitarist in about every band... like the guy from Los Lonely Boys you just mentioned. 

Plus, name 1 Mayer lick that was memorable... then think about the opening riff to "Heaven".  Memorable, exciting, etc. that's what makes a great guitar player. 

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 07:18:24 PM »
i like john mayer.

good music.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 10:06:28 PM »
No way I'd ever consider him a virtuoso.  The guy can obviously play, but so can about every guitarist in about every band... like the guy from Los Lonely Boys you just mentioned. 

Plus, name 1 Mayer lick that was memorable... then think about the opening riff to "Heaven".  Memorable, exciting, etc. that's what makes a great guitar player. 

lol exactly that's why he's the michael bolton of guitar "virtosos"

Henry garza=the next great guitar hero anyone see a live performance of Los Lonely boys? if you have their cd or seen their dvd.....those brothers can PLAY

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 10:23:59 PM »
All I saw was them open the vma's or the grammies or something with "Heaven".  I liked that song... and they were playing a medley, I think they had the black eyed peas playing, then all of a sudden, in the dark "bwahhh daaa daaa dup...." and then broke into it.  I was amazed to see there was only 3 of them.  Like I said, intro to that song is hot.  I'm sure the rest of their album is probably as good or better. 

chronic01

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • StR8 Westcoast
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 11:24:23 PM »
i remember the first time i heard neon live i  was pretty impressed