Author Topic: BBQ'd meat linked with cancer  (Read 527 times)

WestCoasta

BBQ'd meat linked with cancer
« on: April 03, 2006, 02:11:55 PM »
A compound formed when meat is charred at high temperatures -- as in barbecue -- encourages the growth of prostate cancer in rats, researchers reported on Sunday.

Their study, presented at a meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research, may help explain the link between eating meat and a higher risk of prostate cancer.

It also fits in with other studies suggesting that cooking meat until it chars might cause cancer.

The compound, called PhIP, is formed when meat is cooked at very high temperatures, Dr. Angelo De Marzo and colleagues at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore reported.

It appears to both initiate and promote the growth of prostate cancer in rats, they said.

"We stumbled across a new potential interaction between ingestion of cooked meat in the diet and cancer in the rat," De Marzo said in a statement.

"For humans, the biggest problem is that it's extremely difficult to tell how much PhIP you've ingested, since different amounts are formed depending on cooking conditions."

For the study, Yatsutomo Nakai and other members of De Marzo's team mixed PhIP into food given to rats for up to eight weeks, then studied the animals' prostates, intestines and spleens. They found genetic mutations in all the organs after four weeks.

I thought of that shit before, about all the shit that must go up on ur meat from the charcoal smoke  :P

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: BBQ'd meat linked with cancer
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 02:18:53 PM »
doesn't suprise me, but eating healthy is stupid so I'll continue to not give a shit
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

coola

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 03:54:19 PM »
yeah, my parents always told me charcoaled meat can cause cancer...

what i dont understand is why people charcoal their meat ? goto have it medium-rare..

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 03:59:37 PM »
yeah, my parents always told me charcoaled meat can cause cancer...

what i dont understand is why people charcoal their meat ? goto have it medium-rare..
Yeah, I usually have my meat with a thin layer of pink. But once in a while I like that shit burnt to a crisp. 8)

Sikotic™

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 04:03:14 PM »
Fuck it, I BBQ everything. Can't stop, won't stop eh-eh-eh-eh.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 04:09:19 PM »
what doesn't cause cancer?

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 04:11:48 PM »
what doesn't cause cancer?
The only thing that dosen't cause cancer is caner. Because it doesn't cause it, it is it...Think about it.

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 04:42:59 PM »

Vegetables and fruit dont cause cancer but its a serious situation when a packet of crisps contains 500 times the levels of acralymide as the world health authority says is a maximum for drinking water. Acrylamide which is created via the potato chip being cooked, our health authority classified acrylamide as a medium risk carcinogen. However from the millions of results which appear on google it would appear that Aspertame is the biggest poison. I am also very careful now to read E numbers, its all of this poison in the foods and in fizzy drinks which is giving us cancer. T

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 04:50:17 PM »
on the whole i try to avoid processed foods, i cook almost all my meals from scratch, they're better for you and taste better

I don't really eat snacks either well except for toast

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 06:26:43 PM »
on the whole i try to avoid processed foods, i cook almost all my meals from scratch, they're better for you and taste better

same here. plus it keeps all the nutrients lost in the packaging and processing process.

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 10:48:47 PM »

Wish I was more like that, but this is America, we are all pigs, and we're gonna be the ones to all die first of cancer

Jip

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 12:19:40 AM »
stop eating BBQ?

..please...

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 08:18:24 AM »
hell aint no one gonna stop me from eating my Carne Asada  ;)

K A I N

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 08:50:49 AM »
Only white people get cancer  ;D

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 11:12:52 AM »