Author Topic: Will Hard Rock and Heavy Metal ever make a comeback. Billboard sees metal rise.  (Read 2478 times)

Drudge

• Muthafuckin' OG
Canibal Corpse, and the group Demon Hunter have entered in the Billboard charts first week runs. However, in my opinion, its not enought to say its a "comeback". Demon Hunter sold 6000 the first week and Canibal Corpse sold similar this past week. As a die hard fan of metal. It will never make a return like the glam days of metal, until they stop pushing overt satanism. Even though its part of the 'schickt' alot of these bands just blaspheme which stops alot of fans from becoming metal heads. Mtv, did a quick news hit on the metal scene this past week and stated "Metal is on the rise" they went on to say further, that "five heavy metal albums have entered the Billboard chart in two months time" and mtv headbangers ball viewing has continued to grow at "a rapid rate".

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
When was Heavy Metal ever really there to begin with, chart wise? If you count the goofballs in the 80s like Motley or Poison then fine but not many consider Hair Metal real Metal. Other tan that Metallica was probably one of the only real metal bands to break big on the charts. Slayer and Pantera never really charted too well, and Sabbath was always an underground sleeper seller eventhough all the Rock fans know them. Now if you want to count Zeppelin and GnR (which many metal don't) then you have a couple bands, but there was never a time when Metal took over the music scene (execpet Hair Metal) like Grunge did in the early 90s, or like rap did recently.

Edit- I just realized the title said Hard Rock as well and well in that case I'm certain a harder style of Rock will eventually make a comeback and shine on the charts, but hard core Metal has never shinmed to begin with. Metallica didn't break until the polished their sound up a bit, the popular Sabbath tunes aren't nearly has hard as some of the hard stuff, and other than that the closest thing to a Hard Rock comeback would be an AC/DC style band.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 07:49:51 AM by Shallow »

Diabolical

Demon Hunter are a Christian band.

I don't even have to say anything else because I think I've proved my point in those 6 words but i will, Cannibal Corpse have never mentioned any religion in their music let alone Satanisim.

Jip

• Muthafuckin' Don!
its all about indie now, there isnt a hude mainsteam following for hard rock and metal

indie is the new mainstream band thing

Diabolical

Indie has been mainstream since the 80s.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 01:12:35 PM by Cop Killla »

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
indie is the shit.

Diabolical

One of my lecturers plays in an indie band. http://www.terradiablo.com

Drudge

• Muthafuckin' OG
When was Heavy Metal ever really there to begin with, chart wise? If you count the goofballs in the 80s like Motley or Poison then fine but not many consider Hair Metal real Metal. Other tan that Metallica was probably one of the only real metal bands to break big on the charts. Slayer and Pantera never really charted too well, and Sabbath was always an underground sleeper seller eventhough all the Rock fans know them. Now if you want to count Zeppelin and GnR (which many metal don't) then you have a couple bands, but there was never a time when Metal took over the music scene (execpet Hair Metal) like Grunge did in the early 90s, or like rap did recently.

Edit- I just realized the title said Hard Rock as well and well in that case I'm certain a harder style of Rock will eventually make a comeback and shine on the charts, but hard core Metal has never shinmed to begin with. Metallica didn't break until the polished their sound up a bit, the popular Sabbath tunes aren't nearly has hard as some of the hard stuff, and other than that the closest thing to a Hard Rock comeback would be an AC/DC style band.

Good point, and actually hard to disagree. However, Judas Priest had some hits. It seems to be picking up. Lacuna Coil is said to be in the top 20 on Billboard. See www.pitriff.com I've noticed alot of "hardcore bands breaking in the billboard lately.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
i really think traditional metal is giong to get big again , i mean one of the hottest bands out right now is the band in my signature avenged sevenfold who have that nostalgic iron maiden/guns n roses/pantera/oldschool metallica feel mixed with a little bit of modern day punk and screamo

then you got bands like coheed and cambria doing songs like "welcome home" which is very old school metal

also i think solos are coming back again too, when you listen to modern rock radio you're starting to hear a little bit more and more of them

here's a few hard rock/metal bands i think will start to blow or get bigger than they are now

lacuna coil -c'mon with that hot chick fronting the band
children of bodom- sick guitar licks. SICK
avenged sevenfold-even sicker guitar licks

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
If you count the goofballs in the 80s like Motley

i'll actually give motley some credit, i mean apart from vince neil's voice, they were actually a very talented band

tommy lee-excellent drummer
mick mars-had some awesome riffs and solos.....one fine piece of work that stands out is "god bless the children of the beast"
nikki sixx-wrote  ALOT of those songs

hate their image, but you can't really deny them as artists on their core earlier albums

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Metallica didn't break until the polished their sound up a bit

wrong

....and justice for all

that was their LEAST polished album and it stands behind the black album as their second best selling album. it actually charted very high when it debuted, was nominated for a grammy, and the lone video for 'one' was voted number 1 every day for like two and a half months on an ealier version of TRL

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Justice didn't take off until after the Black Album hit it huge. It was 2x platinum before, not bad, but in the 80s boom, noithing special. Since the Black Album was released it reached 7x platinum. Even Master of Puppets ended up selling 6 million after the Black album. Plus, One was pretty polished in the beginning of the song, which probably hooked a lot of kids.

i'll actually give motley some credit, i mean apart from vince neil's voice, they were actually a very talented band

mick mars-had some awesome riffs and solos.....one fine piece of work that stands out is "god bless the children of the beast"

hate their image, but you can't really deny them as artists on their core earlier albums

I don't hate Motley, I'm just saying that most don't consider them metal.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Justice didn't take off until after the Black Album hit it huge. It was 2x platinum before, not bad, but in the 80s boom, noithing special. Since the Black Album was released it reached 7x platinum. Even Master of Puppets ended up selling 6 million after the Black album. Plus, One was pretty polished in the beginning of the song, which probably hooked a lot of kids.

I don't hate Motley, I'm just saying that most don't consider them metal.

like who? they might have been poppy but they've ALWAYS been associated with metal

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
One was pretty polished in the beginning of the song, which probably hooked a lot of kids.

one was no more polished than battery, fight fire with fire, sanitarium, the phantom lord break down, and fade to black......if anything it was less polished

wherever i may roam=polished

Trauma-san

Hard Rock and Heavy Metal will never see a comeback because they ignore melody.  Without melody, music isn't that attractive to the general public.  Even Rap has melody.  Even Disco had melody.