Author Topic: Question About Using A Beat For A Mixtape  (Read 69 times)

Shawn Nutt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Question About Using A Beat For A Mixtape
« on: April 06, 2006, 06:05:39 PM »
i was talkin to a friend about a mixtape, and he said that we had to use free or original beats, cuz we had to get permission from the producer first... i agreed, and we dropped the idea... but today i downloaded the new spit fiya mixtape on the main page, and he had an eminem beat on there... i doubt he got permission, so are u aloud to use another producers beat on your album as long as u credit them? without permission?

also, game used 50's beats on his mixtapes and was selling them... obviously game didnt have permission so whats goin on here? i thought u couldnt sell another persons work.... cuz theres a shitload of beats we'd like to rap over, just dont understand this situation here....

BigBDrugStores

Re: Question About Using A Beat For A Mixtape
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 06:54:42 PM »
if you sell the cd you arent suposed to use other beats on it but if you sell it as a mixtape it really doesnt matter. if you record an album and sell it in a store than you will have to get premission.

187Proof

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 07:13:38 PM »
This is why on mixtapes you always see the disclaimer that you're really "buying the cd case and the artwork, etc....the cd itself is free and for promotional use only".......

We Fly High

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 07:24:57 PM »
This is why on mixtapes you always see the disclaimer that you're really "buying the cd case and the artwork, etc....the cd itself is free and for promotional use only".......

yup.

mixtapes are pretty much illegal, thats why there are busts sometimes at the swapmeet, i think fammart in SD got jacked not too recently ago.. but i mean its nothing to really worry about, if you're asking this question, then you probably dont need to worry about jacking beats.

Shawn Nutt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 08:49:26 PM »
so its safe... to take, say, an eminem beat, rap over it, put it on a cd, and give it out for free? thats what i'd be doing.. gonna make a mixtape-ish thing... i made one track and its siiiiiick, my skool is goin nuts for more, i gots to do it

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 09:07:38 PM »
Especially if you're distributing the shit for free it'll be fine.  Also, if its a local thing, I doubt Eminem would even find out about it.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 09:12:52 PM »
You can easly get away with giving away mixtapes for free. I'm not even sure if that's illegall depending on where you live. Like 187 proof said, people will sell cover work etc. or even a meaningless object (like a fucking sticker) and say the cd is free or for promotional purposes only.