Author Topic: where do y'all put biggy among the greatest?  (Read 4503 times)

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Re: where do y'all put biggy among the greatest?
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2006, 01:05:07 PM »
to me the best was pac, my favourite rapper is snoop, but i have no problems with cats who think biggy is better, nuff cats beleive that, biggy had an amazing way of flowing his thoughts together whether it be a club jam or a serious jam, biggy is in my top 5, damn people cant deny biggy, if your speaking about how death put him to new heights, than people can argue that point alot more for pac, even though i beleive his the best

peace...........biggy gotta be given his props, top 5 of all time

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2006, 01:39:38 PM »
1.Jay-Z
2.Biggie
3.Tupac

there is no way you can rate biggie as the 2nd best rapper ever.

he just isn't - I can't really put forward an argument against it apart from the fact I can name 5 rappers off the top of my head more deserving of the top 5 G.O.A.T. spots.

#2 is just as over-generous
NO MORE WAR

Sweet & Tender Hooligan

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2006, 03:11:00 PM »
Top 10.......Wouldnt get in my top 5.......ever.

The Maestro

Tha_shiznit

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2006, 04:29:33 PM »
He's possible top 5, most likely top 10. I can't really see how he could be better than Pac - theres just so much more Pac to listen to, plus like half of one of Biggies albums is filled with shit. But i agree that his flow is damn good, and some of his songs are pretty amazing. I guess its just my opinion, but i would say that Pac is just much better, cant really substantiate it that much, but agree with what most of you have been saying.
I dunno how someone could say Jay-Z greatest rapper of all time though  ???
I'm a shit judge, but he wouldnt make my top 25, and if so pretty much on only one or two songs, but then i dont have reasonable doubt yet...

ecrazy

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2006, 04:49:44 PM »
Me, being from the Westcoast, listening to both of them before they died, i liked Biggie more, I really did not dig tupac until after he died, but even then Biggie > Tupac IMO
thats just me, and i still feel that way

Eihtball

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2006, 04:55:24 PM »
As an MC, Biggie is easily Top 10, and probably above Pac.  I like Pac as much as everyone else, but Biggie was an infinitely better MC - I will never forget hearing "Unbelievable" the first time and listening to him flow and thinking "Gat DAYUM!" to myself.  Listen to the way he just pops off rhymes in rapid succession and yet he still manages to neatly assort every syllable into a clever metaphor and maintain a crystal-clear flow all at once - can you imagine the kinda breath control it takes to do shit like that?  How many other MCs' can you name (Pac included) that would be able to pull off those kinds of verbal acrobatics without tripping themselves up and degenerating into adlibing and mumbling?

Pac was, however, vastly superior to Biggie as a lyricist.  And Biggie could be an incredible storyteller, but Pac's charisma and mic presence were second to none.  When Pac rapped, he didn't need to draw me in with complex flows and wordplay - he just wowed me with the raw emotion and introspectiveness that marked almost every verse.  And of course, he had that distinctive God-like voice that made you think you were really hearing a street prophet in the flesh.  Even when he was saying shit that cliched or not all that profound, Pac's personality just radiated from every bar - there are so few other rappers that had his mic presence.

Personally, I've always liked Pac better, but I ain't gonna deny that Biggie was ill as fuck.

herpes

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2006, 06:30:58 PM »

and, you'd rather have a wall-eyed jabba the hut spittin lyrics with a cheeseburger in his mouth than a Westsider Rider?
this is one of the dumbest things i have ever read on here.  Just the fact you base a rapper on his looks is suspect. 

regimemob510

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2006, 07:29:09 PM »
#2, he's one of the best ever to bless the mic... but for me, 2pac is #1 for the simple fact that he was an activist and used his talent as a voice for millions apart of the struggle.  that alone solidifies him for the #1 spot.

Fressh_Deini

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • G-Funk
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2006, 03:21:55 AM »
1.Jay-Z
2.Biggie
3.Tupac
What are you smoking?

This is basically it...Tupac had the best lyrics but his flow is average, Biggie has the best flow but his lyrics weren't always top notch, Jay-Z has pretty much the total package, he has a sick flow and can rhyme with the best of them, but it's just my opinion, no need to hate
Sorry but if that is you top 3 I recommend you to listen to some Ghostface, GZA, E-40, Outkast, Nas etc. etc.

mrceo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • More Greens Than The Jolly Green Giant
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2006, 11:09:25 AM »
1.Jay-Z
2.Biggie
3.Tupac
What are you smoking?

This is basically it...Tupac had the best lyrics but his flow is average, Biggie has the best flow but his lyrics weren't always top notch, Jay-Z has pretty much the total package, he has a sick flow and can rhyme with the best of them, but it's just my opinion, no need to hate
Sorry but if that is you top 3 I recommend you to listen to some Ghostface, GZA, E-40, Outkast, Nas etc. etc.
You just named some of my favorite rappers in the game, I am aware of their abilities but to me Jay-Z is the ultimate rapper

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2006, 12:52:38 PM »
good but overrated.

i would say overrated when comparing him to pac or saying that he's the best ever. his voice and flow is so smooth and he was a great stroy teller but i think he went to early and that limited his longevity in the game and that hurts his stake as the greatest ever. a top 10 IMO.
Agree. My main problem with BIG is he only had one classic album. For him to be called GOAT or even put in top five off one classic album despite his influence in his short years is crazy to me. Rakim, BDK, G Rap, Pac, Scarface, Cube-I could never put BIG over those guys based off catalogue and I am talkin quality not quantity.

Co-sign RBXtra's post on the differences, strength, and weaknesses of Pac and BIG. Personally BIG is in my top 20.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 12:55:06 PM by makaveli11 »
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

Elevz

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2006, 03:08:37 PM »
What the hell is wrong with the people on this forum? Have you ever paid attention to what 2Pac brought to the table as what's seen as his most successful cd of all time, All Eyez On Me? That CD had some good beats and it was like real smooth, but the raps were rather simple and I dare calling them weak. How some of you label it "common sense" that 2Pac should be above Biggie at any time, is beyond me.

To me, with Ready To Die Biggie proved that he's one of the smoothest rappers of all time. No one could rhyme like that. It wasn't extremely complicated, in fact his style was rather simple, but it was so effective. That album has to be (one of) the greatest gangsterrap album(s) of all time. At least, to me it really is without a doubt. Life After Death does have some great songs on it, but it has way too many average tracks and even some filler material, to be even considered a classic. But with that in the back of my mind, 2Pac just couldn't see Biggie when it comes to rapping ability. Pac just had the charisma, he made himself loved by saying some semi-thoughtful things later on on his records. To me, even someone like Killah Priest belongs way above 2Pac on "the list". 2Pac just wasn't a very good rapper.

Biggie: maybe top 5, but certainly top 10
2Pac: somewhere top 30.

Don't hate, it's just my opinion that I'm sharing. Peace.

Eihtball

« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2006, 03:35:32 PM »
What the hell is wrong with the people on this forum? Have you ever paid attention to what 2Pac brought to the table as what's seen as his most successful cd of all time, All Eyez On Me? That CD had some good beats and it was like real smooth, but the raps were rather simple and I dare calling them weak. How some of you label it "common sense" that 2Pac should be above Biggie at any time, is beyond me.

To me, with Ready To Die Biggie proved that he's one of the smoothest rappers of all time. No one could rhyme like that. It wasn't extremely complicated, in fact his style was rather simple, but it was so effective. That album has to be (one of) the greatest gangsterrap album(s) of all time. At least, to me it really is without a doubt. Life After Death does have some great songs on it, but it has way too many average tracks and even some filler material, to be even considered a classic. But with that in the back of my mind, 2Pac just couldn't see Biggie when it comes to rapping ability. Pac just had the charisma, he made himself loved by saying some semi-thoughtful things later on on his records. To me, even someone like Killah Priest belongs way above 2Pac on "the list". 2Pac just wasn't a very good rapper.

Biggie: maybe top 5, but certainly top 10

Don't hate, it's just my opinion that I'm sharing. Peace.

Homie, if your sole excuse for ranking Pac so low is "All Eyez On Me", you best check yourself right now.  "All Eyez On Me" is overrated and FAR from Pac's best work, but even on that album, he was still extremely dope.  However, "Me Against The World" is the album that should be used to judge Pac...THAT album is his claim to fame as one of hip-hop's greatest.  If you ain't heard that yet, then you best not speak another word (somebody has it in the hookup spot, BTW).  And you claim that he only said "some semi-thoughtful things later on on his records"?  You must not listen to Pac at all if that's what you think.

Also, there's many ways of defining a great rapper.  Biggie was a better MC than Pac, I've said that, but Pac was a better lyricist, and quite possibly a better rapper overall.

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2006, 03:37:46 PM »

I don't hate you, but that shit is ridiculous.
NO MORE WAR

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2006, 03:42:59 PM »
all eyez on me is def overrated. IMO Me against the world and Makaveli the don were better albums.