Author Topic: MITCHY SLICK INTERVIEW.CHECK IT OUT!  (Read 180 times)

Crenshaw_blvd

MITCHY SLICK INTERVIEW.CHECK IT OUT!
« on: February 21, 2002, 11:14:59 PM »
Get a late pass if you don't know the name Mitchy Slick yet. Sure, the San Diego native has managed to stay under commercial radar, but that's no excuse for real cats not to know him by now. His current album, Trigeration Station, was one of the funkiest gangsta albums of 2001. In 2002, Mitchy is ready to become a household name. Currently, he is on touring the country with the Liks and has two albums in the chamber - ready to rock. Janky gives AHH the 411 on this rising star. - Jigsaw

So how does it feel to be on your first official tour with Tha Liks?

Mitchy: It's cool, I've gotten a lot of love from my boy Tash of Tha Liks, he basically took me and my folks under the wing and told me, "Mitchy you need to get on this tour to get some exposure so pack your bags and bring yo ass nigga."

So how does a West Coast Gangsta act fit in with the party boy antics of Tha Liks?

Mitchy: Well it's all hip hop, I consider West Coast hip hop, has the elements of gangsterism in it. Out on the West a lot of cats grow up gang bangin and that's all they see. The elements of hip hop are D.J.ing, Breakdancing, M.C.ing, Graffiti. Out in the West I think you would also have to include gangsterism. Some might not agree but hip hop is the voice of the streets and I rap about what I know, what I see, and what I've experienced. When you listen to early East Coast acts like Boogie Down Productions, Eric B & Rakim, and Kool G. Rap, they all had elements of gangsterism in their rhymes as well.

So how has the acceptance been at the venues towards your live performances?

Mitchy: Well a lot of cats really don't know me, this is my first album on an, independent label (Presidential) with no radio play, no video on B.E.T., or MTV strictly underground, by the time I get through with my performance alot of cats give me props saying things like "man you were good, and I've never heard of you before - where can I get your album." It's funny the other night this white kid came up to me after the show and said, "Mitchy Slick man you are a G, that was some serious shit you were spittin."

So are there any Mitchy Slick groupies trying to get back stage?

Mitchy: Well first of all, I always had fly honeys, me and my crew Rome, Kali, C.J. the whole WrongKind crew always keep fly honeys around all the time ask anyone that know us, even in high school way before this rap shit I always kept fly honeys with me so that ain't no thing. Most of the females really come to see the Tha Alkaholiks though it's a toss up between Tash and E-Swift as to who can pull the most honeys but I'm gone give that title to my boy Tashy Flashy... On a serious note most people think being on the road, different cites every night, different clubs, all kind of women must be the life to lead, but honestly I'd much rather be at home relaxing. I'm out on the road for the love of the this art we call Hip Hop. I know this is what it takes to build a true fan base. Right now everybody that's on tour is either sick, or about to get sick. We're all out here as men who respect each other and look out for each other as a family. You have to make decisions, do I go to the after party? or do I go back to the hotel and rest and make sure I'm ready for tomorrow nights performance. The other night we were in Houston and there was a serious after party going on for the Super Bowl, but I went back to the hotel because my voice was kind of hoarse and I needed my rest.

So who are some rap artist that you got respect for?

Mitchy: Well first off I respect all artists out there doing they thang, but there's a few cats that I really dig and wouldn't mind working with. Capone, I think that nigga is ill, of course my nigga E- 40 we got a song together called "Connected", Outkast I feel they're the epitome of true artists in this Hip Hop game and Devin the Dude I feel he is underrated but dope as fuck!

So do you consider your self a rapper now, with an album in stores and being on tour?

Mitchy: Nope!

Why not?

Mitchy: Check it out, first of all when it comes to this tour like I said I give much props to Tha Liks and my nigga Tash but me and my folks is financing every leg of this tour ourselves. We went and rented a R.V., stocked it full of food and sodas, packed our bags, met the tour bus, and basically made it happen on our own. I still haven't made a dime from the rap game, all money made off my album sales is going back into the promoting of my album. When I was recording my album I didn't have time to go to studio and relax and do my songs, I usually was on the run. leaving the dope spot going to the studio recording as many songs as possible and trying to make sure none of my cross town enemies was trying to Klack my head off! I feel on my album that was only a 70% effort, if I had the time that my nigga Xzibit has to work on a song or the time most cats in the game have to work on a song you would see a whole different type caliber of songs, you would see a whole different Mitchy Slick.

So why do you think so many cats on the underground are feeling your album?

I made sure to remember four concepts when it came to recording my album: Production, my nigga Cricet laced me with the beats, lyrics, originality, and concepts, if you got that in your album I guarantee you will have a good album it might not be a classic, but it will be a good album. Creating classics also takes time, which I usually don't have when it comes to being in the studio. I seen my nigga Xzibit work on one song for at least a month with Dr. Dre, man I would love to have that type of time to work on a song. Every song you hear on my album was made on my daily grind, because if I wasn't grinding I wouldn't have been able to pay for the studio time or I wouldn't"t be able to pay for that Denali sitting on 22's. One thing about me and my crew, we was already having money and cars too, long before we got into the rap shit.

So what can we expect from Mitchy Slick in the future?

Mitchy: When it comes to the rap game you can expect to hear some of the meanest rap songs with concepts you never thought of, from a Westcoast perspective. Good solid music is what I'm striving to make for the future, when I'm finally able to make some money in the rap game I feel my skills in the rap game will definitely be elevated to a higher level. Right now I'm just a regular nigga loving the game, respecting the game, and paying homage to the game, and all those things is what keeps me in the game whether I'm making money or not because everything I do is overseen by my nigga Bubba Cheeks who was lost to the game. When ever I have the time to concentrate on my music every day, and it becomes my daily grind and I can give up my other grind then, and only then, will I consider my self to be a rapper and I'll be able to do the things that real rappers do. But until that happens, I'm just a regular nigga...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »