Author Topic: Many Latinos oppose illegal immigraton....  (Read 482 times)

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Many Latinos oppose illegal immigraton....
« on: April 10, 2006, 06:27:33 PM »
These are the kind of Latinos that I like.....

Latinos divided on immigration issue
April 10, 2006 09:17 AM EDT

http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=4749422&nav=HMO6

Contrary to scenes of hundreds of thousands of united Latinos marching across the country in support of immigration reform, a sizable number of the ethnic group opposes the marches and strongly objects to illegal immigration.

But their voices have largely been muffled by the massive protests, which will continue Monday as tens of thousands of demonstrators are expected to take to the streets of Tucson, Phoenix and other cities nationwide.

They are voicing their support of a Senate bill that would give an estimated 11 million illegal immigrants living in the country a chance for U.S. citizenship.

"That's the objective of the marches -- to give the impression that all Latinos are for allowing the illegals to become citizens," said Phoenix resident Lionel De La Rosa. "Well, I'm not."

The 71-year-old Texas native and Vietnam veteran said he favors punitive measures more in line with the immigration bill passed by the U.S. House in December that would have made it a felony to be in the United States illegally.

"I'm for that 100 percent," he said. "As far as my Latino friends are concerned, they all agree on this."

A 2005 survey by the Pew Hispanic Center found that Latinos in general have favorable attitudes toward immigrants and immigration.

But when it comes to illegal immigration, significant numbers have negative views of illegal immigrants.

The survey found those feelings are strongest among middle-class and middle-age U.S.-born Latinos.

And though 68 percent of Latinos said they believe illegal immigrants help the economy by providing low-cost labor, nearly a quarter felt illegal immigrants hurt the economy by driving down wages.

U.S.-born Latinos looked even less favorably toward illegal immigrants than foreign-born Latinos.

More than a third of U.S.-born Latinos said illegal immigrants hurt the economy, compared with just 15 percent of foreign-born Latinos.

Latinos also are divided over whether to allow illegal immigrants to earn citizenship. the survey found.

Though 88 percent of foreign-born Latinos favored allowing illegal immigrants to earn citizenship, a smaller number of U.S.-born Latinos, 78 percent, said illegal immigrants should be allowed to do so.

Though views such as De La Rosa's are common among Latinos, they are rarely reflected among Latino leaders, said Steven Camarota, research director at the Center for Immigration Studies, a Washington, D.C. think tank that favors greater restrictions on immigration.

"It's easy to tap into the views of the intellectual class, but harder to tap into the views of the common folks," he said.

And because so much of the debate over illegal immigration comes off as anti-Hispanic, Latinos who favor greater restrictions on immigration are often reluctant to speak out.

"That's extremely off-putting," Camarota said. "Whatever their views, they keep it to themselves."

Many Latinos fear being ostracized for their negative views of illegal immigrants, said Phoenix resident Frank Barrios, 64.

"There are a lot of Hispanics that are upset about the illegal just the same way as the Anglo population," said Barrios, a third-generation Mexican-American who traces his family's roots in Arizona to the 1870s. "That group is larger than many people would believe."

South Phoenix resident Elsie Orta said she has no plans to participate in Monday's march in Phoenix.

"Other Hispanics have told me to go to the demonstrations," said Orta, 55, who said her mother is from New Mexico and her father's family traces its roots to Spain. "I think it's hurting them. They're making a fool of themselves."

The Phoenix native believes Arizona is under siege by illegal immigrants who speak Spanish, use public services and take jobs away from citizens. Illegal immigrants, she said, should be deported.

"They want us to cater to them all the time," she said. "They're coming over here, they're taking our jobs. And now, everything has to be in English and Spanish? I don't think so. They need to go back."

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Many Latinos oppose illegal immigraton....
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 06:29:15 PM »
This is truely some groundbreaking stuff.  You mean latinos have different opinions on certain issues?  WHOA!!!   :o

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 06:34:03 PM »
"They want us to cater to them all the time," she said. "They're coming over here, they're taking our jobs. And now, everything has to be in English and Spanish? I don't think so. They need to go back."

You have to admit she has a point.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 06:35:53 PM by Real American »

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 06:38:17 PM »
In your perfect world, you would want her to leave the U.S, after all odds are she's the daughter of an illegal immigrant.  And since when does everything have to be in English and Spanish?  This is really another case of fear being put in to many people's mind.  SPANISH IS NOT TAKING OVER.  I live in a city where it's 99% latino, and yet I don't even need to speak spanish to live in this city. 

OP

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 08:23:50 PM »
In your perfect world, you would want her to leave the U.S, after all odds are she's the daughter of an illegal immigrant.  And since when does everything have to be in English and Spanish?  This is really another case of fear being put in to many people's mind.  SPANISH IS NOT TAKING OVER.  I live in a city where it's 99% latino, and yet I don't even need to speak spanish to live in this city. 
What city do you live in? You're a latino right? What's you're opinion on this article?

Interesting. I would of thought the vast majority of latinos would be heavly against this, I guess this is just an opposing view. But I'm still undecided on whether to support or be against this bill.

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 08:24:57 PM »

Shes a Spanish Aunt Tom
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 08:30:30 PM by boycriedwolf619 »

OP

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 08:25:59 PM »

Shes a Spanish Uncle Tom
Aunt Tom?

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 08:31:00 PM »

Shes a Spanish Uncle Tom
Aunt Tom?
lol yea i guess thats the rite word

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 08:31:44 PM »

Shes a Spanish Uncle Tom
Yeah, It's not that she's against illegal immigration, but the way she comes across and how she says it. I bet she's a whitewashed bitch.

Vegasmac25

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 08:41:55 PM »
all i have to say is they could have taken care of illegal immigration a long time ago but they didnt and now it will be harder to control  it.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 08:51:59 PM »
What city do you live in? You're a latino right? What's you're opinion on this article?

Interesting. I would of thought the vast majority of latinos would be heavly against this, I guess this is just an opposing view. But I'm still undecided on whether to support or be against this bill.

I live in South Gate and yeah I'm a latino.  About the article, it's pretty obvioous that the people that have been living here for decades will have a different opinion on the immigration issue that someone who is a son of an illegal immigrant like me.  This is just a complicated issue that won't simply be solved by a bill.  Whatever bill that will be introduced and executed will have some doubters on both sides of the debate.  For example, part of the new bill they have proposed is that they will allow illegal immigrants that have been here and working for more than 5 years a shot at Residency and later Citizenship.  Sounds decent right?  How about the possible fraud that people that have been under those 5 years will want to lie and say they have been here for more than 5 years?  A whole different problem will come out of that part of the bill.  It's just too tough of an issue to simply say this is the right way to go about it.  And really what are the exact points of the debate?  Am I for illegal immigration?  Nope but I don't think it's humane to just to give the rights to cops to hunt down on people they think are illegal immigrants, I want to keep my civil liberties.  Nobody that's protesting is saying "Hey let's open the borders so we all can come in!" That's simply not the case at all.  Also, it's just impossible to kick everybody out and it's impossible to know the true effect of the illegal immigrant labor.  Of course each state has different amount of illegal immigrants in that state, but what if it got to the point where the pros of illegal immigrant outweight the negatives?  WHat if the negatives outweight the positives?  I doubt anyone has the answer to this, it's all speculation. 

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 09:01:08 PM »

Shes a Spanish Uncle Tom
Yeah, It's not that she's against illegal immigration, but the way she comes across and how she says it. I bet she's a whitewashed bitch.
yea thats what i was gettin @

BigG

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 09:07:04 PM »
someone who is a son of an illegal immigrant like me.

Im latino too and a son an an immigrant and i live here in Whittier. EVerybody i know opposes it. You see all those kids that protested (Walkout), most of them arent immigrants but it shows you how many people will be affected.

What they should do to reform is make it faster to become a citizen and maybe depend it on how much you make. Cause some people in central america make like 2 dollars a day and those people are usually the ones you find dead trying to cross the border. There is like 200 deaths a year of people trying to cross the border.

It takes almost 10 years to become a citizen and some people dont have that kind of time. And if it wasnt for my parents crossing the border illegaly, i wouldnt be here talking in the computer. Id be dirt poor in El Salvador probably woking in fields. So im gratefull that they crossed.
http://www.myspace.com/sickeyesbeats

^^Check out my westcoast beats

Trauma-san

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 10:43:28 PM »
Yeah, every 'legal' immigrant Latino I know opposes illegal immigration.  They feel that it's a slap in the face to them, since they worked so hard to come here by the book, legally. 

Ultimately, this is all a non-issue.  75% of americans support doing something about this problem in varying degrees, when it comes right down to it, illegal is illegal. 

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 10:46:12 PM »
Get ready to see a lot of illegal immigrants turn Legal Residents.  It's unavoidable now