Author Topic: MR CHEEKS ......  (Read 98 times)

Crenshaw_blvd

MR CHEEKS ......
« on: February 20, 2002, 07:43:39 AM »
First off, what have you noticed as the biggest difference between being a solo artist and being part of a crew?

You know just, more...creative ability. You don't think! You really don't have to tally up to many people, so it's real comfortable.

Your single, "Lights, Camera, Action" has been getting a lot of airplay. Did you expect solo success to come this quickly?

I didn't really know it was gonna hit them like that. It's definitely a blessing, you know what I mean. Word up, I didn't know it was gonna jump off like that, but you know what I mean, Jah blessed me, so I'm good right now.

How have things changed since the tragic death your former Lost Boyz member, Freaky Tah in 1999?

Well you know, we got on a bad roll for a minute. A lot of, umm, how can I say this? My man passed away and it was just real disturbing. A little disturbing world, you know what I mean. We had to get all our things back together and our heads back together, at the time he passed. It was like a lot of people wasn't...nobody was really f*cking with us on the real, letting us make our music. The label was taking a while to let us do our thing thing...so we went through some problems with the label and sh*t like that. Now it's getting back to the way it's supposed to be.

Did going through his death make it tougher for you, or did it make you more focused?

It made us more focused. We're stronger than all that, mentally, physically, and all of that.

You're from Jamaica, Queens originally. How often are you there now?

Every time I come to New York, I fly through the hood. I'm in Miami now. I'm chillin out there, I take a flight back to New York, do my business, then I hit up the hood. All my nigg*s from the hood come check me where I'm at.

On two of your more famous Lost Boyz songs, "Renee," and "Me and My Crazy World," you get pretty elaborate; are these based on true stories?

Yeah, no doubt.

Is there any future plans for the Lost Boyz, or are you taking a break from that right now?

We're working on an album right now. It's gonna be out in 2002, summertime. It's called Take The Streets Back.

You've been around since the mid '90s and put out multiple albums. How do you stay in the game?

I just concentrate on making good music. I don't follow no people, or whatever's going on, I just maintain to myself. I do what I like and I do what makes me feel good. My music comes out the way I feel, you know what I'm saying? I mean, God blessed me with a gift to make hot joints, so I guess I'm gonna just run with it like that. I don't really have a strategy. If there's a hot track, then I'll definitely go put something down that's hot for the track. You know what I mean, try to make it hot.

Where do you see yourself in a couple years from now-career, personal life, or anything else important to you?

I got my little label I'm working with now. So in the future I'm gonna have my groups out there doing they thing. Besides, I'll probably be behind the scenes doing some things. It's just longevity, my thing is longevity, so I'm gonna just be here. In the future you're definitely gonna see bigger and better things from Mr. Cheeks, LB Fam, and everything that I'm associated with.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »