Author Topic: Another new Ice Cube interview...  (Read 296 times)

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
Another new Ice Cube interview...
« on: April 15, 2006, 12:34:08 PM »
Ganked this from ballerstatus.net...It's a good read.Ice Cube: Fool, I'm A Vet
Friday - April 14, 2006

— by Willow

Motivated by creating worthwhile artistry, but more than that awareness, Ice Cube does it again. Making a proper entrance reminiscent to the early days of his career, he releases "Why we Thugs," the first single from his upcoming album Laugh Now, Cry Later, slated to drop June 6th on his Lynch Mob Records label.

Never one to shy away from controversy and always standing firm of his independence, Ice Cube's latest television venture "Black.White" on FX has some of everyone up in arms, yet more aware about race relations than they want to be. Without bringing in the comic relief Eddie Murphy did, as Mr. White on SNL, "Black.White" is spreading around all the dirt we try to sweep under the carpet.

Sparking racial tension with "Black.White" is not the first time, Ice Cube has had to speak out about his creativity. With comments made about Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King in his blockbuster hit "Barbershop," Ice Cube has the Al Sharpton's of the "movement" raising a stink about the portrayal of Blacks in front of millions of people. In a memorable and relaxed interview, Ice Cube discusses with Ballerstatus why he's still Steady Mobbin', the joy in consistently silencing the critics and why he'll always be that "Boy from the Hood."

Ballerstatus.net: You are causing quite the stir with "Black.White," so what is your ultimate goal with this project?

Ice Cube: To get people talking about race, a series of reflection about the very fact that race relations in America is still ever present. As long as people are silent about it, there is a lack of understanding about its effect on the culture.

Ballerstatus.net: But, like with "Barbershop," Black America is upset with you about very sensitive subject matter.

Ice Cube: I'm not too much concerned about what people think or say about me, because I have thick skin and I'm used to it. If I can open a dialogue about this and get the viewers to discuss that racial tensions still exists, then I feel good about that. From the booth to television, it has always been my goal get people discussing and taking the time to look introspectively. We all have our own prejudices and we can't act as if they don't exist.

Ballerstatus.net: 2006 marked how many years for you?

Ice Cube: I would say about 22.

Ballerstatus.net: Despite your monetary gain and all you've accomplished, there is still something that makes you that n---- Cube to your fans. What have you done differently to keep yourself connected?

Ice Cube: I live L.A., where everything is Hollywood and one big facade anyway, so conforming to something fake is not me. I'm always myself; I refused to let the game change me.

Ballerstatus.net: Your new album, Laugh Now, Cry Later makes how many albums for you?

Ice Cube: I haven't counted, but it's somewhere around seven solo.

Ballerstatus.net: At what point did you know making the transition from music to film would be a solid move? You could've very well been typecast as Doughboy.

Ice Cube: After the success of the "Boyz N The Hood," I looked around and knew there was no one in Hollywood like me. So, I knew I would make a mark if I just do what I do and be good at it. From that, I knew it would be a good business for me to get into.

Ballerstatus.net: This question is a little offbeat, but how in the world did you keep that scowl on your face throughout the entire movie "Torque?"

Ice Cube: The director kept saying "Come on Cube, give to me." I was like, "Damn man." He shot that movie real cartoon like and that is what the director wanted during the whole movie, so I gave it to him.

Ballerstatus.net: Just to be reflective for a moment, did you patch things up with Eazy-E before his passing?

Ice Cube: Yeah, we did. The last time I saw him was at the Tunnel in New York. He was out there with Bone Thugs N Harmony and we talked about doing another record together, because we had already gotten our situation together. At the time, he was going through that stuff with Dre and Death Row and I told him, "Man, if you talk to Dre and get him off that sh--, maybe we can do it." So, the last conversation I had with him was real positive. It's a trip how that worked out.

Ballerstatus.net: What do you think of his son as an artist?

Ice Cube: He's good, I think he raps better than his daddy. I don't know if he'll have the impact, but as far as a rapper, he got lyrics.

Ballerstatus.net: How many films to your credit now?

Ice Cube: I ain't never counted, but somewhere a little over 20.

Ballerstatus.net: When Chris Tucker pulled out of the "Friday" franchise, you bounced back and shut the critics down with the chemistry between you and Mike Epps. How did that slap in the face make you feel?

Ice Cube: [laughing] Well, you know it feels good to slap anyone in the face, especially the critics. I knew that I wrote the first "Friday" -- when I wrote Smokey -- I felt if I wrote a character like that the first time, I could do it again, find someone who could fit and is serious about doing their own thing, it would work. Thank God, I found Mike Epps, who was able to work with it. To me [Mike Epps] is the funniest guy I've worked with; he's just a natural fool on and off the camera. I am glad it all worked out and I'm glad people felt the movie and accepted Day-Day. My dream is to get all three of us to do another one -- me, Smokey and Day-Day. I ain't giving up on that.

Ballerstatus.net: Your acting skills in "XXX: State Of The Union" were phenomenal, and yet again, the critics weren't as kind. Do you see yourself being an action hero again?

Ice Cube: I don't know. I hope so, but those kinds of movies are big and they only come around every once in a while. I just want to do good films, whether I'm doing action movies, kid movies, comedy or drama. I just want to be proud of it and have people like it enough to support it more than once.

Ballerstatus.net: At what point in your career did you know you were a factor?

Ice Cube: I would have to say the Straight Outta Compton and Death Certificate albums, because it was my second solo record and it proved that Amerikkka's Most Wanted wasn't a one hit wonder. Also doing "Boyz N The Hood," I think it's what brought it all home, because people were able to see on screen that I had more to offer.

Ballerstatus.net: You have collaborated with some of everybody, who's been your all-time favorite collabo?

Ice Cube: I got to say Dre and me on "Natural Born Killaz," and me and Too Short.

Ballerstatus.net: Speaking of Dre, why can't you guys get it together? You know we are waiting?

Ice Cube: It's like we are busy doing us. And it's like, when I'm a priority to him, he's not a priority to me and vice versa. We are both busy doing our own thing and we are not going to make an album just because we can. You have two people on their own -- well you know what I am saying. He can't just send me some tracks and say write to this and we go to the studio and record, we need to take the time out to prioritize, marinate on it and make some hot music. We know when the time is right. We'll do it and it can't be done until the time is right. It has to be an album that people will respect or it won't work and people will know it. That'll be wack.

Ballerstatus.net: What's up with the Westside Connection?

Ice Cube: Nothing. WC and I are our doing our thing and that's about it.

Ballerstatus.net: Enough said. When you were coming up in the game, you had to be lyrical and be saying something in order to garner the respect today's artists get from a hot single. How do you feel about that?

Ice Cube: What happened to the substance?

Ballerstatus.net: Yes.

Ice Cube: I think that happened with the G-Funk era. Before then, it was the era of X-Clan, Public Enemy, Boogie Down Production or Ice T and people had a lot to say and they were committed like that, like myself. When the G-Funk era came along, it was more relaxed and people were trying to have fun with their lives and party. To defend that style, that's the style that opened rap music up to the DJ talking sh-- about the party and the artist talking about how fly they were. But, things all come back around and now people are looking for that again. It usually happens when the Republicans are in office with their foot on your neck and people need to hear something that will get their foot off your neck. I had sh-- to say about daddy Bush and now I have something to say about W.

Ballerstatus.net: Tell me about this new album, who you worked with and what we can expect?

Ice Cube: Laugh Now, Cry Later will be out June 6th. It's a classic Ice Cube album. Lil' Jon did about four tracks for me, some people out the west coast -- Butta, Lay-Low and D Mack. Scott Storch produced the first single, and Swizz Beatz did one. And I also got Snoop Dogg and WC. It's a record like the title, a west coast gangsta album. There are cuts on there that you can relate too and there are cuts that drop knowledge and drop science. I always try to put street knowledge out there. That's what this record does. It's a fun record too and everything...I would hope that's what you would get out of an Ice Cube album. If I have been sitting around waiting six years to make an album, I gotta do it right. But, I won't be waiting that long again.

Ballerstatus.net: Well I thank you for that. Again, I have to touch on your ability to relate to the regular cat in the hood. With your first collaboration with Lil' Jon, I was feeling it. But when I saw the video, you lifted up that mattress with the Dickies suit underneath, everyone in the house hopped up out of their seats and went berserk. The dudes were going crazy and all that resounded through the house was "My n---- Cube still got it. That's a real ass n----."

Ice Cube: People think when you get a certain age, you forget where you come from and that just ain't going to happen with me. It's who I am and I love to do sh-- like that, sh-- people don't expect me to do at this point in my career.

Ballerstatus.net: We touched on you still being relevant to your fans and you mentioned the fans need substance under the current administration. Is that the reason for a song like "Why we Thugs?"

Ice Cube: I'm from South Central L.A. and ain't nothing changed in the hood and it's been the same forever. I know n----s in the hood don't realize it, but the government is trying to do something about that. I just needed to put their antennas up per say and let them know it takes million dollar machines to make the $100 guns they push in our neighborhood. It's a plan and a trap that they got us in and we got to start recognizing that or we gonna be f---ed up. As long as I'm alive, I'm going to have stories to tell about the neighborhood I come from.

Ballerstatus.net: What about the song "Child Support?"

Ice Cube: "Child Support" to me is using rap like it's supposed to be used. You take relevant topics and flip them into metaphors and rhymes. "Child Support" is something everyone is dealing with. I don't care where you at. What I wanted to do is make a metaphor and say I'm the father of this gangsta rap in a lot of ways and I have a lot of rap bastards out there [laughing], and I aint paying child support for they bad asses. But, I do have a little advice for them in the song. That's how I flipped that.

Ballerstatus.net: How did you feel when Three 6 Mafia won the Oscar?

Ice Cube: All those trophies are the same to me. They don't mean anything to me. I am glad for them and hip-hop, but I like "Stay Fly" better.

Ballerstatus.net: When I originally heard you would be in the movie version of "Welcome Back Kotter," I was like, "Ice Cube is too short to play Boom-Boom." But then I heard Gabe Kaplan on NPR saying playing Mr. Kotter is a great role for you. When does the production start for that?

Ice Cube: Yeah, well, it hasn't started yet and I don't like to talk about that stuff until they get the money right. It's wishful thinking right now.

Ballerstatus.net: I can respect that, but if you take on the role, it would be a great addition to your efforts at always stretching yourself.

Ice Cube: Yeah, I'm going to flip it and make it better than the TV show.

Ballerstatus.net: Any message to your fans?

Ice Cube: Yeah, thanks for all the loyalty. My dedication to them and dedication to bring them the best of who I am is why I do what I do. Continue to support my work and know my new album will not disappoint them. Laugh Now, Cry Later in stores June 6th.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
Re: Another new Ice Cube interview...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 12:49:21 PM »
Ahahaahahah Smokey , Dey-Dey and Cube together ? that would be the shiiiit!!! lol

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 01:13:29 PM »

Ice Cube: He's good, I think he raps better than his daddy. I don't know if he'll have the impact, but as far as a rapper, he got lyrics.

Ice Cube: I think that happened with the G-Funk era. Before then, it was the era of X-Clan, Public Enemy, Boogie Down Production or Ice T and people had a lot to say and they were committed like that, like myself. When the G-Funk era came along, it was more relaxed and people were trying to have fun with their lives and party. To defend that style, that's the style that opened rap music up to the DJ talking sh-- about the party and the artist talking about how fly they were. But, things all come back around and now people are looking for that again. It usually happens when the Republicans are in office with their foot on your neck and people need to hear something that will get their foot off your neck. I had sh-- to say about daddy Bush and now I have something to say about W.

Many people on this forum are gonna hate him for that, I agree with what he said though.

Ballerstatus.net: Your acting skills in "XXX: State Of The Union" were phenomenal, and yet again, the critics weren't as kind. Do you see yourself being an action hero again?

Ha ha

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 01:53:26 PM »

Ice Cube: He's good, I think he raps better than his daddy. I don't know if he'll have the impact, but as far as a rapper, he got lyrics

I never would thought Cube would say that LMAO

Eihtball

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 05:49:34 PM »

Many people on this forum are gonna hate him for that, I agree with what he said though.

I been saying the same thing for a minute now...like that topic on "The Chronic" I posted a while back.  But it is the truth...hate it or love it, "The Chronic" did basically dumb down West Coast rap (and hip-hop in general) and open the door for all of the negativity we see today.