Author Topic: China Is Constucting A Giant Mao statue In Tibet  (Read 169 times)

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
China Is Constucting A Giant Mao statue In Tibet
« on: April 17, 2006, 02:00:21 AM »
Giant Mao statue erected in Tibet
The Chinese authorities say they are putting up a huge statue of Chairman Mao Zedong in Tibet.
The 35-ton memorial is being built to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the former leader's death.

It is being erected in Gonggar County, near the Tibetan capital Lhasa, China's state-run news agency Xinhua said.

The statue will rise 7m from a 5m pedestal strengthened to withstand earthquakes. Mao Zedong ordered the Chinese takeover of Tibet in 1950.

The statue will be the central landmark of Gonggar County's Shangcha square, which covers about 40,000 sq metres, and is scheduled for completion in July.

According to the Beijing authorities, the statue of Mao Zedong will be the largest of its kind in China and the first in Tibet.

Changsha, capital of Hunan province and Mao's hometown, has donated 6.5m yuan ($811,000; £461,000) towards the cost of the plaza and statue, Xinhua reported.

"Many Tibetan people suggested we should have a statue of Chairman Mao to show our gratitude," a local Communist Party official told Xinhua:

Mixed reaction

The BBC's Daniel Griffiths in China says the statue is likely to get a mixed reaction from many Tibetans.

From Beijing's perspective, the area has been part of China for centuries. But for many, the Chinese government is an occupying power which has shown scant regard for human rights or for Tibet's unique culture, our correspondent says.

Communist troops marched into Tibet in 1950. Nine years later, the region's spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, fled into exile along with tens of thousands of his followers after a failed uprising against Chinese rule.

Since then, China has exerted tight control over the region and this new statue of Mao Zedong is another reminder of Beijing's influence there, our correspondent adds.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4915122.stm

once again China is shitting on Tibet

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
Re: China Is Constucting A Giant Mao statue In Tibet
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 07:16:48 PM »
china has become such an economic force that it seems like there is no legitimate political pressure on them with regards to tibet; and every now and then they begin to threaten the sovereignity of taiwan as well.

buddhists are frequently getting a raw deal world wide.  i remember in "the third eye" the claim was made that the chinese invasion was prophesyied.  i wonder if the end to the chinese occupation and true tibetan indepence has also been prophesyied, because at this point it seem unlikely.
"a four letter word is going out to every single enemy" - kam

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 08:36:37 PM »
china has become such an economic force that it seems like there is no legitimate political pressure on them with regards to tibet; and every now and then they begin to threaten the sovereignity of taiwan as well.

buddhists are frequently getting a raw deal world wide.  i remember in "the third eye" the claim was made that the chinese invasion was prophesyied.  i wonder if the end to the chinese occupation and true tibetan indepence has also been prophesyied, because at this point it seem unlikely.

indeed, if one notices how quickly human rights disappeared off the agenda.

if the trade surplus keeps stacking and china doesnt do something about yuan devaluation, or if eventually the rivalry intensifies as china grows, u might see tibet n human rights be discussed again.
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 09:23:41 PM »

I tell ya, the new west culture is gonna be from China. They will run shit like the US did for the past 70 years.