Author Topic: Have you heard of Global Dimming ?  (Read 150 times)

K A I N

Have you heard of Global Dimming ?
« on: April 19, 2006, 08:55:40 AM »
Global dimming creates a cooling effect that may have led scientists to underestimate the effect of greenhouse gases on global warming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_dimming

9/11 Study when the entire US fleet was grounded...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/dimming_trans.shtml

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
Re: Have you heard of Global Dimming ?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 05:07:58 PM »
i saw it discussed on pbs a couple days ago; it led to the comical conclusion that decreasing particular pollution without decreasing greenhouse gasses would be dangerous and cause global warming to spiral out of control.  this is the very type of argument you would expect pollutors to make.

"a four letter word is going out to every single enemy" - kam

K A I N

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 06:15:11 PM »
i saw it discussed on pbs a couple days ago; it led to the comical conclusion that decreasing particular pollution without decreasing greenhouse gasses would be dangerous and cause global warming to spiral out of control.  this is the very type of argument you would expect pollutors to make.

I saw some PBS special on it last night  :)

You can decrease both pollutants but we're pretty much screwed.

coola

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 10:55:52 PM »
yeah i heard about this, cant decrease pollution LOL, if thats not a kick to the balls i dont know what is... but you goto have faith that technology will find a way around this when the time is right.

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 06:39:31 AM »
well, as kain mentioned the gist meant that greenhouse gasses needed to be addressed first, and then global dimming; so there is a course of action.  it just seems like the particular pollutants would put forth this sort of theory to get lawmakers and environmentalists off their backs; which amused me.
"a four letter word is going out to every single enemy" - kam