Author Topic: New Study Says Listeners Of Rap Music More Prone To Substance Abuse  (Read 815 times)

Trauma-san

Re: New Study Says Listeners Of Rap Music More Prone To Substance Abuse
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2006, 02:28:06 PM »
Listeners of rap are more likely to encounter problems with alcohol, drugs and violence than listeners of other genres

Bull shit!!!!!

Tell me how many rock n roll artists died of suicide (becuz of liquir and drugs), overdose, depression. Compare them numbers to Rap artists! Thats BULL SHIT.

They don't tell to go out and do drugs!

it says problems with drugs, alcohol, and violence.  Half the rappers out are either drug dealers, or get killed before they turn 30.  Is this really that big of a surprise? 

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2006, 02:33:07 PM »
I don't know about anybody else but I know I get pissed off when studies and people and shit bash the hip hop community. I don't see no other genre get critizied more than Hip Hop and I don't like it.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2006, 02:58:25 PM »
this is a community college poll. You ask most students there, I bet more black kids are also higher with substance abuse, and I bet more kids who come from low income are more than likely to use illegal substance, and I bet that most people that like R&B will more than likely have pre-marital sex. This ain't nothing new. It's a society thing more than it's music. People were on drugs for a long time, many cowboys did Opium, Coca Cola, or Coke, has coca plant which is also used to make cocaine, and rap artist now talk about weed. In about 20 years, someone else will be talking about another drug, they will more than likely be from the poorest class, which is represented by the poorest race. Don't be surprised

Eihtball

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2006, 03:19:18 PM »
I don't know about anybody else but I know I get pissed off when studies and people and shit bash the hip hop community. I don't see no other genre get critizied more than Hip Hop and I don't like it.

Well, whether or not we want to admit it, hip-hop right now is not making itself look very good in the eyes of outsiders.  Back in the days when gangsta rap was new and the conservatives were throwing fits about N.W.A. and Ice-T's lyrics, it was pretty easy to just laugh them off as a bunch of bible-thumping do-gooders who were looking for a scapegoat for society's problems.  Unfortunately, in the post 2Pac/Biggie era, even a lot of people within the hip-hop community are starting to realize that the line has been crossed between fictional violence and actual violence FAR too many times, and that many problems plaguing the black communities are in fact being made worse by gangsta rappers.

So, yeah, hip-hop gets criticized more than other genres because it's becoming impossible these days to tell the difference between rappers and thugs and vice-versa.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2006, 03:20:31 PM »
This isn't surprising to anyone, is it? Hip-hop beats tend to be very repetitive and melodic and therefore would be more appealing when under the influence.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2006, 03:22:57 PM »

Well, whether or not we want to admit it, hip-hop right now is not making itself look very good in the eyes of outsiders.  Back in the days when gangsta rap was new and the conservatives were throwing fits about N.W.A. and Ice-T's lyrics, it was pretty easy to just laugh them off as a bunch of bible-thumping do-gooders who were looking for a scapegoat for society's problems.  Unfortunately, in the post 2Pac/Biggie era, even a lot of people within the hip-hop community are starting to realize that the line has been crossed between fictional violence and actual violence FAR too many times, and that many problems plaguing the black communities are in fact being made worse by gangsta rappers.

So, yeah, hip-hop gets criticized more than other genres because it's becoming impossible these days to tell the difference between rappers and thugs and vice-versa.

Hip Hop is a culture and like everythig else its gonna get judged but who gives a fuck about what 'outsiders' think. Hip Hop wasn't created to please anyone. Right?

Eihtball

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2006, 03:30:16 PM »
Hip Hop is a culture and like everythig else its gonna get judged but who gives a fuck about what 'outsiders' think. Hip Hop wasn't created to please anyone. Right?

No, but it was also created to be constructive, not destructive, as it is right now.

And who gives a fuck what outsiders think?  Well, you apparently do since you're overreacting to this study.  Maybe it's not important to care what they think, but we should certainly care if gangsta rap is doing more harm than good.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2006, 03:45:12 PM »

No, but it was also created to be constructive, not destructive, as it is right now.

And who gives a fuck what outsiders think?  Well, you apparently do since you're overreacting to this study.  Maybe it's not important to care what they think, but we should certainly care if gangsta rap is doing more harm than good.

Gangsta rap is what it is. It's not constructive or destructive. Gangsta rap initially was started to tell how shit was going down in the west. It wasn't started to command people to go do drugs, go join a gang, go kill someone. They was just telling stories of that lifestyle.

I'm over reacting? I ain't over reacting. People do drugs so what its their decision. When people go out and make studies on how Hip Hop is more prone for the influnece is bull shit. What the fuck is that?

BLAME!

Eihtball

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2006, 04:18:58 PM »
Gangsta rap is what it is. It's not constructive or destructive. Gangsta rap initially was started to tell how shit was going down in the west. It wasn't started to command people to go do drugs, go join a gang, go kill someone. They was just telling stories of that lifestyle.

There's a difference between "commanding" and "glorifying".  Gangsta rappers may not tell kids to go out and join gangs, but they certainly glorify it.  Just look at the whole C-walking shit that Snoop, Xzibit, and WC popularized five years ago...suddenly all the kids in the suburbs were imitating the C-walk and throwing up gang signs.  It even reached a point that Snoop had to tell kids to stop doing it on record (the re-twist of "The Streets") because it became so common.  It's extremely fucking obvious that these rappers make it look cool to be a Loc, Damu, GD, whatever.  And the fact that gang membership reached its peak in L.A. during the 90s' probably has a lot to do with that as well.

I'm over reacting? I ain't over reacting. People do drugs so what its their decision. When people go out and make studies on how Hip Hop is more prone for the influnece is bull shit. What the fuck is that?

Yeah, and you're trying to act like hip-hop isn't responsible at all whatsoever.  It may be wrong to say hip-hop caused this shit, but it's not at all wrong to say hip-hop is making things worse, and if that's the case, we need to acknowledge it and try to make changes.  Not that I expect that'll happen...

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2006, 04:39:01 PM »
There's a difference between "commanding" and "glorifying".  Gangsta rappers may not tell kids to go out and join gangs, but they certainly glorify it.  Just look at the whole C-walking shit that Snoop, Xzibit, and WC popularized five years ago...suddenly all the kids in the suburbs were imitating the C-walk and throwing up gang signs.  It even reached a point that Snoop had to tell kids to stop doing it on record (the re-twist of "The Streets") because it became so common.  It's extremely fucking obvious that these rappers make it look cool to be a Loc, Damu, GD, whatever.  And the fact that gang membership reached its peak in L.A. during the 90s' probably has a lot to do with that as well.

Yeah, and you're trying to act like hip-hop isn't responsible at all whatsoever.  It may be wrong to say hip-hop caused this shit, but it's not at all wrong to say hip-hop is making things worse, and if that's the case, we need to acknowledge it and try to make changes.  Not that I expect that'll happen...

Well other music generes glorify what they do. Alot of people glorify what they do. Kobe glorifies basketball but that ain't gonna make every young star glorify it or want to do what he's doing. There is always gonna be followers. I ain't actin like hip-hop isn't responsible at all I know it has something to do with it cuz like I just said there are followers BUT I am a hip hop fan, a fan of gangsta rap, I listen to it but I don't get high or go out killing people. And I'm sure theres way more others like me. The only reason this study was made, at least I think, is too put blame on a culture that not alot of people are fond of becuz it tells a lifestyle!

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2006, 04:44:54 PM »

Hip hop didn't cause these problems but over the last few years, you can see some destructive effects. When gangsta rap started, it was more of a "reporting on what's happening" type of deal. No one was naming or claiming neighborhoods specifically. Now you have Snoop yelling out rolling 20's every chance he gets, Game yelling out cedars every chance he gets. That's glorifying gangbanging, there's no way around that. Posing in pictures with bandanas is definitely glorifying it.

Yeah we are all hip hop heads here and it's in our nature to get defensive about something that we love but open your eyes. You can't deny that the negativity that exists in some aspects is having an effect on society.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2006, 04:51:18 PM »
Hip hop didn't cause these problems but over the last few years, you can see some destructive effects. When gangsta rap started, it was more of a "reporting on what's happening" type of deal. No one was naming or claiming neighborhoods specifically. Now you have Snoop yelling out rolling 20's every chance he gets, Game yelling out cedars every chance he gets. That's glorifying gangbanging, there's no way around that. Posing in pictures with bandanas is definitely glorifying it.

Yeah we are all hip hop heads here and it's in our nature to get defensive about something that we love but open your eyes. You can't deny that the negativity that exists in some aspects is having an effect on society.

True. I see that. I dont got wool over my eyes. I get how Hip Hop can give off the sense to do this and do that but ya'll gotta feel me with all these damn studies having a type of blame on us. It's one big stereotype. Not EVERY person is gonna smoke a joint, Not EVERY person gonna join a gang but the shit like you said with Snoop and Game can stop.

Eihtball

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2006, 04:55:48 PM »
Well other music generes glorify what they do. Alot of people glorify what they do. Kobe glorifies basketball but that ain't gonna make every young star glorify it or want to do what he's doing. There is always gonna be followers. I ain't actin like hip-hop isn't responsible at all I know it has something to do with it cuz like I just said there are followers BUT I am a hip hop fan, a fan of gangsta rap, I listen to it but I don't get high or go out killing people. And I'm sure theres way more others like me. The only reason this study was made, at least I think, is too put blame on a culture that not alot of people are fond of becuz it tells a lifestyle!

Well, gangs are a serious problem in our communities right now.  There may be a lot of movies that glorify violence, but generally speaking, you don't have to worry about them influencing kids to imitate them because they're much closer to fiction than the truth.  Like, you wouldn't expect most kids to watch "The Matrix" and then try to fight off a whole SWAT team by themselves because that's science-fiction - it's easier to recognize that's not reality.  But anyone who lives in the right area can throw up a set and start gangbanging (or get put on the turf if they're REALLY that into it), and fuck up their whole life doing that.  And with gangsta rappers glorifying it, it seems more within grasp of reality, something they can do.

And you can say YOU may not become a loc or get loc'd out because you were influenced by a rapper to do that, but you don't speak for everyone.  There certainly are some cats who are taking the shit too seriously, and who are ruining their lives by getting into the gangsta lifestyle.  There's no doubt about it - gangsta rap is doing more harm than good right now.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2006, 05:09:38 PM »
And you can say YOU may not become a loc or get loc'd out because you were influenced by a rapper to do that, but you don't speak for everyone.  There certainly are some cats who are taking the shit too seriously, and who are ruining their lives by getting into the gangsta lifestyle.  There's no doubt about it - gangsta rap is doing more harm than good right now.

Ok right. But becuz rap is doing harm to us at the moment doesn't mean we should get shifted with blame and studies that are tryin to degrade us.

Okka

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2006, 05:21:03 PM »
These rockers is going out and doing it.....Half of these rappers (say so themselves) don't go out and actually abuse what they are sayin in they records
How often do you see Snoop with a rolled blunt in his hand in real life?

Do you know Snoop? I don't think so, so you can't ask a question like that and what do you mean in "real life", Snoop smokes everyday allday (that's what i've heard alot times)...