Author Topic: Are Muslims obsessed with sex?!  (Read 945 times)

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
Re: Are Muslims obsessed with sex?!
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 06:42:31 AM »
With the 70 virgins or whatever, discuss.

it's actually 72 wives, and that idea is not in the qu'ran, it's found in hadith.  hadith represents commentary and interpretation of the qu'ran attributed to the prophet muhammad himself, or those immediately around him.

one thing you should appreciate is that the qu'ran acknowledges directly that much of it is allegoric, that god uses allegory to communicate with people.

sura 2:26-27
(khalifah) GOD does not shy away from citing any kind of allegory,* from the tiny mosquito and greater. As for those who believe, they know that it is the truth from their Lord. As for those who disbelieve, they say, "What did GOD mean by such an allegory?" He misleads many thereby, and guides many thereby. But He never misleads thereby except the wicked, who violate GOD's covenant after pledging to uphold it, sever what GOD has commanded to be joined, and commit evil. These are the losers.   
(sher ali) ALLAH disdains not to give an illustration - as small as a gnat or even smaller. Those who believe know that it is the truth from their Lord, while those who disbelieve say, `What does ALLAH mean by such an illustration ?' Many does HE adjudge by it to be in error and many by it does HE guide, and none does HE adjudge thereby to be in error except the disobedient, Who breaks the covenant of ALLAH after having established it, and cut asunder what ALLAH has bidden to be joined, and create disorder in the earth; it is these that are the losers.   

ironically, in that same verse the qu'ran suggests some people will distort these metaphors to justify their own agendas.

as for the "72 wives" specifically, it's not in the qu'ran, it is in hadith.  the qu'ran mentions in several places that in heaven people will have pure chaste partners to enjoy heaven with.  thus all of the 72 wives would be chaste.  this seems to have developed from commentary on sura 55:72 (about the benefits of heaven):
sura 55:72
Fair maidens with lovely black eyes, guarded in pavilions

apparently in sunan al-tirmidhi (vol iv, chapt 21 hadith 2687 it states:
"The Prophet Muhammad was heard saying: 'The smallest reward for the people of paradise is an abode where there are 80,000 servants and 72 wives, over which stands a dome decorated with pearls, aquamarine, and ruby, as wide as the distance from Al-Jabiyyah to Sana'a."

thus, it's hearsay.  "the prophet muhammad was heard saying"...
additionally, it's allegoric, along the lines of heaven is what you wish it to be.  heaven is greater than what you would imagine...etc.  the western media has largely twisted this to suggest an obsession with sex; however 72 wives, 80,000 servants and a huge dome decorated with jewels is actually a message of great and enormous wealth in heaven.  every man would have his own kingdom.  it's only where in the west where they strip out the jewels and servants, and key in on the fact that the qu'ran states people will have chaste partners, are they able to portray an image of wealth into an image of sexual debauchery.

i suspect that the amount 72, may be related to the verse number (72) but this i cannot yet prove.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 06:47:16 AM by nibs »
"a four letter word is going out to every single enemy" - kam

Diabolical

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 07:47:36 AM »
"Real" and "Wise" Muslims don't bomb people, it's only impressionable teens, just like the ones who buy a DPG cd and come here pretneding to be a Crip.

coola

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2006, 08:12:25 AM »
72 wives aye ? maybe i am in the wrong religion...

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2006, 09:03:39 AM »

same god, same rewards...according to the qu'ran the true believers among the jews and sabians, and also the true believers among the christians (those that reject the trinity theory) are also going to recieve the same benefits in heaven.  so the qu'ran promises blessings even for those true believers outside of "islam" (as a religion and not a principle).

« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 09:07:29 AM by nibs »

coola

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2006, 10:09:45 AM »

same god, same rewards...according to the qu'ran the true believers among the jews and sabians, and also the true believers among the christians (those that reject the trinity theory) are also going to recieve the same benefits in heaven.  so the qu'ran promises blessings even for those true believers outside of "islam" (as a religion and not a principle).

to be completely honest with you, i would prefer my girl over 72 virgins. i'll take the trinity and my lady over your bullshit any day.

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2006, 10:29:48 AM »
to be completely honest with you, i would prefer my girl over 72 virgins. i'll take the trinity and my lady over your bullshit any day.

choose what you want; i'm simply relaying what it says. 

furthermore, i disagree with your premise.  i don't think the purpose of religion is to sacrifice for the sake of greater reward as you seem to suggest.   it's not a tradeoff, it's attaining a level of enlightenment; which includes genuine appreciation for this world and those in it.  much of that is lost when one focuses on trying to quantify the rewards; as is being done here.

coola

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2006, 12:44:35 PM »
^ whatever man, i just cant believe people can follow such a bullshit ass religion.

and maybe we were brought up different (myself to islam born children), but i still cant understand how islam can possibly be followed, its so out of whack its not even amusing. i just dont get it.

do you find christianity/catholics just as out of whack ?

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2006, 02:30:42 PM »
72 loaded credit cards u gotta pay for

Diabolical

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2006, 03:06:41 PM »
You don't need a religion to feel enlightened.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2006, 04:01:54 PM »
^ whatever man, i just cant believe people can follow such a bullshit ass religion.

and maybe we were brought up different (myself to islam born children), but i still cant understand how islam can possibly be followed, its so out of whack its not even amusing. i just dont get it.

do you find christianity/catholics just as out of whack ?

its cuz youre terrycloth

meaning u very soft
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

coola

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2006, 12:03:48 AM »
^ ha ! i dont see how not understanding islam makes me soft..

tech, do you find christianity to be awkward and bizarre in it's beliefs ?

coola

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2006, 12:04:16 AM »
72 loaded credit cards u gotta pay for

LOL

dexter

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2006, 11:32:08 AM »
Moslems are SAINTS.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2006, 10:23:28 PM »
tech, do you find christianity to be awkward and bizarre in it's beliefs ?

what does it mean to be awkrawd and bizzare? this is a matter of opinion, it is subjective.

Yes i find certain aspects of it bizarre. i find certain aspects of Islam bizaarre too.

I have no beef with christianity. I see much good in it. Ive seen too many good christains to hate on it.
But its not the faith for me. It leaves me with more questions than answers. I dont feel it to be a complete understanding of what our purpose is in this world.

I dont practice islam perfectly, and personally, there are aspects of Islam I am more down with than others, but I find peace in it. I find purpose. I know in my heart its the truth.
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

coola

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2006, 12:15:07 PM »
^ thats fair enough.

i goto apologise to the muslim peeps on this board for my bullshit. i was waaay out of line.

i'm not even huge on religion, i dont know why i decided to bash islam as much as i did.

me, i was born into a catholic family, but i dont wear a crucifix to proclaim my religion, i wear it because i think it's a sign of respect towards the greatest man that ever lived. if everyone strived to be like Jesus, it is sure the world would be a better place.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 12:17:11 PM by Chief »