Author Topic: Scolari move provokes mixed views  (Read 225 times)

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
Scolari move provokes mixed views
« on: April 27, 2006, 01:15:52 PM »

Scolari move provokes mixed views

FA offers England job to Scolari

There has been a strong reaction to the news that Luiz Felipe Scolari has been offered the England manager's job.

Football Association chief executive Brian Barwick has been in Portugal discussing terms with the Brazilian.

Gary Lineker said it would be a "strange" appointment because of the "obvious footballing differences between Brazil and England".

But former England assistant coach Don Howe said: "Scolari was impressive with Brazil in the last World Cup."

Brazilian Scolari is currently coach of Portugal's national team and will remain in charge of the Euro 2004 finalists for the World Cup finals in Germany this summer.

He was a World Cup winner in Korea and Japan in 2002 when he coached the Brazil team to victory.

Gary Lineker added: "Scolari has got a very good record - but that was with Brazil and Ronaldinho, so well done there - and I am surprised because he has got no connection with English football whatsoever.

"It would take him probably three or four years to come to terms with the style of our play, the frenetic nature of the English game, who the individuals are.

"He comes from even further away than Sven does in terms of knowing our players. It would be a big ask for him.

"If the FA's criteria was 'Let's get the best man from wherever he comes from', well you just knock Arsene Wenger's door down until he answers it."

Don Howe said: "Scolari handled Brazil well and was tactically clever.

"I thought we would be getting a British or Irish England coach - Martin O'Neill, Sam Allardyce, Alan Curbishley, Steve McClaren, I think all of those could have done the job.

"I don't know if Scolari is better but all you can do is go on reputation.

"He won the World Cup with Brazil and if he is good at handling experienced international players, with the big names they have got in Brazil, then so be it.

"At the last World Cup he was very good at seeing things going on out there on the pitch.

"He would be on his feet and he would pull and push these great players around. So that was very impressive."

Andre Kfouri, a reporter with the ESPN Brazil sports network, believes that appointing Scolari would ensure England had a proven coach of great ability.

"He is a motivator," Kfouri told BBC Radio Five Live.

"He knows everything about the game. He knows how to deal with different players and the main factor is his teams love him. His players do whatever it takes to win when they are playing for him."

And Kfouri confirmed that Scolari is learning English, adding: "He's studying right now, I can inform you."

But Birmingham chairman David Gold was furious at the news and claimed it was not what the majority of English people wanted.

"No matter how brilliant a coach someone from abroad may be, it is a betrayal of Englishmen and England fans," said Gold.

"We want an English manager that we can relate to. We all support the England team and part of that is an English manager. I expect the players and the manager to be English."

Gold's manager at Birmingham, Steve Bruce, ageed, stating: "I said from the outset that in my opinion it should go to an Englishman.

"I am not going to change that opinion but if he does get the job then I am sure that all of us working at this level will get behind him."

Zico, a fellow Brazilian and manager of the Japan national team, believes that the language barrier could be a significant issue.

"The main difficulty might be the language," said Zico. "So you need somebody to help you with that, somebody who knows your philosophy and knows what you're thinking.

"But the most important thing is to have deep knowledge about soccer in the country."

Leonardo, who won the World Cup with Brazil in 1994, believes Scolari would bring something different to the position.

"Football is changing so much, you need so many things to be competitive in a World Cup," Leonardo told BBC Sport. 

"The style of football in england is very famous all over the world, but if you have someone who can mix and create new things, maybe he's a good choice."

But Howard Wilkinson, currently chairman of the League Managers' Association, believes that the appointment would be bad news for the development of home-grown coaches.

"I don't think it's in the best interests of English coaches and that is what the FA is primarily there to do - to foster the best interests of English players and English coaches," said Wilkinson.

"English coaches have followed the FA line, they have worked hard to get themselves qualified but now, if this appointment is made, what the FA is saying is 'We say one thing but we do another'."

Manchester City boss Stuart Pearce said he could understand people's frustration that the FA has decided to try to appoint another foreign manager.

"I am surprised it's not an Englishman because the groundswell of public opinion seemed to be pushing towards someone of that nature," said Pearce.

"Whoever gets it will have my full support."

Blackburn boss Mark Hughes said: "For my money it's another blow to British coaching.

But he admitted that Scolari's record at international level is "outstanding".

Former England midfielder Peter Reid was disappointed that an English coach had been overlooked.

"I have done my pro license like Sam Allardyce, Alan Curbishley and Steve McClaren," said Reid.

"We paid £7,000 to do them and then when it comes to the top job none of the English lads get it, which I find really disappointing."

Portmouth manager Harry Redknapp said: "I would like to have seen one of the England lads get it.

"There are some great young managers in this country who could do the job no problem."

BBC Sport pundit Mark Lawrenson said: "If they appoint a young English manager people would say 'this is great'.

"But it's all about results and I think it should be the best man for the job. Scolari brings massive experience and he doesn't take any prisoners."

England and Preston legend Sir Tom Finney wanted to see a home-grown appointment.

"I would personally like to see Martin O'Neill appointed," said Finney.

"I'm quite surprised there could be another foreign manager after Eriksson.

"It's sad to see they've gone abroad for a manager when England taught the rest of the world how to play the game."
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 01:18:31 PM by Mac 10 »
NO MORE WAR

KURUPTION-81

Re: Scolari move provokes mixed views
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 03:56:38 AM »
I think its a great choice, none of the other british candidates are good enough.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Intriago33

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 04:16:19 AM »
I guess they didnt have the faith in the English front-runners.

Over the period with Sven it's always been about he hasn't got the passion/he's not english blah blah, so I thought they would of made an English appointment this time around.

There's no doubt Big Phil's a winner, but I am not fond of bringing in someone who can't speek the language. That being said, if he can work around the language-barrier, then he could be a very good appointment.

I'm a little shocked on the desicion though.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 08:17:34 AM »
I guess they didnt have the faith in the English front-runners.

Over the period with Sven it's always been about he hasn't got the passion/he's not english blah blah, so I thought they would of made an English appointment this time around.

There's no doubt Big Phil's a winner, but I am not fond of bringing in someone who can't speek the language. That being said, if he can work around the language-barrier, then he could be a very good appointment.

I'm a little shocked on the desicion though.

Yeah i was shocked also as i thought they were gonna go for an englishman, glad they aint.

I think Its more important to have tactical knowledge than been seen to have lots of passion IMO. Kevin Keggen was full of passion but was useless as England manger coz he was tactically inept.  Curbishley, Allardyce and Pearce arent good enough, im unsure over McClaren,in the league boro have been poor but in the cups they have performed. I never understand the people who slate Svens record but then say they want McClaren as manager, he is Sven's assistant, he already has a huge say in whats happening. If your not happy with how England are playing then thats down to Sven and McClaren.

Im sure Scolari can over come the language barrier like Benitez and Ranieri did when they came to english clubs.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 08:31:55 AM »
Thought this was an interesting read

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4950062.stm

The Football Association's tortuous search for a successor to Sven-Goran Eriksson may have been questioned - but no-one can doubt the pedigree of the man they have settled on.

Chief executive Brian Barwick was believed to have pin-pointed Martin O'Neill as first choice to take England forward to the next European Championship and World Cup.

But if Barwick can complete a deal to land Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari, he can ultimately feel happy with a job well done.

If Barwick was forced to search for a compromise candidate as O'Neill failed to get the required approval rating inside Soho Square, a man with a World Cup win with Brazil in 2002 and a Euro 2004 final with Portugal on his CV is a perfect alternative.

Of course, the traditionalists will throw up their hands in horror and complain in xenophobic fashion about "Johnny Foreigner" - rather like those who waded into Eriksson for the crime of not being Terry Venables.

And yes, an English manager would have been preferable, but this is surely a red herring.

Is Barwick expected to settle for second best or the downright unsuitable simply to fulfil a misplaced sense of national pride?

No. Barwick's job is to deliver a man to win a World Cup - and Scolari has proved he can deliver.

Is Scolari's track record at national level better than Steve McClaren's, Sam Allardyce's or Alan Curbishley's?

The answer is a resounding "yes" and no amount of bleating from the old guard or the League Managers' Association can change that.

And for those who question Eriksson's tactical nous, they can be happy the FA is closing in on the man who outflanked the Swede twice with Brazil and Portugal in crucial quarter-finals.

As for Scolari himself, those expecting another inscrutable Eriksson-style figure taking refuge behind the technical area are in for an awakening.

After watching another Scolari masterclass in media grandstanding after a victory against Holland in the Euro 2004 semi-final, I wrote: "If the antithesis of Sven-Goran Eriksson had been invented, it would have come in the shape of Luiz Felipe Scolari."

"Big Phil" was the showman of Euro 2004 - his touchline antics a performance in themselves and his media conferences a bizarre mixture of grand gestures, comedy, fury and conciliation - often all in the space of 30 seconds.

Scolari celebrated a crucial win by announcing he was off to give his wife a hug - and more besides.

He stopped a press conference to swat a fly, and left the room after victory against England with arms held aloft in triumph and blowing extravagant kisses to the assembled media.

When asked if he wanted to stay with Portugal, he pointed to his wedding ring and announced he wished to consummate a footballing marriage with them.

is safe to say this is not another Eriksson. Scolari's showmanship hides a steel and tactical appreciation that has twice proved too much for England - and a powerful weapon to strike down his detractors.

He was evangelical in preaching tactical discipline in Japan in 2002 and Portugal two years later, with world stars being welded into a no-frills framework for success.

And do not expect him to worship at the altar of David Beckham. The untouchable will not escape Scolari's scrutiny.

Luis Figo was the national icon and his face was the image of his country's Euro 2004 campaign, but when the member of the "golden generation" was not delivering against England in that tense quarter-final in the Stadium of Light, he was ruthlessly removed from the action.

Figo was criticised by a stunned nation for his sulking reaction, while Scolari was elevated to heroic status after his move helped turn defeat into victory.

Scolari also stood firm in the face of revolt in a move that put down a marker for his successful reign as Portugal coach.

When he decided to draft in the Brazilian-born midfield man Deco, Scolari was met with dissenting voices from proud men of Portugal such as Figo and Rui Costa.

Scolari's response was simple: "Anyone who does not want to play with Deco need not turn up."

Barwick may yet have to turn to one of his other candidates if talks with Scolari falter, and it is no reflection of the capabilities of McClaren, Allardyce or Curbishley that the Brazilian appears to have been selected ahead of them.

But if Barwick can close the deal to bring Scolari to England after this summer's World Cup, then all the criticism and questions he has faced may have been worth the trouble.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 01:00:27 PM »
I'm happy they are going with the best candidate over some stupid idea of nationalism when none of the British candidates were good enough for the job. Comparing him to Sven is pointless because they are complety different characters, Scolari will instill pride in the team, and has the tactical nous to actually have a plan B, something our last couple of managers have lacked.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 02:02:04 PM »
Didn he say he wont do it today ?

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 09:23:41 AM »

yeah he did.

question to the english on here.

does it seem to you that a lot of people (ie ppl like bobby charlton) are quite racist when it comes to picking a manager.

in the way the act like only an englishman will do for the post?

would u not accept a proven gifted manager like martin o'neill because he isnt english?  coz he certainly is good enough.
NO MORE WAR

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 02:22:20 AM »

yeah he did.

question to the english on here.

does it seem to you that a lot of people (ie ppl like bobby charlton) are quite racist when it comes to picking a manager.

in the way the act like only an englishman will do for the post?

would u not accept a proven gifted manager like martin o'neill because he isnt english?  coz he certainly is good enough.

I don't know what the problem is with all the people saying they don't want a foreigner. I think what they really mean is that they don't want another Sven, with it seems no real passion for the game.

It doesn't seem MON wants the job, as we know Barwick was very keen on him, but nothing really came of it. I'm not the biggest MON fan, but compared to the English candidates, he would appear to be better qualified due to at least having some European experience in the Champions League. Unless a new candidate comes into the picture, unfortunately I think we are going to end up with Steve McLaren getting the job, which is just going to be a continuation of the way we've played under Sven.