Author Topic: Where the name "Catholic" comes from...  (Read 920 times)

coola

Re: Where the name "Catholic" comes from...
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 05:26:19 PM »
ok so thats starting a new religion buddy. i see what you're saying, but in effect it's still starting a new religion...

we are getting off topic here.  infinite was suggesting that catholicism had pagan origins; and asking if people see a problem with this, as most of modern mainstream christianity derives from catholicism.

whether or not muhammad borrowed an "old" name for his "new" religion is irrelevent, as the "old" religion isn't some pagan religion.  muhammad embraces the "old religion".

do catholics embrace their pagan roots in a similar manner?

to justify things in religion, you often have to wriggle around, re-define, cloud the sky and shit.
I used to be a pain in the ass towards religious people, but now I just hold the liberal position that everybody has the right to have a certain attitude without noone to bitch about it, as long as he aint hurting anyone because of his attitude.
Fuck it, if religion is what makes ppl happy, more power to them.

for the most part i believe you are correct. 
at the same time people should be willing to defend what they believe in.  this isn't some sort of unfair assault; if infinite has questions...why not simply answer the questions?  if people wish to challenge infinite on his beliefs i'm sure he's ready to defend those.

thats because we dont have pagan beliefs.

coola

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 05:29:24 PM »

whats funny is, muslims dont concentrate on practising their religion, they put alot of concentration into bashing others religion, and hanging people for converting.

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 12:53:14 AM »
The pre-Muhammadal Islam was a pagan religion. This was actually the most essential change in it- transforming it into a monotheistic religion.
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 12:57:05 AM »
The pre-Muhammadal Islam was a pagan religion. This was actually the most essential change in it- transforming it into a monotheistic religion.

Hey buddy long time no see. Bulldozed any Palestinian homes lately?

Or were you part of the division that tears down olive trees?
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 01:29:47 AM »
I am stating historical fact here. 

The name Catholic was around before Jesus and it was the name of a popular religion in Rome.  After the popularity of Jesus had reached Europe and became prevelant amongst the people, Constantine decided at the Council of Nicea that they would co-opt Jesus into their religion, and still keep the same name.  This, by the way, was about 300 years after Jesus died.
I am stating historical fact here.

your a moron

Discuss.....

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2006, 04:25:13 AM »

If there's one thing you have shown us, it's that we should never underestimate your stupidity.
Pre-Muhammad Islam? Are you really this fucking retarded?
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

AndrE16686

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 06:16:17 AM »
Why do you keep making these threads?

coola

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 06:31:35 AM »

If there's one thing you have shown us, it's that we should never underestimate your stupidity.
Pre-Muhammad Islam? Are you really this fucking retarded?

haha waddup Jamal  ;D lovin how you werent postin until i to da geezy made a post  ;D