Author Topic: classic albums you dont feel???  (Read 1551 times)

Eihtball

Re: classic albums you dont feel???
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2006, 07:05:10 PM »
b/c lyrically its trash and he didnt say anything in one song.

Well, it's a party album, so you can't hold it to the same standards as "Illmatic" or "Ready To Die".  But for a party rapper, Snoop still has a great deal of depth - didn't you find his storytelling impressive on "Murder Was The Case"?  What about his cover of "Lodi Dodi"? (he was the first rapper to cover another rapper's song, BTW)  Or what about the pure freestyle skills he displayed on "Tha Shiznit"? (that song made me respect Snoop as an MC)  Yeah, it's easy to hold up "Doggystyle" to a lot of East Coast albums (and some other West Coast albums) and note that it's not nearly as intelligent or profound, but it was just so well-executed that I think it's earned its classic status.

Don Breezio

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2006, 07:11:07 PM »

Well, it's a party album, so you can't hold it to the same standards as "Illmatic" or "Ready To Die".  But for a party rapper, Snoop still has a great deal of depth - didn't you find his storytelling impressive on "Murder Was The Case"?  What about his cover of "Lodi Dodi"? (he was the first rapper to cover another rapper's song, BTW)  Or what about the pure freestyle skills he displayed on "Tha Shiznit"? (that song made me respect Snoop as an MC)  Yeah, it's easy to hold up "Doggystyle" to a lot of East Coast albums (and some other West Coast albums) and note that it's not nearly as intelligent or profound, but it was just so well-executed that I think it's earned its classic status.

See when i say i don't like it...I'm saying it without comparing it to any eastcoast albums...i've never liked it...even before i heard albums like illmatic or ready to die...personally i just think the album is crap

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2006, 07:48:50 PM »
Beasti Boys ain't hip-hop and def. aint classic

You can easily argue that Fight For Your Right and Sabotage aren't Hip Hop, but how can you listen to Paul's Boutique and say it isn't Hip Hop? You can say it sucks and I won't argue because to each his own but Paul's Boutique embodies more aspects of what Hip Hop was supposed to be than almost all of today's mainstream rap. You know if these guys were black everyone would be calling them pioneers, but since they're white people find ways to hate on them. If KRS released So Watcha Want it'd be just another notch in his belt of greatness but since its a bunch of goofy white guys it gets scoffed. I'm not even that big a fan but I can't for the life of me think of any other genre a song like Pass The Mic would fall under. Hip Hop didn't start with fabricated thug stories about how tough you are and it sure as hell isn't limited to that.

Professor P

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2006, 08:13:14 PM »

real talk

herpes

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2006, 08:23:32 PM »

I never said it wasnt classic im just sayin why people dont think its a classic.  I think it is classic.  Its quite possibly the greatest produced album of all-time and snoop had one of the best flows in rap on this album.

Professor P

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2006, 08:24:23 PM »

I never said it wasnt classic im just sayin why people dont think its a classic.  I think it is classic.  Its quite possibly the greatest produced album of all-time and snoop had one of the best flows in rap on this album.

Doggy Style is a calssic, Beastie Boys ainn't put out a classic.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2006, 08:53:19 PM »

I agree that Doggystyle is better than any Beastie album but just because Snoop has a better album than any Beastie album doesn't mean they haven't had a classic. For the record I'd currently take Sabotage over any single Snoop song, but my tastes cator towars slightly more edgy stuff.

Professor P

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2006, 08:54:43 PM »

I agree that Doggystyle is better than any Beastie album but just because Snoop has a better album than any Beastie album doesn't mean they haven't had a classic. For the record I'd currently take Sabotage over any single Snoop song, but my tastes cator towars slightly more edgy stuff.

Okay, I think Doggystyle certified gangsta rap as a real genre of hiphop.  I also feel Dre's production and Snoop's genius flow changed rap for the better. The album had not one bad song.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2006, 10:08:31 PM »
Beasti Boys ain't hip-hop and def. aint classic

You can easily argue that Fight For Your Right and Sabotage aren't Hip Hop, but how can you listen to Paul's Boutique and say it isn't Hip Hop? You can say it sucks and I won't argue because to each his own but Paul's Boutique embodies more aspects of what Hip Hop was supposed to be than almost all of today's mainstream rap. You know if these guys were black everyone would be calling them pioneers, but since they're white people find ways to hate on them. If KRS released So Watcha Want it'd be just another notch in his belt of greatness but since its a bunch of goofy white guys it gets scoffed. I'm not even that big a fan but I can't for the life of me think of any other genre a song like Pass The Mic would fall under. Hip Hop didn't start with fabricated thug stories about how tough you are and it sure as hell isn't limited to that.

^^That's right...I can't believe people are saying Beastie Boys aren't hip-hop...What a joke (the majority of) this board has become...Beastie Boys paved the way for a lot of MC's and are WAY MORE hip-hop than anything you hear on the radio nowadays...Without Beastie Boys, there would be no Eminem...They are recognized as pioneers in this game, and whoever doesn't see that is blind...They made it possible for other races (not just whites) to find a spot in hip-hop...PeACe

E-L-P

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 21 & Over
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2006, 01:30:20 AM »
Outkast - Aquemini
Nas - Illmatic

BTW: Beastie Boys' Licensed To Ill Was A Fuckin Dope Ass Album. Maybe You Guys Just Ain't Knowin About Real Old School Hip Hop, Or Are Just To Young, But Listen To The Album. Better Yet Just Listen To Posse In Effect Or Paul Revere. Classic.
Reasonable Doubt Was Definitely A Dope Album, Real Good Tracks On There, But I Agree, I Don't Think It's Classic

My Future Wife:

Okka

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2006, 01:37:20 AM »
my karma is about to get its ass kicked....

Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle

:puke:

The Watcher

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2006, 01:54:48 AM »
All Eyez On Me - For the same reason as all ya'll picked Life After Death, there is just too many songs to listen to it all the way the way thru, let the hating begin

I actually agree here..."All Eyez On Me" has a lot of classic cuts, don't get me wrong, but it's almost half filler and half dope tracks.  It's definitely an album that would've been better if it had been one disc instead of two, though I give Pac props for being ambitious.  But I still just don't feel the album as a whole.

As far as the people who have said "Life After Death"...I can understand that as well, but personally, I think that album had far less filler compared to "All Eyez On Me".  I can pretty much listen to "Life After Death" straight through without skipping many tracks (although the 2nd disc is a little weaker compared to the 1st, I'll give you that).

agreed, altho i can listen to life after death all the way through
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2006, 07:39:54 AM »
Criminal Minded

mrceo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • More Greens Than The Jolly Green Giant
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2006, 06:36:59 PM »
Outkast - Aquemini

Whoa, how do you say this?  Your entitled to your opinion but this album is amazing, I wanna hear your reasoning

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2006, 09:46:49 PM »
Nas - Illmatic

:o

OK, my picks.

Life After Death is only a classic because Biggie died. Had WAY more fillers than All Eyez On Me. Biggie put trash songs on disc two that have no replay value, and has no lyrical content, and some of the songs he sounds too high or drunk and slurs through the songs. It was a commercial album, that was made to make Biggie a huge superstar, which it did, but was not a classic. It was a classic, in the same way my second album is a classic.

Doggystyle was not meant to be a classic, it was meant to show case Snoops ungodly flow at the time, over Dr. Dre smooth beats, and be so easy on the ears. Both Life After Death and Doggystyle have to be the two easiest albums to listen to front to back on the first listen. But like Ready to Die, some songs have no replay value, his rhymes in most songs are about the same thing over and over again, but with different words, and like Life After Death, it was nothing more than a great listening album that would launch the artist to commercial superstardom, not a classic album. There is a huge difference.

The Chronic is Snoop's greatest classic, he was rapping about something, most of the time, and the production was off the chains. Only problem was, it was Dr. Dre's album. Ready to Die is a pure classic by every sense of the word. These are these artist classic albums, no need to list anything else.

As for others...

All Eyez On Me, the last two songs on each disc are not good closers at all, take those songs off and you have a great A, quality classic album. Makaveli and Me Against the World were his start to finish classics, both have HIGH replay value, great production, and in depth lyrics with some classic lines.

Blueprint, it was 4.5, no question, but it seemed to forced to be a classic. It was like Jay-Z was forcing himself to have a classic, and did not succeed. I do think Reasonable Doubt is a classic, the production was good, his lyrics were on point, and it had that feel like it was effortless.

Anything from Tribe Called Quest not there first two albums. I hear too much that they had 3 or 4 classics. The first two were classics, and there albums seemed like bragging about classics. And honestly, I only think The Low End Theory is a classic.

For the record, I think Aquemini is a classic. It was forgotten in it's own era, but it was a straight Hip-Hop record that has great replay value, which is why people still mention it, and it was creative, different, and just straight out too good not to be a classic. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill  is also, but it's a Hip-Hop classic in that Mary J. way. It's a great soul record with a Hip-Hop twist. Made Lauryn Hill the greatest female rapper of all time.