Author Topic: Recognition of Armenian Genocide causes Turkey to withdraw an Ambassador  (Read 286 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson

Turkey protests Harper's marking of genocide
working.com jobs
Aydemir Erman has been 'called back' to Turkey to discuss the prime minister's comments about the Armenian genocide.

* View Larger Image

Aydemir Erman has been 'called back' to Turkey to discuss the prime minister's comments about the Armenian genocide.
Photograph by : Pat McGrath, The Ottawa Citizen

Article Tools

* Printer friendly

Font:

Allan Woods, The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Saturday, May 06, 2006

Turkey has recalled its ambassador to Canada as the country plots a response to Stephen Harper's recent acknowledgement of the 1915 Armenian genocide -- one of the most disputed and politically fraught events of the 20th century.

The prime minister's statement April 19 to mark the "sombre anniversary" -- the first time that Canada has made one -- has ignited a furore in Ankara that appears set to boil over.

An official at the Turkish Embassy in Ottawa told CanWest News Service that Aydemir Erman has not been formally withdrawn from Canada over the prime minister's comments, but he has been "called back" to Turkey to discuss with government officials what steps will be taken to express displeasure with the remarks.

Those options include the formal withdrawal of Turkey's top diplomat in Canada, a threat Turkey has made to Canada and other countries in the past.

"The ambassador is now travelling to Turkey because our authorities have asked him to join them for consultations and, indeed, it is related to what's been happening here in the last week or so here in Canada with the prime minister's declaration," said Yoney Tezel, a counsellor with the embassy.

The government's official position that 1.5 million Armenians were killed in a "genocide" adds Canada to a group of about 25 other countries, including France, Russia and Argentina.

"For us, this is a serious matter," Mr. Tezel said. "The Armenian claims are a direct attack on our identity, on Turkey's history. We feel it's unfair. That's why when these claims find some recognition we always consider that something negative."

Mr. Harper's statement, delivered on the 91st anniversary of the bloodbath, noted that both the Senate and the House of Commons have adopted motions acknowledging that a genocide took place.

"My party and I supported those resolutions and continue to recognize them today," he said.

On April 25, Turkey's Foreign Ministry issued a statement accusing Mr. Harper of exhibiting a "gravely prejudiced attitude."

"Such statements ... are not only counter-productive to the atmosphere of dialogue we wish to build between Turkey and Armenia, but also adversely affect the relations between Turkey and Canada," the Turkish government said.

After Mr. Harper's statement, a Turkish newspaper, Hurriyet, reported that Canadian companies would be barred from bidding on contracts related to the construction of a major nuclear power plant.

Arif Babikian, executive director of the Armenian National Committee of Canada, said Turkey has reacted similarly in the past.

"In 2002, when the Senate passed a resolution, they also threatened and blackmailed Canada that they are going to cut the relationship and boycott Canadian companies and nothing happened," he said.

"They did the same thing in 2004 when the House of Commons passed a resolution. Now they are using the same tactics."
© The Ottawa Citizen 2006

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=cd6618e1-508d-4d27-a607-18e10e743d28

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Sikotic™

I don't get it. After 91 years, the Turkish gov't still doesn't want to recognize what happened no matter what.

Props to Canada though.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
yup props
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I don't get it. After 91 years, the Turkish gov't still doesn't want to recognize what happened no matter what.

Props to Canada though.

quite sad. Turkey should just issue a formal apology and move on. realize theyve made mistakes in the past and move on to better themselves and mend those mistakes.

Diabolical

Turkey are really stubborn, they still won't let Cyprus have independance even though they invaded it wrongfully.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Turkey are really stubborn, they still won't let Cyprus have independance even though they invaded it wrongfully.
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
um im sorry but its the turkish side who accepted the UN peace agreement and greek cypriots still do not.......

but yeah they stubburn as fuck, they won't even discuss the armanian genocide at home and won't recognise cypris which is a member of the EU which they want to join, but when u go back to my first point u can see why.

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Jay_J

guys, please be calm. you dont know the truths, you believe what you heard first.
first look here
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=108543.25
http://www.turkishresponse.com/english/index.html

then come back to cyprus. i really cant figure it out, you really dont know what happened in Cyprus? about 40 years ago, greeks started to kill all Türks in Cyprus. Cyprus was a country who managed by Türks and Greeks. But they wanted to make a Cyprus which only greeks on it.Greeks first arrasted innocent turk parliementers and found a new Greek government on Cyprus. Greek soldier,gangs started to kill Turks,women,children and men.103 village destroyed

(a türk mother found in bath whit her children)

Nobody say anything,England,U.S.A,France...They all quite about this genocide. Türkiye was quarantor for Cypress, the other quarantors were Greece and England. Türkiye have talked them to stop this genocide. But they say nothing. So Türkiye decided to resque their brothers and make a peace on Cyprus. We did it in 1974 by Peace Operation.We seperate the island, south cyprus and north cyprus. South is Greeks', North is Türks'. Since so many years. There are peace on Cyprus. But Emperialists nevet let Turks have a country. Because greesk are their friends, they can use south cypruss to manage middle east. But they cant use north. they cant have army on north. We are a nation against to emperialism. THey never like turks. They were quite when Turks killed by armanians in 1ww,they were quite when azeri turks killed by armanians in 1991, they were all quite when turks killed in cyprus.

Do you know that, if any country in Europe has frontier problem,this country cant be in Europen Union. But they never see this law, when they get the South Cyprus in E.U. You have no knowledge about world. You only see what they wanted to make you see. I am laughing at people dont know the truths and talkin lies. Our enemy is ignorance

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
guys, please be calm. you dont know the truths, you believe what you heard first.
first look here
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=108543.25
http://www.turkishresponse.com/english/index.html

then come back to cyprus. i really cant figure it out, you really dont know what happened in Cyprus? about 40 years ago, greeks started to kill all Türks in Cyprus. Cyprus was a country who managed by Türks and Greeks. But they wanted to make a Cyprus which only greeks on it.Greeks first arrasted innocent turk parliementers and found a new Greek government on Cyprus. Greek soldier,gangs started to kill Turks,women,children and men.103 village destroyed

(a türk mother found in bath whit her children)

Nobody say anything,England,U.S.A,France...They all quite about this genocide. Türkiye was quarantor for Cypress, the other quarantors were Greece and England. Türkiye have talked them to stop this genocide. But they say nothing. So Türkiye decided to resque their brothers and make a peace on Cyprus. We did it in 1974 by Peace Operation.We seperate the island, south cyprus and north cyprus. South is Greeks', North is Türks'. Since so many years. There are peace on Cyprus. But Emperialists nevet let Turks have a country. Because greesk are their friends, they can use south cypruss to manage middle east. But they cant use north. they cant have army on north. We are a nation against to emperialism. THey never like turks. They were quite when Turks killed by armanians in 1ww,they were quite when azeri turks killed by armanians in 1991, they were all quite when turks killed in cyprus.

Do you know that, if any country in Europe has frontier problem,this country cant be in Europen Union. But they never see this law, when they get the South Cyprus in E.U. You have no knowledge about world. You only see what they wanted to make you see. I am laughing at people dont know the truths and talkin lies. Our enemy is ignorance

Ey why does your coon country wannabe european so bad?
why are you guys ashamed of your beautiful history and legacy?
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Jay_J

you are right we got beatifull history, clean history, U.S and U.K. still reading old Ottoman documents to how manage the different nations in one counry with peace. But the difference Turks were never emperialists, thats why we manage asia,europe and middle aisa together for along time in peace. We türks are asian, but we came to europe, we learnd europe, europe learned türks, turks became a lil bit europen. We still ASIAN, but we are a lil eurosian. I and smart guys who loves their country dont wanna be in E.U. because, E.U. are the enemy of Türkiye, E.U. parliementers say it. E.U. is an emperialist union to manage world. We are the first country who wins agains emperialism. we still Türks. After ATATÜRK's dead we bacame bad day by day. People who supported by U.S and E.U. are the government. But we will change it one day,it's hard today but as A French historian says "Türks start at moment which others give up"

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
I've been reading more about the Armenian/Turkey conflict, here's some points I want to bring up.

-First and foremost, I am pleased to note that the deportation and exile of the Armenians which we are discussing on this thread, did not happen on Sultan Abdul Hamid's watch.  Sultan Abdul Hamid represented Pan-Islam and was the last strong Khalifah with real power and authority to govern the Muslim world.  He was removed from office in 1908, when the Empire was in great decay.  Then, around five years after he was removed the mass deportation of the Armenians took place. 

-The same forces that in Turkey that brought about the removal of Sultan Abdul Hamid, are the same forces responsible for the Armenian deportation, they are Turkish nationals, and after the Turks had been cornered in on all sides by other nations and races, they naturally became very defensive.

-According to the articles I've read, the Armenians were only deported in the area's in which they were sabatoging and rebelling against the Ottoman's.  Infact, there was a document being promoted in America by some Armenian organizations in which they stated they were willing to lose half their population in order to fight for independance against the Turks.  The Turks fought to suppress that rebellian in the same way the Union fought against the South in the Civil War in America, it was a bloody war, with many deaths on both sides.

...biggest point I want to make is that this event did happen while the Pan-Islamic Khaliphate was in power in the Ottoman, but it was perpetrated by Turkish nationals who removed Sultan Abdul Hamid and afterward took power and control and eventually dissolved the Khaliphate alltogether.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)