Author Topic: Germany Airs Cartoon 'Popetown' where the pope is portrayed as a child  (Read 469 times)

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
If this was about Islam shit would be popping off again for realz
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 02:02:32 AM by Don Rizzle »

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Is the link correct?
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Christianity is mocked all the time and no one gets too upset. The new film the Da Vinci Code claims that jesus was married to Magdalene and that they had children. here is the US, the University of Oregon had an art exhibit that had tons of works mocking Jesus, including one showing him in the air while nailed to a handglider.

Things like that piss me off but I can't threaten to kill the people behind it the way Muslims do.

Eihtball

Christianity is mocked all the time and no one gets too upset. The new film the Da Vinci Code claims that jesus was married to Magdalene and that they had children. here is the US, the University of Oregon had an art exhibit that had tons of works mocking Jesus, including one showing him in the air while nailed to a handglider.

Things like that piss me off but I can't threaten to kill the people behind it the way Muslims do.

Christian groups all around the world are calling for this film to be banned, and Catholics in India are actually starving themselves in protest (don't know why).  Also, some of them are burning an effigy of Dan Brown:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060510/ennew_afp/afpentertainmentindia_060510202033

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Is the link correct?
ooops sorry i tried to copy the video link but obviously it didn't work

Controversial Popetown out on DVD
A cartoon deemed too offensive to be broadcast on the BBC because of its depiction of the Pope, is to be released on DVD.
Popetown - which features corrupt cardinals and an elderly Pope on a pogo stick - was commissioned by BBC Three in 2002, but later rejected.

BBC bosses were concerned the 10-part animation, set in a fictional Vatican, would offend Catholics.

It features comics Matt Lucas, Bob Mortimer and Mackenzie Crook.

Crook, who starred in The Office, also wrote some of the episodes.

Popetown director Phil Ox said: "I am glad this DVD is finally out there."

The show also includes the voices of comedienne Ruby Wax as the pontiff and model Jerry Hall as a fame-hungry nun,

'Scurrilous'

"Many Catholics view this as an irreverent, gratuitous and publicly funded attack on their faith," said Joseph Devine, Bishop of Motherwell.

But Mr Ox took a more light-hearted stance, jokingly warning that "viewing this show can destroy your soul".

Last year BBC Three controller Stuart Murphy said it had been an "extremely difficult" decision to pull the show.

"There is a fine judgement line in comedy between the scurrilously funny and the offensive," he said.

"Once we saw the finished series, it became clear that the programme fell on the wrong side of that line."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4137300.stm
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 02:06:00 AM by Don Rizzle »

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

*Z* - The Queen of Dubcc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "u gotta give respect to get respect"
yea it caused lots of trouble in first place in bavaria (the most religious part of germany, mostly catholic). bishops were protesting and debating on this topic the last days.
"I grew up on the chill-side, the no-big-deal-side, staying alive was no problem"
[J-Live]

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
yea it caused lots of trouble in first place in bavaria (the most religious part of germany, mostly catholic). bishops were protesting and debating on this topic the last days.

davon hab ich garnix mitbekommen  :D 

aber schau zur zeit auch keine nachrichten
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

*Z* - The Queen of Dubcc

• Muthafuckin' Don!

davon hab ich garnix mitbekommen  :D 

aber schau zur zeit auch keine nachrichten

hammer wusste gar nicht dass du aus deutschland bist lol.
 ;D
ich schaue zur zeit auch keine nachrichten, hab davon aber in letzten tagen gehört.
"I grew up on the chill-side, the no-big-deal-side, staying alive was no problem"
[J-Live]

coola

the catholics protesting to it are rediculous imo... they are only making the conspiracy more real.

it's a movie, if a movie has enough power to change someones faith, then they shouldnt be following that religion in the first place.

any real catholic would dis-regard the movie in an instant.

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
the catholics protesting to it are rediculous imo... they are only making the conspiracy more real.

it's a movie, if a movie has enough power to change someones faith, then they shouldnt be following that religion in the first place.

any real catholic would dis-regard the movie in an instant.

I am a Catholic and I could care less about this movie.

*Z* - The Queen of Dubcc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
well, i dont think this is rediculous. first not all catholics are protesting, most of the catholics i heard of were basically discussing or rather debating on this movie. why shouldnt they be allowed to state their minds if they feel the need to do so?

besides i dont think that it necessarely means that this movie changes their faith only becuz they pay attention to this cartoon or that it separates the "real catholics" from the "unreal" (whatever)

this is something natural, if there was a movie about a topic that touches you personally, wouldnt you like to watch it and discuss it?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 04:17:25 AM by Zet »
[J-Live]

Eihtball

I am a Catholic and I could care less about this movie.

Of course you care...all Catholics starve themselves and burn effigies of Dan Brown on their lawns in retalation for this movie.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
\ here is the US, the University of Oregon had an art exhibit \

you took time off from moping the dorm floors to check it out?
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Just Another Sunny day in California

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Twin Turbos....yeeeee
i am Catholic and i don't believe in the Da Vinci Code, though i think Da Vinci was a smart muthafucka and i view him as one of the greatest minds this earth has ever seen.  but i have to admit everything i've read and seen about on the History Ch. or National Geographic Ch. is really interesting, how they form their ideas as to why Jesus was married and so forth but though i find it interesting i do no believe it nor does it affect my stance on my religion and beliefs
Oh I like this one... One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy's sayin', "Whadda ya want from me?

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Sprechen Sie Englisch Sie stumme Deutsche