Author Topic: US considering making English the national language....  (Read 819 times)

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
US considering making English the national language....
« on: May 19, 2006, 03:49:05 PM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20060518-114129-1805r.htm

Reid calls language proposal racist
By Charles Hurt
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
May 19, 2006

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid called a proposal to make English the official language "racist" on the Senate floor yesterday.
    "This amendment is racist. I think it's directed basically to people who speak Spanish," the Democrat said during the already tense debate over immigration reform.
    Moments later, the Senate approved the measure on a 63-34 vote. Virtually all Republicans were joined by 11 Democrats to approve the largely symbolic amendment. Immediately following that vote, the Senate approved a second amendment, declaring on a 58-39 vote that English is the "common and unifying language."
    Such proposals enjoy overwhelming support among American voters.
    A poll by Zogby International earlier this year found that 84 percent of Americans say English should be the official language of government operations. The same poll found that 77 percent of Hispanics agree.
    And it's a bipartisan issue, according to the poll, which found that 92 percent of Republicans and 82 percent of Democrats approve making English the country's official language.
    Mr. Reid's charge of racism caused a stir of whispers in the Senate chamber and gallery, and Sen. James M. Inhofe, the Oklahoma Republican who offered the amendment, was clearly offended.
    As Mr. Reid continued his floor speech, an aide passed him a note on a folded sheet of yellow legal paper. After reading the note, the Nevada Democrat tried to clarify his remarks.
    "Even though I feel this amendment is unfair, I don't in any way suggest that Jim Inhofe is a racist," Mr. Reid said. "I don't believe that at all. I just believe that this amendment has, to some people, that connotation -- not that he's a racist, but that the amendment is."
    It's certainly not the first time that Mr. Reid has used stark language in the debate over immigration.
    "Our federal wallet is stretched to the limit by illegal aliens getting welfare, food stamps, medical care and other benefits without paying taxes," he said in 1993. "These programs were not meant to entice freeloaders and scam artists from around the world."
    Earlier this year, Mr. Reid confessed on the Senate floor that his anti-immigrant fervor "mostly lasted about a week or two" before his wife brought him around to the more open position he holds today.
    But nearly a year after his "freeloaders" statement, Mr. Reid was on the Senate floor criticizing immigrants again and worrying about their cultural impact.
    "We must reduce the annual admissions of legal immigrants to more moderate levels in order to provide for a better country -- both environmentally and socially -- in the years to come," Mr. Reid said, according to a June 16, 1994, report by States News Service.
    When Mr. Inhofe took to the floor yesterday, he didn't address Mr. Reid over his charge of racism but did defend his proposal.
    "I think it's an insult to Hispanics to say that we are not going to have English as the national language because you're not capable of operating and speaking and succeeding in a country like this," he said.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 03:54:00 PM by Real American Iz Active »

J Bananas

Re: US considering making English the national language....
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 03:59:04 PM »
they should put immigrants who cant speak english in death camps

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 04:08:30 PM »
I think it's a good idea that America has a national language, to reflect the country which is largely English speakers. Not that it matters, beacause like the article said it's a largely symbolic Amendment. It won't really change much.

Did this sentence strike anyone else as a little stupid? Or is it just me?
"I think it's an insult to Hispanics to say that we are not going to have English as the national language because you're not capable of operating and speaking and succeeding in a country like this," he said.

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 04:11:05 PM »
I was watching the news today and they asked some guy from El Salvador about his opinion on this issue and he says "Well...I'm against it because I want to still speak my native language with my family." and another dude said "Well, Spanish used to be the native language here, so why should it change."

Either he's mentally retarded or trying to be a smartass. Personally, I'm all for this. You go anywhere else in the world, they're not gonna cater to you or make documents in your language. It will make things more universal too.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

J Bananas

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 04:17:31 PM »
I think it's a good idea that America has a national language, to reflect the country which is largely English speakers. Not that it matters, beacause like the article said it's a largely symbolic Amendment. It won't really change much.

Did this sentence strike anyone else as a little stupid? Or is it just me?

yeah the quote is kinda dumb but the guy is just nicely telling mexicans if you dont learn to speak english in America you are a dumb fuck. i happen to agree

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 03:44:34 AM »
wow i though english was the official language already....wow

anyways like siko said if you go anywhere else in the world they're not going to cater to you if you can't speak the native tounge...

also i think it's pretty indignant to come here and not even bother to learn the language, no one is telling you to forget your old one....just learn the one that is spoken here, hell me and and all my family did that, we all speak two languages

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 04:52:52 AM »

I have to admit I was also left by suprise when I found out 'bout this just recently
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

*Z* - The Queen of Dubcc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "u gotta give respect to get respect"
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 05:04:07 AM »

I have to admit I was also left by suprise when I found out 'bout this just recently

yea me too. i dont get how this amendment is supposed to be racist??? it doesnt mean that they have to cease speaking their native language and give up their culture or anything. this statement is pointless.
"I grew up on the chill-side, the no-big-deal-side, staying alive was no problem"
[J-Live]

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 08:25:46 AM »
It is a typical move by Democrats/liberals. If you disagree with something, don't use reason or facts to make a case against it, just call it racist.

Sikotic™

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 01:06:26 PM »
Yeah, I was surprised by this too. It's just assumed that English is the official language in the US

It is a typical move by Democrats/liberals. If you disagree with something, don't use reason or facts to make a case against it, just call it racist.
Someone upset that this issue isn't controversial and that we all agree with him ;D

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 01:10:06 PM »

Someone upset that this issue isn't controversial and that we all agree with him ;D

I admit this thread didn't turn out the way I wanted it.

Don Seer

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 01:13:32 PM »

funnily.. english isnt the only language in the UK (ok england maybe...) but welsh is still spoken in wales..
and america is a much more racially diverse country than the UK.. home of the english language.

Sikotic™

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 01:17:57 PM »

I admit this thread didn't turn out the way I wanted it.

If it makes you feel better, I think in addition to English, Ebonics should be an official language as well.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 01:19:23 PM »

If it makes you feel better, I think in addition to English, Ebonics should be an official language as well.

You son of a bitch!!!!!! DAMN LIBERALS!!!!

J Bananas

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 01:37:06 PM »
remember when they taught ebonics in oakland public schools? theres somethin to bitch about