Author Topic: Lord Goldsmith Considers War Crimes Charges Against Israeli Soldiers  (Read 346 times)

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Goldsmith to examine Gaza deaths
The attorney general is visiting Israel to seek evidence as he considers bringing charges against two Israeli soldiers who killed two Britons.
James Miller, 34, a Devon film-maker and Tom Hurndall, 22, a London peace activist, were shot dead in separate incidents by soldiers in Gaza in 2003.

Relatives of the men have asked Lord Goldsmith QC to prosecute for war crimes under the Geneva Convention.

During his trip he will meet Israeli ministers and military officials.

Israeli military prosecutors have insisted that further prosecutions will only take place if fresh evidence emerges.

But Lord Goldsmith said he believed the Israeli authorities would give him their full cooperation.

He said while in Israel he would be considering "whether there ought to be prosecutions here in either of these cases".

"I will carefully consider this without any preconceptions," he said.

"This is not about raising expectations about whether anything is going to happen one way or another."

Lord Goldsmith is hoping to meet Israeli Attorney General Meni Mazuz, Minister of Defence Amir Peretz and Minister of Justice Haim Ramon.

He is also seeking an appointment with the country's military advocate general, Brigadier Avichai Mendelblitt.

Unlawful

Mr Hurndall was moving children away from the army in the Palestinian town of Rafah when he was shot in April 2003.

Mr Miller was gunned down only a mile away three weeks later as he was making a film about Palestinian children.

Israeli Defence Force (IDF) soldier Sergeant Taysir Hayb is serving an eight-year sentence for the manslaughter of Mr Hurndall but so far no one has been convicted of shooting Mr Miller.

Last month an inquest jury in London decided Mr Miller's shooting was unlawful and that the father-of-two had been murdered.

During the inquest Mr Miller's widow Sophy named the soldier who shot her husband as First Lieutenant Heib, from the Bedouin Desert Reconnaissance Battalion.

It was said he had been due to face a disciplinary hearing, but was acquitted by the head of the army's Southern Command.

Mrs Miller has requested for all the evidence from the military police investigation to be released.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/5003160.stm

Published: 2006/05/21 23:28:17 GMT

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

J Bananas

there's someone actually named Lord Goldsmith? awesome

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
goldsmith is his surname, lord is his title

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

J Bananas

anyways, yeah there definetly needs to be charges brought up

Mr Hurndall was moving children away from the army in the Palestinian town of Rafah when he was shot in April 2003.

what the fuck?!?

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
anyways, yeah there definetly needs to be charges brought up

what the fuck?!?

It's actually quite common for Israeli soldiers to shoot peace activists. Once they even went as far as bulldozing over one.
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
of course...i mean its not like theres any sense of accountability or responsibility

IDF Uniform= Immunity
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
IDF Uniform= Immunity

I agree, though this could be applied to uniforms of other armies as well, especially at times of war.
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
so plaestinian freedom fighters should have immunity?

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion

I don't know whether they should have it, that's a different discussion, though I know they have it as far as P.A "laws" are concerned.
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!

I don't know whether they should have it, that's a different discussion, though I know they have it as far as P.A "laws" are concerned.

LOL... of course it is...
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker